Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is your procedure with new birds?

+3
Schipperkesue
coopslave
Beep
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What is your procedure with new birds? Empty What is your procedure with new birds? Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Beep

Beep

Hi! I just got this gorgeous juvenille ameraucana cockerel. Looks really healthy; no signs of mites or lice or anything. I generally keep new birds quarentined for a while and keep and eye on them, plus intro them to the main flock veerrrryy slowly through a fence. I watered this guy with a little molasses (he had been travelling for a few hours), + my standard ACV and garlic. Plus I dusted him with DE. He's jumped the fence a few times already and is mixing (sort of) with my main flock and no-one seems to care (except me!). My slightly older boys are nice guys, for the most part, and they have a lot of room, so they are not picking on him. I'm putting him by himself at night though.

What do YOU do with new birds? How long to your quarentine them?

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I do quarantine them. I have to say, sometimes the length depends on if I know the person I got them from or not. Usually 3 weeks is what I do and then if I can I introduce free range before closed quarters. Just what seems to work for me.

3What is your procedure with new birds? Empty Re: What is your procedure with new birds? Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:33 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Three weeks to a month for me, depending on convenience.

4What is your procedure with new birds? Empty Re: What is your procedure with new birds? Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:44 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

5What is your procedure with new birds? Empty Re: What is your procedure with new birds? Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 am

I dont have the space to quarantine, however for next year I plan on having a quarantine coop for birds I don't know or buy from strangers. I'll Ivomec them on arrival and once they get their second ivomec treatment, they'll be moved in with general pop and be organic from then on.

Really, though, the quarantine is simply to restrict my other birds from inorganic wormer, because I don't change shoes, boots and uniform to go from quarantined birds to general population, and they'll pick up whatever I have on my feet from whatever shows/auctions/farms I go to anyway.

6What is your procedure with new birds? Empty Re: What is your procedure with new birds? Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:17 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I also do 3 weeks to a month
Sweetend Do like I do I have some small pens to keep them in for the month small chicken Tractors not fancy but they work and I do them last and I dont have to walk in the pen I just lift a lid or open a smaller door Beings they are done last I just go in and clean up then

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I gave away some cockerels recently, and the lady mentioned she does a three month quarantine.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:I gave away some cockerels recently, and the lady mentioned she does a three month quarantine.
Shocked  I am waaay to impatient for that!!!!

I think it is a good thing to remember sometimes we have 'things' on our own place that our home birds have adapted to that may impact the new birds. Having them separate allows them the space and time to deal with any 'things' we may have lurking at home without the stress for pecking order and other social complications of the fowl world.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, I thought three months was a little long - 6 to 8 weeks seems about right to me. Maybe next year I'll build a quarantine coop, for this year, it'll have to be chicken tractors!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

10What is your procedure with new birds? Empty Re: What is your procedure with new birds? Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok, here is a quick way to the correct answer here. Which chicken ailment has the longest incubation period? Add a week to the incubation period, and voila! Quarantine!

11What is your procedure with new birds? Empty Re: What is your procedure with new birds? Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:51 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

12What is your procedure with new birds? Empty Re: What is your procedure with new birds? Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ha ha, Ratty, I knew you would look, you crazy researcher, you! Ok, if we knock Liver Disease, Cholera, Sudden Death and TB of the list, a month or so should be fairly reasonable. Certainly a little longer wouldn't hurt!

13What is your procedure with new birds? Empty Re: What is your procedure with new birds? Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Beep

Beep

tongue A month sounds good to me, but I still put a little extra in their water and food, and a few DE dustings as well. So far so good with any new intro's this year; unless I have losses this winter, I do not anticipate bringing any new birds on my property other than the ones we hatch ourselves Smile

14What is your procedure with new birds? Empty Re: What is your procedure with new birds? Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I try for 3-4 weeks in an isolated building but sometimes have to compromise slightly depending on space available and time of year.

I agree, I think it is as much for resting and recovering and getting used to me and the various sights and sounds of my place as for health. IE they tend to panic and fly away less if they've had some time to adjust in a secure location.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum