Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My poor boys!!!!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My poor boys!!!! Empty My poor boys!!!! Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:52 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

My two oldest boys are spending a night in the trenches like the soldiers did/do. This is part of the Remembrance Day program in our area. They march carrying their gear for 3 km then dig trenches which must be shoulder deep, then sleep in their trenches when they are not doing "soldier drills". There are usually a couple soldiers come and spend the night with the kids in the trenches. The next morning the kids all have to speak about a family member or friend who had served or is currently serving at the Remembrance Day ceremony. It is an awesome thing for the kids as it makes it a little more real what the soldiers go through daily!!   It is a balmy -22 here right now. I have a feeling they may get a little chilly!!

I am so proud of the ex-marine now teacher who organizes this every year. He was recognized with the queens medal this year for doing this!!  

God bless all the serving soldiers and ex-soldiers. We will remember you and all your fallen comrades!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

2My poor boys!!!! Empty Re: My poor boys!!!! Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:26 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hope they are okay. That's bloody cold to be out in sleeping bags and tents. Hope they have super warm hats, boots and gloves....

3My poor boys!!!! Empty Re: My poor boys!!!! Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:56 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

What a great idea. Not a very nice night for it thou. You will have to tell us what they had to say about their experience. Will be interesting if they do get it or are just to cold!!! Laughing 

4My poor boys!!!! Empty Re: My poor boys!!!! Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:17 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

There normally are no sleeping bags or tents. They dig their trench and each child brings 2 wool blankets. They did get away with having tarps over there trenches this year.

5My poor boys!!!! Empty Re: My poor boys!!!! Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:18 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well they spent the night, it actually warmed up overnight but was still pretty cold. The soldiers from Edmonton that came brought a tent where the kids could go to eat and warm up in. The senior highs took an extra long hike with one soldier and had a taste of bush life! Lol. The juniors had a little shorter hike. The boys said a prayer for all the soldiers put their today for safety. It really hits home to the kids after doing this. My oldest has been doing it for 3 years. It is cold, but they understand a bit more what it can be like for our soldiers.

The boys talked a lot about the hikes and the cold, but at the same time seen the beauty of nature as they were able to see a spectacular show of northern lights! They also made comments that they are so lucky to have had our veterans fight for our freedoms and the current soldiers still fighting. Both boys thanked the two soldiers that came for the night for coming and for serving our country! Made me proud to be their mom when they did this!!!

6My poor boys!!!! Empty Re: My poor boys!!!! Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:21 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

They got away this year with not having to dig their trenches as deep. They were in pure clay and even the soldiers had troubles digging!! Lol. I have pics that I will post later on of there trenches. When I arrived this morning everyone was in the tent eating breakfast of ration packs that the soldiers brought to share with the kids.

7My poor boys!!!! Empty Re: My poor boys!!!! Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:21 am

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

wow what a great experiance for them
I too would like to hear what they have to
say about the whole thing.
Its important for the future generations to
be reminded about war and the great price
paid by the soilders.

8My poor boys!!!! Empty Re: My poor boys!!!! Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What an amazing experience for them. I am glad there are those in this world that would take on a project like that. Kind of gives you a glimmer of hope for the human race. Your boys will not soon forget that experience.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum