Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Found some old canning jars (pics)

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Found some old canning jars (pics) Empty Found some old canning jars (pics) Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:37 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

All have original lids/sealers. This pink lightening jar is beautiful. I cannot find any info on pink canning jars but lots on lightning jars. If anyone can tell me anything about this beauty I would love to know. I know it is Canadian, but cannot find much else.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This one is from 1923-1933     2 quarts with original 1 piece metal sealer

and this one is from 1910-1923     1 quart   with original 1 piece metal sealer

Last edited by cbrookkelly on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Found some old canning jars (pics) Empty Re: Found some old canning jars (pics) Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:46 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

cool

3Found some old canning jars (pics) Empty Re: Found some old canning jars (pics) Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:48 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

God...coopslave..all i can see is that butt crack!!

but really..nice jars...very nice jars//

4Found some old canning jars (pics) Empty Re: Found some old canning jars (pics) Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:49 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

bigrock wrote:God...coopslave..all i can see is that butt crack!!

but really..nice jars...very nice jars//
Does my pumpkin look big in this? Laughing 

Sorry Cbrook, I do think the jars are fascinating.

5Found some old canning jars (pics) Empty Re: Found some old canning jars (pics) Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Would love to find some of those Shocked ! Would look great on display showing how it was done way back when .....................lucky you Sad

6Found some old canning jars (pics) Empty Re: Found some old canning jars (pics) Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Pretty! We, and my mom collect power pole insulators.

7Found some old canning jars (pics) Empty Re: Found some old canning jars (pics) Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:18 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ball produced the blue jars from the 1890's to 1937. Currently there are pint jars available in the original blue colour.

8Found some old canning jars (pics) Empty Re: Found some old canning jars (pics) Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Is the pink jar possibly just a "sun purple" glass item in its very early stages of turning purple? Possibly this jar was stored so well that it didn't get exposed to UV light much at all over its lifetime. It starts looking pinkish before the real hue (caused by Manganese in the early days of the glass-making process, I believe?) starts to take hold.

9Found some old canning jars (pics) Empty Re: Found some old canning jars (pics) Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:13 pm

P.S. Does this mean you made it home? Or are you bored in a hotel room at YVR waiting for the fog to blow away??

10Found some old canning jars (pics) Empty Re: Found some old canning jars (pics) Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:31 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yes Farmchiq...finally made it home after yet another cancelled flight from VCR to Cranbrook due to heavy fog. Decided to fly to Calgary and stay the night and Hubs picked me up there. We drove home during that snowstorm Alberta was getting. Roads were treacherous until we got into the mountains.

I am finding out more about the "pink" jar. It is actually called "Sun-Colored Amethyst"  and was made prior to world war 1 but the seams in the jar date it as after 1915. (WW1 dates 1914 - 1918). It is in unusually good shape almost like it was never used for canning at all.

'These "Sun-Colored Amethyst" jars, which were only made between 1900 and 1920, are now some of the most prized among Mason jar collectors. '

"•Seams also help determine the age of your jar: Seams that go all the way up the jar indicate it was machine made, probably after 1915.
•Purple jars (the color is the result of sun exposure to the manganese dioxide in the glass) were made prior to World War I because during the war manganese dioxide, which was scarce, was replaced by selenium. "

How the jar is shaped can make a difference in the value. Square jars, for example, were made by many manufacturers as early as the 1890s. Although they took up less space in the pantry they were never as popular as the regular canning jars and so are a little rare making them a little higher in value.

All very interesting Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum