Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

double yolkers

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1double yolkers Empty double yolkers Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have two pullets who lay double yolkers and I wonder what the story is with this.  They are about 7 months old I think.  One is a Light Sussex (Blanche) and the other is a Barred Rock (Fattybum).  They are a fairly regular occurrance although Fattybum has stopped laying recently, maybe because the winter is here.  Blanche on the other hand has just gotten her game on and eats like a ravenous teenager, laying these huuuuuuuuge eggs which cause me to cross my legs thinking about her laying those monsters after the teeny tiny wee things she had been laying before.  We've had three successive biggun's now and I wonder if this is her master plan.  

I believe they would not be good candidates to collect eggs from for hatching because success rates might not be fab.  I was not going to breed from them anyway.  Why are they laying like this, any ideas?  Is it genetic or dietary or something else?  I noticed them eating feathers so thought I needed to up the protein (plus a bit of extra fat) in their diet but Fattybum had been laying double yolkers before then.

2double yolkers Empty Re: double yolkers Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My young pullets often start with a bang, laying huge double yolker eggs!

3double yolkers Empty Re: double yolkers Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:38 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

My Delaware seem to always give me Double Yolkers and at least a couple a month after that

4double yolkers Empty Re: double yolkers Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

thanks for the feedback, maybe they will stop after some time and settle in to a good/medium sized single yolk egg. Something exciting about seeing two yolks in there, don't know why!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum