Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grit and gizzards (graphic photo warning!)

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

So, I have long wondered about how much grit and what size my chickens consume and how much is in their gizzard so when I butchered 8 young cockerels and 3 older ones I cut open their gizzard sacs to have a look.  I feed whole oats and wheat so am always concerned about grit.
Unfortunately, my pics are  kind of blurry so maybe not the best pics to see anything, but I was happy to discover that 7/8 of them had lots of small gravel (which I collect from ant hills) as well as some bigger, granite particles (# 2 size) which I bought from UFA recently.
I also bought #3 grit at the same time and have been putting it out for my ducks and mature roosters.  I don't think I will ever buy the #2 again as it is not much smaller than the #3 and cost $6 more per bag.  I think it was $13 for the #3 and $19 for the #2.
One of the cockerels did not have any visible gravel at all in his gizzard and lots of long grass/hay pieces.  Unfortuately I didn't keep track of which gizzard belonged to whom as I cut them open when I was all done....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
kinda icky looking I know but you hopefully you can see lots of small rocks in there and some mostly ground up whole wheat. It didn't smell bad, just looks nasty in pics!
I kind of liked the way the bottom one shows the shape of the gizzard pouch even though it is way blurry I know!

This is the one that didn't have any grit in it at all, no idea why not? They all had equal access to grit.
Heres a comparison pic of my 3 sizes of grit, the reddish mix color is from local ant hills, gleaned from the gravel grid road, then #3(bigger) on the left and #2 on the right.
enjoy!  (don't lose your lunch! pale)

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Did one of them snag your wedding band? Good thing you did this investigation now! Razz 

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

ha ha...!  I was using my pocket knife for scale and realized it might not work because knives are differentesizes...figured a ring was more standardized Razz

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's really interesting. I've always wondered about grit consumption. I must try the #3 - I'd always thought it would be too coarse.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good to see But I had to Laugh as I was reading the Title in the dark and Thought it said Grits and Gizzards so was expecting a Recipe as it sounded Good Guess I should read better before Looking LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum