Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wintering Roosters

+2
uno
ChickenTeam
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wintering Roosters Empty Wintering Roosters Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:24 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

Well, it is time to integrate the chicks into the main chicken population, but I am undecided about what to do with the two little roosters. My rooster tractor is at capacity with 3 occupants, who probably wouldn't be thrilled about 2 more, and I suspect would quickly return the population to three. Do I put those two in their own tractor to shiver their way through the winter, or would they be OK in the big pen at least until early spring? There are two roosters in the big pen, a black ameraucana who is definitely the boss (except of the speckled sussexes) and a silver ameraucana, who stays out of the way quite successfully. Would they be treated as newcomer chicks, or as future competition? I just want to get them through the winter, and have one less dish of frozen water to bang out, especially if it is going to be as cold as I have been hearing.

2Wintering Roosters Empty Re: Wintering Roosters Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:44 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

TO be honest, you won't know until you try.

Not too long ago I had 9 roosters all together. Had to start dispersing when the NOISE became too much to handle. Plus the poor hens looked like disaster survivors.

Roosters fight. Sometimes they work it out and boss guy, once he's established that he's boss, no longer feels the need to crush and mangle the other roosters. Then you can have the boss guy who just never gives up the fight and pounds on the underlings without mercy.

I would introduce the youngsters (do this at night under the cover of darkness). BUT, have a plan B. If you see that their life is unrelenting brutality, being beaten and chased away from food and water, be prepared to step in. If you want to keep these boys as future sire stock, then have a back-up plan. If you don't want to keep these boys around, maybe chop and toss now to save them a few months of brutality.

But in all honestly, some hen yard blends work and some don't. You never know. But go into it with failure in mind and a plan worked out.

3Wintering Roosters Empty Re: Wintering Roosters Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:23 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yup. You won't know until you try. Might be problems, might not. Some roosters just get along, at least until days are growing longer. Some fight - some right from the first moment, others wake up one morning and decide the time has come. Some just wear out the hens. Some hens are old and tired of young roosters and set them straight for at least a few more months.

This time of year is sort of mix and match. Most of us aren't breeding poultry now so anywhere that works - works.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4Wintering Roosters Empty Re: Wintering Roosters Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:31 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like to keep my roosters in a seperate house from my hens all winter. I do keep my bantam roos with my hens though. What has worked best for me here is already a boss then takeout a couple others for a few days...add the younger new ones ( always with buddies never alone) after couple days throw the ones you took out back in. Put in twice as many food and water stations and watch the situation. Some fighting may be ok as long as it doesnt last too long. You willl have to judge that.
I find I can only keep about 1/3 of the roos in the same space as I can keephens.
30 hens can live in a house where I can only keep 10 roos. They have more personal space issues!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

5Wintering Roosters Empty Re: Wintering Roosters Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:47 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I winter my boys together. I usually put the older fellow in with the younger cockerels before they are really mature. He sorts them out quickly and as long as they are not crowded they get along fine.
I like to give the hens a break over winter and have them in nice shape for breeding season in the spring. They seem to like the males a lot better after they have had a break from them.

6Wintering Roosters Empty Re: Wintering Roosters Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:18 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

All you can do is try! I just lost a really nice big splash orp roo because of another roo. They have been together all summer and no issues, then all of a sudden, my lav orp roo resides to kill him when I am not home, and succeeded. I get home and find my dead roo, and when I went to take him out, as soon as he wiggled from me picking him up my Lav went on the attack and started beating on the body. Needless to say mr lav is on the to be butchered list!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum