Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

butching results

+3
Farmer Bob
islandgal99
rowdyrooster
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1butching results Empty butching results Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:51 pm

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Friday was butcher day, yesterday we packaged it all up and this was

the totals:
                25 lbs  4 ozs    boneless,skinless breasts
                27 lbs  10 ozs   skinless legs
                 9 lbs  13 ozs    wings
                36 lbs  6 ozs     5 hole meat birds
                15 lbs  4 ozs     3 hole roosters
                24 lbs  10 ozs   caresses (soup stock)

Plus two that went straight to the BBQ at 4lbs-6ozs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

to make a total of a 148 lbs 8 ozs of chicken.

I have another 24 meaty to do in another month so I should stay nice and plump this winter.

Like to hear what everyone else is putting away for winter that they grew.

2butching results Empty Re: butching results Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:28 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Mine are babies yet, but since my hatches have been so skewed towards boys, and I have 37 Barnevelder boys to 10 girls, I will be eating a lot of chicken!!! Atleast 30 of those will are likely freezer bound. And that's just the barnevelders, there are more...I just don't yet know how many.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

3butching results Empty Re: butching results Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, the chicken raising didn't go quite as well as planned this year, so there are only going to be 3 Orpington roos for the freezer. We did 15 last year. Ultimately, I need about 35 or so to last us through the year. That is the goal. We grow all of our own Vegetables, and are now working on fruit. The goal is to be as self sufficient as possible!

4butching results Empty Re: butching results Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

What breeds of birds did you butcher Rowdy?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5butching results Empty Re: butching results Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:10 pm

Beep

Beep

How long do you all grow your birds? Depends on the breed, I suppose? I have some 6 month old buff/lav roosters that are feeling pretty solid to me right now! I think they are the first to go the way of the ax. Then the marans boys I'm not using for breeding. I think they take a bit longer though; they are still pretty light.

6butching results Empty Re: butching results Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:23 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beep wrote:How long do you all grow your birds?  Depends on the breed, I suppose?  I have some 6 month old buff/lav roosters that are feeling pretty solid to me right now!  I think they are the first to go the way of the ax.  Then the marans boys I'm not using for breeding.  I think they take a bit longer though; they are still pretty light.

I have my buff orpingtons and cochins processed at 6 months old (24 weeks) or so. Hmmm...marans, I heard that they mature quite a bit before this age of 6 months, but never grown them. I think Pops coops said they were meaty at about 20 weeks. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

7butching results Empty Re: butching results Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:13 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Cynthia, I kept my Orpington Cockerals and Pullets together last year until 4 months old...when the little Roos suddenly went berserk with hormones. That turned out to be the deciding factor on when to process them. Do you separate out your cockerals and pullets at a much earlier time, and does that make a difference in their behaviour?

8butching results Empty Re: butching results Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Beep

Beep

CynthiaM wrote:
Beep wrote:How long do you all grow your birds?  Depends on the breed, I suppose?  I have some 6 month old buff/lav roosters that are feeling pretty solid to me right now!  I think they are the first to go the way of the ax.  Then the marans boys I'm not using for breeding.  I think they take a bit longer though; they are still pretty light.

I have my buff orpingtons and cochins processed at 6 months old (24 weeks) or so.  Hmmm...marans, I heard that they mature quite a bit before this age of 6 months, but never grown them.  I think Pops coops said they were meaty at about 20 weeks.  Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

I think marans take longer, like 8-10 months at least for eating. They seem to hit teenager-hood early tho! LOL! In any case, they are definitely lighter than the orps. (The buff orp's we actually got from you, Cynthia M, my daughter is the 10 yr old 4H'er!)

9butching results Empty Re: butching results Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:14 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Farmer Bob wrote:Cynthia, I kept my Orpington Cockerals and Pullets together last year until 4 months old...when the little Roos suddenly went berserk with hormones.  That turned out to be the deciding factor on when to process them.  Do you separate out your cockerals and pullets at a much earlier time, and does that make a difference in their behaviour?
I put all my dominique cockerels seperate from the pullets and unsexed buckeyes early this year and the main thing I notice is how calm mu pullet and buckeyes pen is. No sparring and jumping.
Time will tell if it makes a diff for thr butcher weights.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum