Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Care and feeding of your deep litter

+8
Cathyjk
ipf
vic's chicks
coopslave
heda gobbler
CynthiaM
Beep
Schipperkesue
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Care and feeding of your deep litter - Page 2 Empty Re: Care and feeding of your deep litter Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We use hay for our top layer of bedding all the time, just because we have it on hand. It works fine, and the chickens love it. However, it does indeed pack together pretty good, which makes it a little harder to remove later.

27Care and feeding of your deep litter - Page 2 Empty Re: Care and feeding of your deep litter Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:33 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

How deep is deep litter?  We have a small second coop that is only 8x10 feet.  I have put 3 bags of horse bedding pellets a bale of peatmoss and 2 good sized wheel barrows of shavings in there.  Planning to top it off with a pile of straw.  With out the straw the bedding is almost a foot deep.  Is that deep enough or should I add more?  The floor is dirt.

28Care and feeding of your deep litter - Page 2 Empty Re: Care and feeding of your deep litter Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I started with about a foot and a half of fresh chips, peat and straw. It composted and packed down to less than half a foot within a year. I think the key into keep adding as it packs down.

29Care and feeding of your deep litter - Page 2 Empty Re: Care and feeding of your deep litter Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:28 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My coop is really DRY. So far, I only have shavings and the dirt floor in there.

With horse stalls, I would just sprinkle water to keep the dust down - I am assuming I can do the same here?

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

30Care and feeding of your deep litter - Page 2 Empty Re: Care and feeding of your deep litter Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Authentic, you could also use a little vinegar if the coop has an odor of ammonia. When I had my rabbis inside I had manure pits under them. I would pour straight vinegar into the pits to neutralize the urine.

31Care and feeding of your deep litter - Page 2 Empty Re: Care and feeding of your deep litter Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:52 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nope, no odour yet. Not enough chickens in there I guess! Wink my ventilation is the shiz.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

32Care and feeding of your deep litter - Page 2 Empty Re: Care and feeding of your deep litter Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Our silly birds (well the blue/black/splash ones) are afraid of the new deep straw!  They were all huddled together outside in a corner....SCARY straw! The Buffs had all gone in, had a good scratch around in the straw and went to bed for the night.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum