Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

IPE Results

+3
fuzzylittlefriend
uno
rosewood
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1IPE Results Empty IPE Results Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:07 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I haven't heard what happened at the IPE this past week. Were any of our members showing this year?

2IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:45 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I know one who was riding around on a float, waving at the crowd as if she was in her right mind. Bet you didn't think we had any 'floaters' on here, but we do. Not naming names, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

3IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:10 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We were there with 7 birds. We got 4 1st places, two best variety and the little porcelain d'uccle pullet was reserve best breed put of ten adults so that was exciting. I learned a valuable lesson in bathing as my Mille fleur hens were greasy looking and it made their colour pattern look incorrect. They ended up 3 & 4 of 6 hens and heather said that was why ( they were 1st and second, best variety and the one was best of breed at chilliwack only 4 weeks ago). So lesson learned! Thank you to heather for taking time after judging to go threw my birds with me and offer such wonderful advice and bathing tips! We had a blast at ipe it was a fun week!
Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

4IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:23 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I judged at the IPE this year and it was a good fair show. Most of the Bantam entry were high quality birds and some in awesome feather for this time of year. There was quite a large fowl entry with the strongest class being the Australorps. Sadly a good potion of the large fowl entered were more birds of commercial type for their breeds, such as the Plymouth rocks, barred rocks, rhode island reds and others, so many were not near the size they should be and other problems, but this is how people learn and I accept that and try to guide them towards breeders who can help them get birds closer to the standard. So we all have to start somewhere and I love using this type of venue to guide people and help them get over the disappointment of not getting quite the birds they had hoped for when buying them.

The Australorp class was a tough one with a large entry from a couple of breeders, with both my Champion and Reserve Champion Large Fowl coming from that class.

In the waterfowl I actually had some very good birds in both ducks and Geese with large classes in both. I picked an awesome White Runner old drake for Champion Waterfowl and a Sebasapol young female for Reserve Champion.

As I mentioned before the bantam classes were very strong and I went with an outstanding White Cochin hen in perfect condition for Ch. Bantam and Show Champion. Reserve Champion Bantam could have gone a couple of ways but I chose a typey white Plymouth Rock cockerel in great condition and he went on to be Reserve Show Champion. Honorable mention must go to a lovely bantam White Leghorn hen who thought it would be a better idea to strut her stuff the next day(Leghorn females tend to do that to us judges). And to a nice little D'Anver pullet whose color could have been a bit better but the type was great. The little porcelin D'Uccle still needs months to see how she will turn out but she shows promise.

Anyway a good show and the club made a bit of money from it's raffle etc. to help with the expense of putting on the APA National and as a surprise to our club I have also donated all of my judging fee to the club to help with the expenses for the national. Thanks to everyone who entered and I think a good time was had by all, I know I had a blast.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

5IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:15 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Anne, nice that the family entered birds and you got some nice recognition and learned some stuff too. Anyone that takes their birds to a show, deserves a pat on the back. It is a great amount of work to get them there, prepare them and oneself, that is just cool. I do so wish that I could have been there, but other things took precident.

Heather, you are very busy these days with judging, good for you. What a lovely thing to do, and that you helped to bring money to the club by donating your judging fees, well, that goes as tops!! You too need a great pat on the back.

I am surely not going to miss the November event in Armstrong. Don't know that I will bring any birds, but certainly do want to go and look. I particularly like to look at the Jacobin pigeons, they are remarkable and love how they turn their back to you so you can't see their faces, their sooooo cute. Have a wonderful and awesome day, CynthiaM.

6IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heather, I didn`t realise that you were judging there too. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the Standard birds there.When I first walked in it looked like there were so many I kind of got excited. But many of them were as Heather said. Oh well. There were some lovely Australorps there though. I think they are strong in this area, I seem to see nice ones in the Okanagan, someone must be doing a good job with them here.
I didn`t go and look at the bantams because the little guys really do not interest me much, but now I wish that I had!
I always have a look at the ducks, but I know NOTHING about them except that the runners fascinate me. Some day, if I ever want a divorce, I will get some.
I am not sure how many other forum members were there. I am not good at meeting people and crowds make me a bit nervous but someday I would like to meet some of you. Very Happy
I spent most of my time in the cattle barns as usual! Rolling Eyes Everytime we go somewhere I tell hubby I am not going to look at cow bums and machinery the whole time but you know what happens..... just need to put my foot down I guess. Laughing
Maybe I need to set a time limit and every minute over the limit = 1 duck! Twisted Evil

7IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:31 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

well heather that white rock male is exactly the same parents as the little pullets i showed at chilliwack. shouldnt have sold that one to dudley, but i think theres more of the same type.

8IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:12 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Actually Cornel Dudley told me he bred that one himself, so you may have to ask him.

Heather

9IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:06 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

its from the pair i bought of him at the last winter show.
i called him this afternoon, and he said it was the bird i brought up for him?!?!

10IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:19 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Maybe it was, I just know what he told me.
Heather

11IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:34 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

it is still his breeding as he sold me the pair but he never had fertility with his roosters until after lawn show when he took mine back.
have you had any shows this summer that you showed not judged?

12IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:54 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cornel, I don't show my birds in the summer, generally they are not in the condition I desire and it adds stress to an already molting bird. Also we are way to busy here with trying to get our place set up still and visiting company, and with hubby working out of town a lot time is precious so can't spend my time bathing birds but I enjoy judging just as much as showing as I still get to visit everyone but don't have to commit the whole weekend. My show season starts when it cools down, You guys don't get as hot in your area as we do in the Okoganan and moving birds to a show in boxes and kennels is too risky.

Heather

13IPE Results Empty Re: IPE Results Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:03 am

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

ohh i see. makes sense!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum