Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Small farming is alive and well

+2
uno
ChicoryFarm
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Small farming is alive and well Empty Small farming is alive and well Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Last Friday I answered an ad for some Muscovy ducks, and I drove out to the seller's farm to pick them up after work. I was thrilled to step out of my car and into the midst of a working farm with seemingly every imaginable critter a farmer could hope to have!

I saw cows (Belted Galloways included - my favourites), black pigs, goats, chickens, a donkey, lots of ducks and a few good LG dogs. I saw sheep and cats and was told of turkeys in existance although I didn't see them. The seller's daughter is a certified Organic market gardener. I met his son as well who appears to work at this family operation along with several others who may or may not have been family. They were all busy so I didn't chat with them, and only had a few minutes to chat with the seller and his son.

It was heartwarming to witness this farm in my area. I invited the seller to join us here as I'm sure he'd have lots of wisdom, info, and maybe animal sales to share with us, as well as the other way around. Hope he makes it on here. Either way, it was really neat to visit this farm, which to me seemed very far-removed from town and its ammenities, but they did not look like they would have lacked for much, to be sure.
Cheers,
FarmChiq

2Small farming is alive and well Empty Re: Small farming is alive and well Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:47 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

What a beautiful image Farmchiq and how inspiring! Nowadays everyone seems to be downsizing as they get older so they can have more 'freedom' but the description of that Farmer's lifestyle that you described is paradise for me and an image I hope my partner and I can continue to work towards as we get older.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It would be so great if they joined our forum.

3Small farming is alive and well Empty Re: Small farming is alive and well Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:18 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh baby do you know what that's worth, Oohh Heaven is a place on earth.

4Small farming is alive and well Empty Re: Small farming is alive and well Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:26 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Our farm doesn't have all the critters you described, but we do have quite a few in the list. We have a garden that supplies a lot of our fruit and vegetables, but it is not large enough to supply more than just this family. This is a 3 generation family farm with the youngest feeding dogs, chickens and cows. This is a great place to live and a great place to raise grandchildren.

5Small farming is alive and well Empty Re: Small farming is alive and well Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:33 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

uno wrote:Oh baby do you know what that's worth, Oohh Heaven is a place on earth.

Oh Crumb!!! I am going to be singing that stupid song all day.

The place does sound heavenly though!

6Small farming is alive and well Empty Re: Small farming is alive and well Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:03 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah lovely, now that is a little piece of a thing of beauty you have painted for our mind's eye. So, girl, where was it? This is not a secret, is it? I want to go there and see what you have seen. I think it is just past my place a few kilometres, right...did you honk as you drove by, smiling that big smile. This is a beautiful thing to hear, and I loved to listen to you. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

7Small farming is alive and well Empty Re: Small farming is alive and well Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:02 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What a great picture you have painted with words! More and more that is what I want and i don't think i am romanticising the idea, the novelty is not wearing off....the deeper i get the more i want. I am very happy to hear that some families are living this dream and seem happy doing so!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum