Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New coop update photos

+15
bigrock
CynthiaM
Schipperkesue
heda gobbler
Prairie Chick
call ducks
Ruffledfeathers
Hidden River
k.r.l
mirycreek
Magdelan
SerJay
islandgal99
authenticfarm
coopslave
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1New coop update photos Empty New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:36 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pretty happy with it. It will be nice to just have it done and waiting for me when I get there!!!
I have gone with a dirt floor and I will have to edge them pens and outside because it is on skids and up about 4 inches.
I am a little concerned about the pop doors. They look a little small for my hulking roosters. I did tell him I had large birds. Maybe they are bigger than they appear. The boys may just figure out how to maneuver through them too.
I am actually very excited about this. It will be the nicest set up I have had for a long while.
You can't see the vents, but they are very cool ones. I am sure I will tweek a few things as time goes on.
Roof and doors go on today and it is shipped tomorrow ready for everyone on Saturday.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:37 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Man, sorry the photos are so BIG! Shocked 

3New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:43 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looks good!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:54 am

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What a DREAM to arrive and have the coop all done and ready. You are a lucky lucky lady! Those are some pretty smanshy looking chicken digs. Seems like you are going to a pretty amazing place. I have coop envy!!!

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

5New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:58 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

islandgal99 wrote:What a DREAM to arrive and have the coop all done and ready. You are a lucky lucky lady!  Those are some pretty smanshy looking chicken digs. Seems like you are going to a pretty amazing place.  I have coop envy!!!
Funny Islandgal, it is usually me with coop envy! Don't worry, it wasn't cheap but I couldn't think of any other way. The guys at UFA have been very good to me.

6New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:26 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very nice!

7New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

"coop envy" seems a very appropriate expression. would love to see the vents too. And, if you ever move again (sorry, nasty idea and perish the thought . . . but .. .) you could take the coop with you!

8New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:25 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

so 4 seperate sections each with their own run and outside pop door?  can you access them all with one man door?  very handy looking!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

9New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:59 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Looking forward to seeing the finished coop! I have coop envy already!

10New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

WOW! That is awesome Coopslave, and so quickly built for you when you get there. Your birds are going to be so happy.
Now to download this photo and show it to Hubby.... Laughing 

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

11New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Awesome . I'm envious

12New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:34 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Soo coopslave. You tempt us with empty pictures.... When we gonna see the coop full of birds? Razz

Congrats on the coop looks awesome! Just curious what are the dimensions of it?

13New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:so 4 seperate sections each with their own run and outside pop door?  can you access them all with one man door?  very handy looking!
Yep, 4 separate sections with their own pop door and outside runs. There are access doors on each side of the shed and then doors all the way thru each pen. So 2 outside doors and 3 inside ones. I thought it would be easier cleaning if I could enter from either end.
Each section is 6x8 and I can make the outside runs as big as I want. Going to use the dog kennel panels. We have a ton of them because we are spending a fortune on the dogs too.....sigh. Overall size will be 8x24 and I think it may be 8 feet high. I would have liked it a bit lower to hold in the heat but the builder wanted to make sure I could stand upright in all of it.

Magdelan, bite your tongue, talking about moving again already is just mean! Wink 

Don't worry call ducks, all the chooks are coming with me in my sisters horse trailer with the dogs. It will be full the first night!

I am looking forward to having the 4 separate sections. You all know I will want and need more by next year, but it feels extravagant now.

14New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looks good

15New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

whoops. sorry Coopslave, just slipped out . . .  after I pushed the send button I realized my bad .

16New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:06 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fabulous Coopy! So glad you found a good solution. Hope it brings you joy!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

17New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice! I truly hope you are looking to filling that coop as all we Albertans are looking forward to having you in our province!

When is the big day when all will be moved and you will be here?

18New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:31 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

And I wouldn't worry too much about the pop door size - I have big tom turkeys who fit out chicken pop doors no problem.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

19New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

heda gobbler wrote:And I wouldn't worry too much about the pop door size - I have big tom turkeys who fit out chicken pop doors no problem.  
Hah! It is the same with dog doors. The smaller the better it seems!

20New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:54 pm

I sense an excitement and anticipation that I haven't seen in your posts regarding this move, so whether it be a new coop, a new house, a new pair of jeans or a new hairdo, I'm all for it!! I'm so happy to read your excitement about this.

Needless to say the coop is awesome!

21New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:01 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glory days!! Look at that, ever had a coop that nice before Coopslave? Oh man, you are off to a most wonderful start. Your move reminds me of when we moved with all our chooks. But my birds came a week before I did. We had gone up many times with our stuff to our new home, trailer in tow, and one weekend we got Daughter's extra unused shed readied for my birds. but ya, know what it is like to have a whack of birds in tow. How generous of your Sister to allow the use of her horse trailer. Glory days. Enjoy your new life, your new coop and think of the possibilities with something like that. I am going to put a couple of pictures in another post to this thread to show you how small the pop door really can be, it might relieve your mind that big birds can fit through little holes. And did you listen to Heda? She said her turkeys go through chicken door holes, where there is a will there is a way!! Beautiful day wishes to you and us all, CynthiaM.

22New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:11 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ya, so I thought for surely that this little opening was small enough that the adult sized birds could not get in.  This little hole was the entrance for the little chicks to come in and out of the segregation they had to keep them separate from the adults on the other side, inside. Nope.  Look at that fluffy butt squeezing in there.

So, what I did was put a little board across so that she could not fit her body through in a million years.  Ya, I know, pretty poor set up, but it worked and sometimes it is not about things of beauty, it is efficiency.  I should measure for you, one day, my adults fit through amazingly small openings.  And I think I have a big breed of bird, smiling.

Those pop doors are just TOO BIG, so I reduced the size, it is permanently smaller, look, you can see how large the opening was originally, before I realized how little room birds actually need to get in and out.  Sometimes, you get two trying to fit through at the same time, but that ain’t happenin’, congestion, smiling.  Hope this may help you to be OK with small openings, and it cuts down on wind and cold coming in too...If you would like some measurements, say the word and that shall be yours.  have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

23New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks CynthiaM, those pictures ease my mind a bit.
We are off tomorrow and it looks like my poor birds are going to be crated for 24 hours. I don't like it much, but I am sure they will survive just fine. Rig up food and water and some apple slices.
I look forward to seeing the finished shed. Going to paint it to match the house.

24New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:21 am

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:Thanks CynthiaM, those pictures ease my mind a bit.
We are off tomorrow and it looks like my poor birds are going to be crated for 24 hours.  I don't like it much, but I am sure they will survive just fine.  Rig up food and water and some apple slices.
I look forward to seeing the finished shed.  Going to paint it to match the house.
I have had two trips from Calgary with birds that have ended up being 22-24 hour adventures with delays and detours. The birds do just fine, both times didn't loose a single one. Ventilation and water were the biggest things - I kept sticking my hand in the crates/boxes and if it was warm, I'd make more vents.

But you're a pro at moving, so you already know!!! It'll be good, they are going to love the new digs.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

25New coop update photos Empty Re: New coop update photos Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:35 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So exciting for you...can't believe the coop is going to be done....so soon..
We had to put up a 2X4 half way up our excess doors cause the pup was crawling through and eating eggs. That picture Cynthia of your bird squeezing through that tiny space made me laugh
Good luck on your move Coop

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum