Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are all barnevelders poor egg layers

+3
Schipperkesue
KlassyChic
vic's chicks
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Empty Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:46 pm

vic's chicks

We love barnevelders and we love the look and feel of their eggs, but we get so few. I have four birds and I am lucky to get one egg every couple of days and often only a couple of eggs a week Are all barney's poor egg layers?. Am I missing something they need? Is it just this particular strain? These four are hatchery birds from texas. I have one pullet from performance that is about 24 weeks old not laying yet. It will be interesting to see what she is like.

2Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Empty Re: Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:01 pm

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

I read that most are poor layers Sad I think they were bred many years for their show qualities instead of laying traits. So sad.

3Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Empty Re: Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mine were from Performance and they laid well. Are your other birds older?

Hmm, mine also hid their eggs. Any chance this is happening?

4Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Empty Re: Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:56 pm

vic's chicks

My birds are only just over a year old. I have been wondering about the hiding. we have a lot of bush around us. I think I will keep them in the yard for most of the day for about a week and see what happens. Its good to know that someone had some that laid well. I have a rooster from performance so maybe I will have better luck with the offspring.

5Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Empty Re: Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hopefully Dan will chime in with his two cents. He is the Barnie king.

Perhaps he is too busy annihilating coyotes.

6Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Empty Re: Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:05 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

In the past I have found that mine are good layers but this past winter they stopped laying altogether and then this spring they started up again and were doing well but this past month they are laying very poorly. I don't know why. They are my only breed that completely stopped laying over the winter last winter. I think that they are affected by the weather and climate changes. I do love them and love the looks of them and especially their temperament. I am going to be selling some of my breeders to make room for my younger ones that I hatched this spring for myself.

7Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Empty Re: Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:54 am

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

I am happy to hear this news too! They are a very nice bird and I was interested in having a few until I read they were poor layers and decided to hold off.
Darn google scratch

Not sure I can convince hubby we need more chickens but perhaps if I were to sneak them in at night he will not notice Suspect

8Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Empty Re: Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:57 am

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My birds were a different line then Dan's and they were terrible layers. I had 5 hens and rarely got more then 2 egg/day regardless of sunlight hours or time of year. They have moved on, can't afford to feed poor layers! They are beautiful though! (And I did keep ONE girl in the laying flock, though I'm not sure I've ever seen an egg I could attribute to her).

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

9Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Empty Re: Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:13 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

They are a great dual purpose breed and were the # 1 layers in Holland just before the commercial hybrids took over. Hence, they SHOULD be good layers and if the ones you have a horrible layers, then they are simply just culls in my opinion.
Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

10Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Empty Re: Are all barnevelders poor egg layers Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:16 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

The ones I had in Australia laid like troopers and were very good winter layers (down there it was not a REAL winter though).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum