Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New coop and unique insulation

+7
CynthiaM
ipf
islandgal99
coopslave
Schipperkesue
auntieevil
Cathyjk
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New coop and unique insulation Empty New coop and unique insulation Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have  friend over Nelson, BC way who has access to the syrofoam blocks the forestry folks use for trees (you know, little saplings or whatever they are called, come one per hole in the insulation).

Anyway, forestry cleans them and can't throw them out as they don't degrade. So available for free.

Here is what a block looks like from the top, they are 4 inches deep by 22x10 (I think)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So they all got cut and jammed into the new coop walls and ceiling for insulation. They will get covered with more plywood for the walls. The roof gets a layer of reflective insulation also to cover the foam (a piece is in the lower, left-hand corner of the picture).

Coop from the outside

Coop again

We are using an epoxy floor paint to make the floor waterproof and easy to clean -- it even comes with a 'grit' that makes the finished product, non-slip.

Last edited by Cathyjk on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

2New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:09 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Nice!

3New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

They would make great soundproofing material too!

4New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:32 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:They would make great soundproofing material too!

That is what I was thinking too Sue, as I looked at the pictures. Stealing my thoughts again! Laughing 

5New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:56 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Where can I get some of those...with my current neighbors and the constant complaints about my roo's, this might just help....even if it helps until I move, it's a big help!!!

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

6New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:17 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There's a forest nursery in Campbell River - I think that's closest to you on Gabriola. I'll try to dig out contact details in the morning.

The foam blocks are called styroblocks;  they grow seedlings for reforestation in them. They are reused to some extent, but eventually get just too beat up. They come in a fairly wide range of sizes.

Also, re flooring - "formply" (plywood used for making concrete forms, available at any lumberyard in 4x8 sheets) is absolutely the best! Already epoxy resin impregnated, so no need for treatment; waterproof and easily cleaned, and not expensive.

7New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:52 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

ipf wrote:Also, re flooring - "formply" (plywood used for making concrete forms, available at any lumberyard in 4x8 sheets) is absolutely the best! Already epoxy resin impregnated, so no need for treatment; waterproof and easily cleaned, and not expensive.

Very cool. Had not heard of that product! Nice!

8New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:46 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh wow, that's gonna be a very nice coop, looks almost big enough for a human to live in, smiling.  I think that an ingenious insulation thing.  I would think that some kind of wall would need to be on, like plywood of some sort, but I am sure you have already thought of that.  It would be AWESOME I think for keeping cold out.  Some very good things for thought.  Would love to hear the results when wintertime comes.  Might be a whole new interest in recycling!!  Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

9New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

It may be arduous, but if using them for heat insulation I would stuff something in the holes. Air is about the worst insulation there is.

10New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:08 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is really cool. Don't you just love new coops. I mad my little coop out of recycled bits and pieces. My insulation is old fencing panels. What color are you going to paint it?

11New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:21 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

And here it is with the walls up and the ventilation pipe in. There will be about a foot of shavings on the floor so the pipe bottom will just be above it.

Thank you for all the kind comments.

12New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:23 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:It may be arduous, but if using them for heat insulation I would stuff something in the holes.  Air is about the worst insulation there is.

Interesting. The gentleman who told us about the styrofoam used them to build his house. Of course it's heated, but he hasn't had any issues for the last few years and they live at Nelson, well near Nelson.

Will keep tabs on the temps over the winter to see how it does.

13New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:02 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cathyjk wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:It may be arduous, but if using them for heat insulation I would stuff something in the holes.  Air is about the worst insulation there is.

Interesting. The gentleman who told us about the styrofoam used them to build his house. Of course it's heated, but he hasn't had any issues for the last few years and they live at Nelson, well near Nelson.

Will keep tabs on the temps over the winter to see how it does.

You will increase the r value tremendously if you can plug the holes. A shot of the expanding foam in each end would do the trick.
You might find your ventilation is not enough with that system, I don't think it will move enough air. I can't remember the formula. A bathroom fan in the hole where the pipe goes through might be more effective.
Your coop looks great. I just built one and am starting another this weekend, but am doing pole buildings using scraps I have around. I would like something that looks as nice as yours. Good job.

14New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:30 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

bckev wrote:.
You might find your ventilation is not enough with that system, I don't think it will move enough air. I can't remember the formula. A bathroom fan in the hole where the pipe goes through might be more effective.

I agree with the bathroom fan idea. When you are thinking about ventilation there needs to be air coming in for the air going out. Nature will not tolerate a vacuum. A fan will pull air through your cracks and crevices, but you may want to leave a window cracked as well.

15New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
bckev wrote:.

I agree with the bathroom fan idea.  When you are thinking about ventilation there needs to be air coming in for the air going out.  Nature will not tolerate a vacuum.  A fan will pull air through your cracks and crevices, but you may want to leave a window cracked as well.

This idea came from a article where they used a stove pipe to ventilate the chicken coop. From the Feb. / Mar. 2012 edition of Backyard Poultry where Dianne Lansing of New York has a stove pipe in her coop. The theory behind this is that cool, moist, air is warmed as it rises and creates an updraft up the pipe to the outside. She states that her coop stays dry and odor free.

There are two doors to the coop and two windows also. I can create air movement. Also trying a foot of deep litter.. have used 4-5 inches and that didn't work.

16New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:31 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What are the inside measurements. The draft system is a good system for root etc. I am guessing it will depend on how many birds you have as well. The volume of air you have to move will dictate the size of the ventilation system you need. A simple test you can do to see how the air is moving is to have a smudge pot or a source of smoke the farthest away from the bottom of the pipe you can make it and see what the draw is like. If it pulls the smoke out then it should have no problems with the methane etc. produced by the chickens, if it doesn`t then it probably won`t work for your chickens either. Still a nice looking coop. I like the sun porch.

17New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cathyjk wrote:
This idea came from a article where they used a stove pipe to ventilate the chicken  coop. From the Feb. / Mar. 2012 edition of Backyard Poultry where Dianne Lansing of New York has a stove pipe in her coop. The theory behind this is that cool, moist, air is warmed as it rises and creates an updraft up the pipe to the outside. She states that her coop stays dry and odor free.

There are two doors to the coop and two windows also. I can create air movement. Also trying a foot of deep litter.. have used 4-5 inches and that didn't work.

I do a similar thing in one of my coops. The door has a huge double window. I open the bottom of the inside one and the top of the outside one. The air naturally sucks in from the bottom, rises and exits up top.

18New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:00 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I did a similar thing with my coldroom but 2 pipes one low like that and one high just cut iy shorter.will you cover it wiyh screen outside to preveny mice?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

19New coop and unique insulation Empty Re: New coop and unique insulation Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh nice! Love your coop and its covered run area. And the stove pipe idea is pretty nifty. I have something similar in our cold room like miry, but never thought of doing it in a coop...until now! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum