Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The final results

+7
bcboy
Echo 1
Farmer Bob
IzzyD
CynthiaM
heda gobbler
Alyssa Patterson
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The final results Empty The final results Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Alyssa Patterson

Alyssa Patterson

We sent twenty-two cockerels and one rooster to freezer camp and these are some of the results, the average processed weight was four and a half pounds. So far we have 33 pounds of sausage, 21 quarts of broth, 2 whole birds for roasting and many packages of thighs, drums and breast which I do not have the weight on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.riverbendheritagepoultry.com

2The final results Empty Re: The final results Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:49 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow! Well done! Were these cornish crosses?

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3The final results Empty Re: The final results Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Alyssa Patterson

Alyssa Patterson

No, they were Orpingtons from our mid April hatch. Not as much meat as some but boy are they tasty.

4The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:37 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is a glorious sight! So much food for the larder, and you should be very pleased. I find both my buff orpingtons and cochins all dress out about 4 pounds, rarely below 4, but mostly about 4.2 to 4.5 and some 5 pounds, at 24 weeks of age (without necks, feet and innards). The processor in Pritchard used to leave the necks on, no clue why, but that would add a little weight to a dressed bird too. When I get my birds processed at Peggy's now (I am sure that is where you went), I ask for the feet and the necks. My Sister and her family love the feet and I love the necks for dog treats. A nice meat bird for surely. I had 14 processed about 2 weeks ago, and am so pleased as well. Enjoy those wonderful birds! Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

5The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:41 am

IzzyD

IzzyD

That's awsome!

6The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:03 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I'm very impressed! My goal is to raise all my own chicken for our family consumption with Orpingtons as well, but I'm not there yet!

7The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am delighted to say I get to enjoy this bounty! My hat is off to my much loved chicken crazy daughter for all her hard work hatching, raising and processing these birds. All the sausage was done with a hand crank meat grinder, not an easy task but she did get a little help from brother Michael and Dad. Today's project is chicken pepperoni and summer sausage. That will be the last of it for this year. YUMMY!

8The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:12 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Alyssa Patterson wrote:We sent twenty-two cockerels and one rooster to freezer camp and these are some of the results, the average processed weight was four and a half pounds. So far we have 33 pounds of sausage, 21 quarts of broth, 2 whole birds for roasting and many packages of thighs, drums and breast which I do not have the weight on.

Nice job!!! cheers
Sausage you say, how many years have you been making sausage?

Thanks again.
I have some cockerels in a tractor that I have to process.

Last edited by bcboy on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

9The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

bcboy it was all done at home with a hand crank meat grinder we did buy a "all in one" package with casings and spices.

10The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:51 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Alyssa Patterson wrote:

I did some whole chickens in vacuum bags like you did. I spatchcock them and had a rosemary spice mixture that I bought from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It turned out excellent. What kind of spices did you use in the vacuum bag to Marinade your chicken.
Thanks again.
I have been making beef jerky and buy Prague Powder off these guy for years now. Take a look you may see something that may work for you.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by bcboy on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

11The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Alyssa Patterson

Alyssa Patterson

Bcboy the original recipe is from America's test kitchen
5 pounds bone in skin on chicken
1-2 tbsp kosher salt
3tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Slash the skin 2 or 3 times don't cut the meat. Mix all ingredients into a dry rub. Coat chicken with rub gently lift skin to distribute some spice under it. Place chicken on wire rack in fridge for 6 to 12 hours.

Heat oven 425 F until thickest part of the smallest piece is 140F about 15-20min. Increase temp to 500F and continue roasting until chicken is browned and crisp 170F.

I suggest making a small batch first so you can tweek the recpie to your taste. The older birds we have found do best if you don't use a wire rack but let them cook in their own juices. Oh ya if freezing skip the fridge step, as they thaw they will marinate.

Hope you enjoy

12The final results Empty The Final Results Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:13 pm

farmerrick

Nice job. How did you do your stock? Did you pressure cook, or hot water bath the jars?

13The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:33 pm

Alyssa Patterson

Alyssa Patterson

farmerrick wrote:Nice job. How did you do your stock? Did you pressure cook, or hot water bath the jars?

As it is a meat based item we pressure canned the stock.

14The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Alyssa Patterson

Alyssa Patterson

The last item, pepperoni sticks and a chub of summer sausage. YAY!!

15The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Alyssa Patterson

Alyssa Patterson

Now we move on to Pumpkins.........

16The final results Empty Re: The final results Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:26 pm

IzzyD

IzzyD

Nice pumpkins!

17The final results Empty Re: The final results Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:24 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Holy smokes...what on earth are you going to do with all those pumpkins???

18The final results Empty Re: The final results Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:50 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very nice to see and hear what you do and how you do it. I think Alyssa is going to use the pumpkins for winter fodder for her chooks, smiling....I have a few and they absolutely love them. I put them in whole in the pens and then bang them with a sledge hammer to get the first break in them, then the chickens go to town. I think I am going to take one of my chickens and try that marinade on them, but I will slow cook mine instead. I have found if I don't slow cook the birds I find them a little on the rough side. But now wonder....have you processed your own orpingtons before and cooked them in such a hot oven, did the marinade make them tender...I know nothing of marinades and have never used them, maybe I should, smiling that big smile. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

19The final results Empty Re: The final results Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:52 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, and how did you and yours get all the meat off the bones to make sausage. I would love to try to make sausage. I have a hand turned meat grinder that we bought last year, but never used. Would love to take a bird and make some, smiling....tell that tale please, have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

20The final results Empty Re: The final results Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:24 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You will need to use a little of that broth to make pumpkin soup!

21The final results Empty Re: The final results Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:45 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

In regards to grinding up the meat for sausage...I prefer to use the food processor instead of the hand crank or even a small powered grinder. Of course it is not as peaceful and quiet as doing it by hand...but it is oh so fast! I haven't tried it on chicken, but I don't know why it would be any different.

22The final results Empty Re: The final results Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:11 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cynthia, you are right the meat can be tough when done in the oven. Our home raised birds are usually done in the slow cooker.  The recipe says to do it in the oven, for meaties or store bought chicken it's amazing but for our Orpingtons we have found the crock pot yields the best results. The spice rub she uses is very tasty!  In fact it is a family favorite.... She very diligently removed all the meat from the bones using a very sharp knife and much determination. As for the truck load of pumpkins, some will be fed fresh to the birds, some are being canned for the family (Alyssa makes amazing pumpkin pies) She also plans to freeze some for use in treat blocks for the birds all winter.  Yes a new freezer had to be brought in just for chicken feed.  I hope she will try some pumpkin soup. Her 2 dehydrators will be full also I am sure. She is also working on plans for a new brooder ( she has a very understanding Dad who is never too tired to help her) I so often say she was born 100 years too late. Alyssa would have loved growing up on my Grandmother's farm where everything on the table came from their garden or fields.

Last edited by Echo 1 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total

23The final results Empty Re: The final results Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:21 am

IzzyD

IzzyD

Haha, it was great meeting both of you at Featherfest, it's great to know there's still people out there with these interests Smile
I wish I could have captured her roosters crow somehow so I could use it on my phone for the alarm. Such a beautiful antique sounding crow.

24The final results Empty Re: The final results Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:25 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Izzy, it was lovely to meet you as well! As for the interest in all this business...she gets that from her grandma and great grandma. It must have skipped my generation. I am usually just along for the ride.

25The final results Empty Re: The final results Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:31 am

IzzyD

IzzyD

Well your an awesome mom being involved like you are.. It's all good wholesome stuff... Every part of it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum