Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wintering ducks in northern alberta

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Wintering ducks in northern alberta Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Buff

Buff

I'm just wondering on the best way to winter ducks? I'm wondering if an insulated dog house with some wind break is enough and perhaps a dog heating pad.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wintered Muscovies in a three sided shelter with a roof. No ducky issues with lots of deep straw and cuddling ducks.

Buff

Buff

Thanks schipperkesue how many did you have housed together? How did you have there drinking water set up? I know they still need to wash there face and bill. I only have three one call and two Australian spotted just worried when it hits the -30 and lower.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Three Muscovies and six geese, but each species kept to themselves. I have heated water for them in the winter time. You will need to watch their widdle footies to make sure they don't freeze. If I were worried I would hang a heat lamb above them.

5Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Re: Wintering ducks in northern alberta Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Buff

Buff

Thank you for the advice Very Happy 

6Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Re: Wintering ducks in northern alberta Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

7Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Re: Wintering ducks in northern alberta Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:40 pm

Buff

Buff

Thank you Higgins! That's great info! So once winter hits your guys are inside till spring weather? Do you think if we built them a box a fairly large box with heat but they could still access outside when they wanted to would that be okay or should we keep them inside a building all winter?
Do you sell ducks as well?

8Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Re: Wintering ducks in northern alberta Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:16 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Buff

Buff

Thank you so much Tara that helps me a lot! I have some good ideas now on what I need to get them in for winter. You have a beautiful set up for your guys. I really want my three to be as comfy and cozy warm for winter as they can be. Could I ask at what temp do you take there swimming water away for the season?

I was thinking of housing them with my hens but I'm scared they might pick on them. Although my one call before I got him was raised with chickens and for the longest time he thought he was a chicken. He wanted nothing to do with water until I got a pair of Aussie's for him to have company even then it took him a long time to warm up to them. It was funny and sad all at the same time it was like he kept saying "I'm a chicken I'm a chicken" don't follow me around.  Then one day he realized oh I'm a duck hehehe and I LOVE WATER. My mission now is to find him his own mate as I think he's feeling left out in that aspect. That's why I ask if you sell any of your ducks. Trying to play match maker for him hehehe. Maybe you could keep us in mind if you have a girly there for him in the future.

10Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Re: Wintering ducks in northern alberta Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:39 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

11Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Re: Wintering ducks in northern alberta Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

At minus 30C, there is no way a duck the size of our clenched fist is going to be able to keep itself warm, even with a heated water source.
If this was true, there would be no non migratory songbirds anywhere in Alberta, and even bantam ducks have the wonderful fat layer, double circulation and soft down that protect all ducks from our extreme cold temperatures. We have never kept many bantam ducks, but those that we do have have been kept in shelters as simple as a plywood a-frame...and we never close the door and there is no danger to the bantam ducks. They are almost always sitting out in the snow when I do chores.

All you need is a dry, wind protected shelter, daily water and some high energy feed and your ducks will do just fine. We give fresh water in rubber tubs once a day and knock out the ice the next morning and all animals on our farm are happy. No need to go through the expense of heating anything.

http://countrythyme.ca

12Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Re: Wintering ducks in northern alberta Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Buff

Buff

Thanks for all the info it's great! Love the idea of rubber bucket in the tire I'll give that a try right now they have a kiddie pool. It did have some ice on it this morning blah same with my horse troughs. Also will give the hay a try with them have lots of hay as we farm it. I agree I think they would be better in their own pen for winter. I will see if I can message you pics of them as I can't get them to upload on here Evil or Very Mad

13Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Re: Wintering ducks in northern alberta Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:16 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

14Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Re: Wintering ducks in northern alberta Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:50 am

Buff

Buff

More awesome info Tara! I'm trying to order that book righ now lol! Very Happy

15Wintering ducks in northern alberta  Empty Re: Wintering ducks in northern alberta Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:13 pm

niglefritz

We have found that if we use a heated bucket/rubber tub and put an old fridge rack over it (secured as to keep it on, & rack having wide enough spaces to get their heads through), that our ducks can access water and don't make a frozen mess.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum