Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I need some advice on wintering Rabbits

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I need some advice on wintering Rabbits Empty I need some advice on wintering Rabbits Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:47 pm

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

Hey Everyone, I just have a question I have 2 different kinds of rabbits Flemish giants and lionheads. I have just discovered that some on the female bunnies I kept are now male. ( I am fairly new with this Smile ) So now I am just wondering if I can winter my male rabbits all together in a big cage or is it better to have them separate? Will they fight and try breed each other all the time? Any suggestions?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I kept a pair of brothers together from birth in a large cage. One of the gentle cretures emasculated the other. Shocked

Sue

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

They will either fight or turn gay, probably both. Also they can deprive another from eating, so some can lose weight dramatically. I suggest you split them up and if you don't have the space to do so, eat the remaining balance instead.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Piet, I hear even the little ones are delicious! Perfect for the smaller appetite.

Sue

abpride

I keep my breeding bucks in their own cages.I just cant aford to loose one because of bloodlines etc.I have lots of space and cages so its not a issue here.

I do also have a buck pen that any spares go into that are not as important to me.
They all run together but it is about 20 feet by 20 feet.

I have a doe pen started,to see how that goes.
It is three inside rooms and a smaller(12 feet by 15 foot) outside pen.
Huge space.I am going to see if I can get them to live together and hope that I can get them to raise babies etc together.
This is a wait and see thing on the does.I do not have a male with them.
At this point they all seem very happy.

I dont think it would be a good idea to lock two adult bucks in a small cage.Pretty sure you will have a wreck with them Sad

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

Thanks everyone,

Well I have my adult male in his own cage and the other 4 flemish were littermates, they are in the big cage so far they are getting along ok. And I have thought of eating them too, not sure if I could knock them on their head might have to get someone else to do that part. My parents said they used to eat rabbit alot, I don't think I ever have.

Is there a good time to eat them before they get too big? better to eat does than bucks or anything like that?

abpride

I like to have mine in the freezer before 12 weeks of age.
Doe,buck doesnt matter they all taste good Smile

8I need some advice on wintering Rabbits Empty wintering bunnies Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:10 pm

pluckylady

pluckylady

Hi, I have three flemish giants. One 5 month old buck and two 4 month old does. The does were separated from the buck until a few weeks ago. I put the does in with the buck and everyone seems to be getting along fine. I was told that they won't breed in the winter. Especially with our cold Canadian winters. I think keeping warm is their biggest concern. But introducing two bucks together might cause a problem. Especially if they're old enough to breed.

Good luck,
Pluckylady

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

pluckylady wrote:Hi, I have three flemish giants. One 5 month old buck and two 4 month old does. The does were separated from the buck until a few weeks ago. I put the does in with the buck and everyone seems to be getting along fine. I was told that they won't breed in the winter. Especially with our cold Canadian winters. I think keeping warm is their biggest concern. But introducing two bucks together might cause a problem. Especially if they're old enough to breed.

Good luck,
Pluckylady

You might get a litter of kits anyway, its not true that they won't breed in the winter. Rabbits breed like rabbits..
If you have does that fight, all you need to do is put in a buck to level their heads, but they will start breeding off course. Some people house several does in one pen with a castrated buck in able to keep more rabbits in one pen without a fight.

Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

That bit about the castrated rabbit is intresting Piet!

And yes, I have had winter litters before. Surprisingly the does and litter do quite well as long as it is not too cold for the first 10 days. Not an optimal situation though.

Sue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum