Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canning question???

+2
Bowker Acres
Ruffledfeathers
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Canning question??? Empty Canning question??? Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Its my 1st time canning and so far I have managed to make 8 quarts of pickled beets. However I wasn't watching close enough at midnight last night and didn't get my last jar to seal. A piece of beet got in between the seal.

How can I fix this?

The 2nd question is I would like to can some carrots but I don't have a pressure cooker. Can I still do it with my old system?

2Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:59 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

With the beets you can remove the lid, wash off the rim of the jar and re-seal it.  I would put the cold jar in a cold canner (so you don't bust the jar) and start your time from when the water boils.  You can always just eat it too!

You can not safely can carrots in a water bath canner.

I have a great recipe for pickled carrots though....if you like them.

3Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:28 pm

Bowker, is it true you could waterbath the carrots to be stored in the fridge or just skip the water bath stage and make fridge pickle carrots?

4Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:30 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sweetened wrote:Bowker, is it true you could waterbath the carrots to be stored in the fridge or just skip the water bath stage and make fridge pickle carrots?
If the carrots are pickled all they need is a quick water bath to seal them. My mom and other older ladies I know just pack hot carrots (blanched) into hot jars with hot brine and throw on a hot lid. They always seal. I feel better with a quick water bath dip for 10 minutes. I know lots of people who do not process pickles.

5Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:37 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Carmen can you post your chicken canning recipe as I got the pressure canner now so am gonna start also any others that you might have

6Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:46 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

http://www.simplycanning.com/

http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipes/3.php

I refer to these two websites and the Bernardin cook books for all my canning and preserving questions. My advice to you is that before you jump into canning meat, start with something a little easier like vegies. I pressure canned a 50/50 blend of tomatoes and celery for making soup. Start with something that doesn't take too long. Getting the temperature just right for canning is a bit of an art and it takes practice. I am by no means an expert. If you get good at the easier things, it will give you more confidence to try something more difficult. If I were closer I would come over and help. It is always more fun to cook with a friend.

7Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:17 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Question do pickled carrots turn smushy or do they stay crisp and crunchy? I have never personally had canned/pickled carrots so this is all new to me.

I was out voted by the family on doing pickled carrots Sad 

8Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:19 am

AWH! PICKLED CARROTS ARE THE BEST EVER.

A good vlasic pickle crunch on a carrot is absolutely divine.

9Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:21 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

did Spaghetti sauce yesterday and also apple Butter Today I am doing Green Tomato Salsa .
Tomorrow  I am doing  green tomato chilli for pork dishes  and when the 3oo pounds of green tomatoes turn red or orange I will can more so thats my day until chicken canning time and going to can some Salmon and some white fish sometime this week or next

10Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:30 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow!! Joe, when are you coming to my place to do some cooking for winter????

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

11Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:20 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

How long is pressure canned chicken safe?

12Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:13 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

auntieevil wrote:How long is pressure canned chicken safe?
Technically, if there is no bacteria or oxygen that can enter, it can be safe indeffinately, however, it is NOT recommended to used home canned products past a year.

13Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:01 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks. Perhaps the local wildlife will enjoy it...

14Canning question??? Empty Re: Canning question??? Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:44 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Used our pressure canner for the first time yesterday.....it's going to take a little practice. If I'am suddenly absent from the forum, I died from botulism.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum