Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

factory farming CBC story

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1factory farming CBC story Empty factory farming CBC story Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:41 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did any of you catch the program today on the radio about whether or not factory/industrial farming can be ethical or humane?

It was the same old, same old, from my opinion anyway. I find these topics that leave out the issue of how well we slaughter animals as utterly pointless conversations. A good life and a good death MUST be the whole package. A good life and a bad death is a FAIL, and a bad life and bad death is a FAIL. Yet whoever puts together these news stories seems no more informed or clued in than the average Joe Braindead consumer. And yes, I have contacted the CBC with exactly this complaint and a few years back they did do a follow up story on the changes to slaughter thanks to the CFIA and what that would mean to the animals. But still...this is a conversation that is only half baked if the issue of slaughterhouse practices isn't mentioned as pertinent.

The guy from PolyFace Farms was interviewed. He speaks well. Joe Salatin? But having watched a video of him slicing chicken necks I was largely put off. This is a result on my own opinion of what is a humane death and what is not and I do not think birds upside down gasping and gurgling as they bleed to death is humane. Therefore Salatin's crusade has lost some of its credentials as far as I'm concerned.

My point...none of these CBC stories gets to the heart of the matter with enough hard hitting information. This isn't journalism. This is sound bite entertainment, like a radio drama, the real story is in there, but so buried no one can come to any conclusions, because the information presented is pretty inconclusive.

2factory farming CBC story Empty Re: factory farming CBC story Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:52 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I never listen to the radio much anymore so obviously I didn't hear it. However, I have heard other recent arguements as the treatment of factory farm animals is the hot topic of the day. Personally, I feel that it is simply better for man to see animals as a commodity, boil it down to $$$, and you can sell your soul easily into believing that you are doing things right. Slitting an animal's throat and allowing it to bleed to death, shoving an electrode down its throat and stunning it, gasing, however you do it can be called humane, just as long as it is another's throat under the blade and not your own.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum