Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What do u feed your Peafowl

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What do u feed your Peafowl Empty What do u feed your Peafowl Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Felix

Just started with peafowl this year and wondering what people feed them over winter as in main diet and treats

2What do u feed your Peafowl Empty feeding peafowls Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:37 pm

jocelyn

Felix, I had them 30+ years, but got out of them last year. I fed them hog grower pellets free choice and supplimented with assorted things like sunflower seeds, meat scraps, leafy hay, and just before the eggs come, dry cat food soaked in water. Other folks may have other suggestions too. Mine lived to be old, over 20 years each, and hatched good chicks each spring.

Jocelyn

3What do u feed your Peafowl Empty Re: What do u feed your Peafowl Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did you use medication free, no copper hog pellets?

What about Turkey grower pellets? Is that too low protein?

4What do u feed your Peafowl Empty feeding peafowls Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:51 pm

jocelyn

Yes, medication free, but not copper free as all grains here are too low in copper. Not copper at a growth promotant level, just enough to prevent heart troubles. Turkey feed would probably be OK too, but check the tags for animal source protein, as peafowl need some. If there isn't any, that's where the meat scrap and cat food come in. Free range peafowls eat a LOT of grass, so leafy hay helps with that if they can't get out to eat grazing.

5What do u feed your Peafowl Empty Re: What do u feed your Peafowl Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:44 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Many years raising peafowl Turkey grower, Corn, and dog and cat food, All the left overs from the house, bread and buns, mine are free range so they eat lots of bugs and things as well, some of mine are well over 20 years.

http://www.popscoops.com

6What do u feed your Peafowl Empty Re: What do u feed your Peafowl Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Felix

Thanx guys
what about grains? what's good and are there any to avoid.

7What do u feed your Peafowl Empty Re: What do u feed your Peafowl Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good to know.
I will set out kitty food then. He gets turkey grower, and he has run of the farm, but that is all I ahve been giving him.
Want him healthy and fat for winter.

8What do u feed your Peafowl Empty Re: What do u feed your Peafowl Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:06 am

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Felix wrote:Thanx guys
what about grains? what's good and are there any to avoid.

They like many types of grains and peas, the list is endless, a good balanced diet, I will aslo ad some vitamines in the water ( mostly winter months )

9What do u feed your Peafowl Empty feeding peafowls Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:39 am

jocelyn

Yes, and if you don't have vitamins to add to the water, that is where the leafy hay comes in. Green leafy material has lots of vitamins. Smile

10What do u feed your Peafowl Empty Re: What do u feed your Peafowl Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:51 am

turkeylurkey

There's a semi-feral flock of peafowl here. The neighbours buy hen scratch for them and have a large bowl on their deck. They also feed them bread. The peafowl also help themselves to the layer pellets in my barn. And they love things like hostas, broccoli, cabbage, etc. especially if you are trying to grow a garden. Also, forget about planting grass seed or rejuvenating your pasture. They'll pick at the seeds until they are all gone.

http://www.guppy.ca

11What do u feed your Peafowl Empty Re: What do u feed your Peafowl Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:46 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes greens, I grate Carrots, Beet leaves, corn, apples and the peels, Bok Choy, Grapes they love grapes and Kayle

12What do u feed your Peafowl Empty feeding peafowls Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:44 am

jocelyn

They are nice birds, aren't they? I miss mine, but have a new barn they didn't like and wouldn't go into. Sigh. Momma and the 4 or 5 chicks around the lawn all summer sure was fun.

Jocelyn

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum