Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Strange chicken-y goings-on at my house this morning

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

What is this?
I'm pretty sure it was from a pullet egg from my own coop, but there's a chance it was from one of CynthiaM's birds too. One thing for sure, even if it was fertilized, it wasn't in any nest box long enough to grow into this. If it was my pullet egg, I just introduced a Bantam X rooster last Sunday, so I doubt he's even made his way around to all the skittish young pullets, and the fact remains that I gather eggs twice a day so there's no way it could have started developing. I also know CynthiaM gathers the same if not more than I and stores carefully, so I don't think it came from her box she had to loan me on the weekend.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The dogs had a special treat this morning. This was just more than I could face first thing in the morning as I went to scramble my breakfast. Maybe once I know what's up I'll be able to deal with it, after all I ate an almost tartar-like steak last night, so it's not like I'm squeamish about blood. Twisted Evil

Also strange and notable, last night I crocked one of my roosters so I could soup him today. I was de-boning the cooked carcass this morning and here's what he looks like:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

His skin, flesh and very bones have tons of black pigment! affraid I suspect the presence of Silkie in his genetic background. Which is weird, since I have never owned a Silkie. But there is an explanation. I am pretty sure this must be a cockeral from the black-skinned bird I hatched myself last year (2 years??)ago from eggs I got from a friend who bought "PB" Ameraucanas from a "breeder" who shall remain nameless because this is obviously evidence of an 'oops', which when the black-skinned hen was hatched , the friend mentioned that they had also had some black birds (blue/gray feathers, black shanks, beak and combs, eyes as black as coal). (SchipperkeSue, how was THAT for a run-on sentence? I challenge anyone to come up with better/worse than that! Razz ) Anyway, the explanation said friend received when said "Breeder" was quizzed about this was that said breeder had introduced Silkie blood into the PB Ameraucana (I might be wrong about this - it could be Auracana) to improve it. Question

Anyway, that was what part of my morning looked like. I enjoyed yummy scrambled eggs afterall, with no further evidence of trauma (either to egg or my sensibilities), and soup is on it's way. Yum!

Have a fabulous day.
FC

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Black bones and bloody eggs would cause anyone I know to revert to run- on sentences!

I will tell you though, a bloody egg makes for a really dark yellow meal of scrambled eggs! When we eat a chicken we are eating cooked chicken blood as well, so why not eat it in an egg? Razz

Schipperkesue wrote:Black bones and bloody eggs would cause anyone I know to revert to run- on sentences!

I will tell you though, a bloody egg makes for a really dark yellow meal of scrambled eggs! When we eat a chicken we are eating cooked chicken blood as well, so why not eat it in an egg? Razz

I totally agree Sue, and like I say, I'm not squeamish at all about blood...it was just sort of unexpected when I cracked that egg open. I regretted giving it to the dogs, sort of (they are my babies so nothing is too good for them) and next time will just whip it up like any other egg. I just wondered what caused it. Is it just the trauma of a new system developing eggs? It's not what a fertilized egg looks like, or a traumatized fertilized egg anyway, I'm sure. I do know this, but that's what ran through my mind this morning, and it all kind of put me off for some reason.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very Happy There has been two occasions in my life, that I can remember, where I had a yolk such as that bloody one you had. It sickened me to my soul Shocked and I threw that egg out. Who knows who laid the egg, could be anyone. Those bloody eggs happen. Thank the lucky stars not very often I have had to deal with them. I find it repulsive and could never eat an egg that had such blood in it.

As for that bird. I could never eat a bird that had black pigment to the flesh either. Please do not invite me for rooster soup. Serious. I don't know what it is, but just something about deviations away from norm that just do not do me well. Back on the coast, there is a massive amount of Asian folk, they LOVE black pigment flesh in the chicken. That is why they were always wanting the silkies from our neighbour. Until the law came into effect about selling home grown birds, think that was around 2004. Too bad. Anyways, enjoy that rooster soup, it will taste good, but I would have to close my eyes. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

If I remember right, I think the black flesh pigment is dominant so it could very well have carried through.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think that is just an extreme of a blood spot in an egg. I wouldn't be worried unless I was getting really often. I have to say I couldn't eat it either. Not squimish or afraid of blood, but I just couldn't eat an egg like that.

The black flesh is a bit yucky too, that carcass looks like you are growing chicken zombies! Don't leave that on the counter overnight, you may find it roaming the house!!!! Shocked

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

FarmChiq, I have seen this before. This is the work of a Voodoo priestess. You have obvioulsy made someone angry and they have put a curse on you. Send me $500 immediatley and I will lift the curse. Cash. No cheques.

That egg is a blood spot, a fairly large one, but in no way a developing egg. Just a glitch. I don't eat them, they give me the groozles.

As to the mysterious all black birds...so that's what they look like on the dinner plate. Another buddy, when encountering that on butcher day, thought there was something wrong and tossed all the birds. Thanks for sharing. I have never eaten one...as we all know from other rooster eating posts.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum