Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How are your Birds looking right now?

+3
CynthiaM
Hidden River
Fowler
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How are your Birds looking right now? Empty How are your Birds looking right now? Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:08 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Right now my Bronze Toms are all sleek and shiny, the very epitome of turkeyness.

The hen, the other hand, is in mid-molt. She looks like someone has used her for a pinata.

Most of the chickens are in various stages of moulting. I've just never had a bird look as raggedy as that turkey hen. scratch

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler our bronze hen looks the same, through a grinder I thought. A week ago she was completely bald with just little quills poking out all over. We got a cold snap a couple days ago and my gosh how those quills have turned into feathers over night...
I was thinking I needed to knitter her a jacket.
Most of my birds are youngsters so looking very sleek and clean, but a few older hens I do have left over are very bald and sad looking, hopefully this colder weather kick starts their feather growth. Poor things.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Most of my birds look good, they already had moulted. But there is four older buff orpington gals that look like they would be freezing to death, along with only one buckeye and one barred rock!! Go figure. Why would they moult in such a stupid time to moult, when its cold!! Yes, they look really sad right now, the new feathers are coming in, but boy, wish they would hurry up. Have a great day, CynthiaM.

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Most of my birds are finishing molting now, and looking not to bad.

I think a Molty Bird Photo Contest would be great! Who has the Ugliest, moltiest bird?! Could be pretty funny at the birds expense. Laughing

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

5How are your Birds looking right now? Empty molting Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:06 pm

jocelyn

Most of mine look like porcupines, grin. Some have feathers coming out the tips of the sheaths, but a lot are just prickles and bare skin, except for the necks which are about a week ahead of the rest of them. Poor dears. Many of the heavier ones can't even make it up to their roosts, no wing feathers to speak of. Oh, well, a week makes a big difference......

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

LOL ours looked just like Jocelyn's last week and there are still a couple bedraggled looking ones out there. Wow some moulted really heavy this year and yes they really did look like porcupines! Wish they'd hurry up because 45 hens and only 1 banty egg collected today! Gonna be a skimpy breakfast this weekend....

7How are your Birds looking right now? Empty porcupines Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:12 am

jocelyn

Yah, breakfast will NOT have any scrambled eggs this weekend here either. Maybe eggs and balogna or something else that doesn't use too many. Poor dears. At least the two hens with chicks haven't moulted, have NO idea how that's gonna work if they moult too much later. Time to get the yarn out and make tiny hen sweaters, I guess. Smile

Giddyup

Giddyup

My ducks look great...but the chickens omg....a couple of the girls must be freezing!! One in particular I don't think I've ever seen something so ragged looking. Looking forward to seeing them in their new coats though!

edit: did I mention I had to buy eggs? BUY EGGS! Ack! Haven't seen one in two weeks or more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum