Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

For new people to the Poultry Fancy

+11
uno
smokyriver
fuzzylittlefriend
heda gobbler
authenticfarm
toybarons
Piet
CynthiaM
Schipperkesue
SucellusFarms
coopslave
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty For new people to the Poultry Fancy Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:17 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I thought I might start this for people starting out in the Fancy. I think ‘Poultry Fancy’ is an old, stuffy term, but I like it. I think this is not as useful for the people that want them for pets, or just for eggs and meat. It is more directed to people that want to try to be a bit more serious and breed and maybe improve what they have whether for show or performance.

I haven’t used the word Newbie as I find that a bit condescending so I will try not to use it here.

I will start by saying I am a Chicken Snob. I don’t mean to be, but I will stand up and admit it. I do not write this to be offensive or belittle anyone. I think there is room in the poultry world for people of all kinds, that is what I like about it.

So, if you are new and want to get serious there are a few things I think you should know. Some breeders are not nice. Some are just grumpy old people that are tired of new people hounding them for birds they have worked years to develop and some are just jerks. On the other hand, some are lovely people that want to help and grow new people in the Fancy. You are going to meet lots of both when you start out. If you stick it out long enough, some of the first ones mentioned will warm to you and take you under their wing and some won’t.

Research the breed or breeds you are interested in, but try not to sound like you know it all when you talk to experienced breeders. You will need to know enough about them that you understand what you are being told, but open minded enough to sort through the info you get.

Understand that there are breeds and then varieties within the breeds. Variety usually means the colour or feather pattern of the bird. Breed = Orpington, Variety = Jubilee, so the bird would be a Jubilee Orpington. The more you use the correct terminology the more serious you will be taken.

Let’s talk about terminology a bit.

Males are called cockerels when they are young and roosters when they are mature. They are not roos, those live in Australia and are a pest for the ranchers down there.

Females are pullets when they are young and hens when they are mature.
I have a habit of calling them girls and boys, but it isn’t usually as respected as using the right terms for them.

The feathers around a cockerel or rooster’s neck are called a hackle or hackle feathers and the feathers just before the tail are called sickle feathers. These are what are used often to distinguish cockerels from pullets when younger.

Legs are usually called shanks. ‘That bird has yellow shanks’, or ‘that bird has feathered shanks’ are some things you might hear.

If you are going to be serious about breeding a certain breed or variety it is also a good idea to think about wrapping your head around some genetics, even if it only the stuff that applies to the birds you have decided to work with. It will help you ask the right questions and even give you a better idea how to get out of a breeding problem you have. And you will have them; it is a fact of life in the Poultry Fancy!

This is just a few things that have come to mind. Hopefully other breeders will add some things to help as well. I would really like to keep this civilised and helpful. I hope it hasn’t come across to pretentious I truly am trying to be helpful.
I think if anyone has questions please ask as well. I am hoping to start a conversation for new people that may make their transition into the Fancy easier.

Oops, is that my Chicken Snob showing? Embarassed 

2For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:14 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

OH, thank god. I already knew this much. Very Happy 

So far, so good, Coop. I hope others will add their knowledge for the benefit of those of us who haven't been breeding for as long. I've run into at least one of those old, grumpy ones so far. I've also run into some of the very nice ones.

If only I could move beyond basic punnet square, high-school genetics. I seem to have a brain block in that regard. I have grasped BB, Bb and bb, though. Shocked Now if I could just get that last bit of red out of my blues...

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

3For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:27 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will add:

The SOP is the standard of perfection. It is a large grey book that holds a wealth of chicken knowledge. Not just pictures of the perfect example of the breeds as set forth by the APA, American Poultry Association, there are descriptions, disqualifications and a great section on general chicken anatomy that is sometimes overlooked among all those pretty pictures. This section describes healthy conformation in any bird and is great info even if you do not want to breed to the standard.

4For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:35 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave, chicken snob, whatever, don't think so. I think this is wonderful what you have written and is well, just good. Yes, correct terminology is a good thing to have a handle on, and this goes with so much in life. I loved to read the post, and am glad too to say, that I know all this stuff.

One thing now though about terminology, many people refer to a rooster as a cockbird or a cock. Which do you prefer to use, cockbird, cock or rooster? Wonder which really is more correct. Personally I don't like the word cockbird or cock, it conjures up things that are just not good to say, as people may get the wrong impression. But I believe that cockbird is the proper term for rooster. Just sayin'....have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

5For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:58 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Coopslave the feathers you refer to as sickles are saddle feathers and sickles are main and lesser sickle the nice long feathers covering the main tail feathers. Pullet and cockerels under one year over a year is hen and rooster.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

6For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:10 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for adding to this!  I think we can have a really good thread if we get our heads together.

Piet wrote:Coopslave the feathers you refer to as sickles are saddle feathers and sickles are main and lesser sickle the nice long feathers covering the main tail feathers. Pullet and cockerels under one year over a year is hen and rooster.
Thanks Piet, this is the stuff I want.  Thanks for clearing that up and being more specific.

Sue is correct there are great things in the SOP about confirmation and bone structure and combs etc that is often overlooked and has to do with more than pretty feathers.

CynthiaM wrote:
One thing now though about terminology, many people refer to a rooster as a cockbird or a cock.  Which do you prefer to use, cockbird, cock or rooster?  Wonder which really is more correct.  Personally I don't like the word cockbird or cock, it conjures up things that are just not good to say, as people may get the wrong impression. But I believe that cockbird is the proper term for rooster.  Just sayin'....have an awesome day, CynthiaM.
CynthiaM, this is where the Canadians will have to pipe up.  In Australia they were called cockerels or roosters, the odd old timer would call them cockbirds.  I would like to know what most call them here.  I have to say I am like you and not comfortable calling the males cocks.

I will add more as I think of it as well.

7For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I often refer to my young Houdan cockerel as "my sweet Baboo". I gather this would be frowned upon by the old guard at a poultry show?

8For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:I often refer to my young Houdan cockerel as "my sweet Baboo".  I gather this would be frowned upon by the old guard at a poultry show?
I love you  A[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oh and to stay on topic...In reguards to breeds like the Polish, Silkie and Houdan, the cluster of feathers on the top of the head is called a crest. This is why they are refered to as the "crested" breeds. It is not a "pom" or "poof."

My personal preference for male bird is roo. I have no issue refering to them as a cock, but like you all, too many people immediately think something else.

9For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:37 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always forget that it's called a "crest" and end up referring to it as "crazy hair" or "poof." I'm getting old and forgetful like that.

I also say/type roo - it's just shorter. I never know when I may need that extra syllable somewhere else. Wink

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

10For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The English call a rooster a cock quite seriously and will look at you blankly if you call a male chicken a rooster. Americans prefer rooster and will giggle if you say cock.

Now someone can talk about combs please.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

11For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:27 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

my kids refer to all our polish as poof, poofs or poof head.....but they are young:lol: 

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

12For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:28 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

poofy...i could go on but should stop

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

13For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:42 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find the combs are interesting to figure out and all the disqualifications for them!! I had never heard of side sprigs until I bought my mottled javas, now I am on the lookout for extra pieces of comb poking out the side of the main comb!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

14For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:16 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

For newcomers to poultry it should be noted that all comb splendidness or non-conformity is abruptly altered during the winter months. We call it Frostbite. That's when all the floppy, sticky-outy bits freeze off and it never looks the same again.

15For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fuzzy has very tame birds.....they are well handled by 2 adorable little people!  It is not uncommon to pop in for a visit and see poultry being carried around the farm.  Sometimes, if you are a very well behaved bird, you may get to spend a little time in front of the TV watching cartoons. They make me laugh every time!

16For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Polish have "V" combs. "V" combs can also have sprigs. However, if you are showing polish, you want little to no-comb at all showing on either the male or female.

Polish also come in two distinct types: Non-bearded and Bearded.
Non-Bearded are supposed to have waddles.
Bearded should have no waddles showing at all through the beard.

In North America, Houdans also have a "V" comb. They also have beards. Unlike Bearded Polish though, Houdans do have very small waddles which show through their beards. Preferable you want their waddlesto to be tiny. If you have a houdan with big daggly waddles, then it's very likely your houdan is throughing back genes. Most Houdan stock in North America have been crossed with Polish in attempts to produce large Polish like crests which are a no-no. Unlike Polish, Houdans are supposed to have upright spikey crests that idealy fall back, away from the face.

17For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:23 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Um.... isn't the term wattles?

18For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

19For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:30 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Um.... isn't the term wattles?
Picky, picky, picky.....but correct.

I have to say I often pronounce it waddle, but I think that is the way I walk more than what dangles beneath the chin of the purdy chooks. Wattles is the correct term.

20For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:36 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, isn't this all just DUCKY! Nyuk, Nyuk!

Usually I don't correct others. It is hard to do politely. However, I do know TB and I know she wouldn't be offended. And after all, this thread is all about CORRECT terminology.

21For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:09 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This is...um...great!
I would like to add-being a new chicken fancier person...if i type something that is incorrect; correct me. I will never be offended and that will be an easier way to learn. There is a lot of new terminology and various breed standards which in themselves have made my head swim as i think(read know) my terminology is lacking. Shanks....good term... I am trying-really i am

22For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:52 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

How about breed names/spellings?

Marans - ALWAYS with the "s" on the end, regardless of the number of birds.
Ameraucana - I often screw this one up, putting the "u" in the wrong spot. But it's not spelled Americana or Ameracana.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

23For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:03 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:How about breed names/spellings?

Marans - ALWAYS with the "s" on the end, regardless of the number of birds.
Ameraucana  - I often screw this one up, putting the "u" in the wrong spot. But it's not spelled Americana or Ameracana.
Good thoughts Authentic.

Orpington - I often see an "h" in this breed name.
Chantecler - I often see this as Chanteclair

24For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:38 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Well, isn't this all just DUCKY!  Nyuk, Nyuk!

Usually I don't correct others.  It is hard to do politely.  However, I do know TB and I know she wouldn't be offended.  And after all, this thread is all about CORRECT terminology.

You got me! The proper term is wattles. My bad.

As Sue knows, I like rooster wattles. I'm part of a group that well...we like to cuddle our pet chickens and some of us call our handsome roo's wattles, waddles. Kind of like calling the crest, pom-pom [which I admit to doing when I talk to my handsome roos.]

25For new people to the Poultry Fancy Empty Re: For new people to the Poultry Fancy Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

TB, your love of large, fleshy pendulous wattles is almost....creepy. I imagine you there, The Bratly on your lap, cupping and massaging his wattles.

Shivvvveerrrrrr.....Shocked 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum