Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thinking about a motorhome.

+4
SerJay
uno
appway
coopslave
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Thinking about a motorhome. Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:59 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just putting it out there in case any of you have one for sale.
What we would really like, we can not afford....Rolling Eyes  Hubby would like a 30ft A class diesel pusher. So would I really but I think we would like to be under 30 feet and a little older to suit our budget. Our preference is still an A class but will look at any Cs out there too.
If you have one for sale or know anyone that does, can you please let me know?
Would love any help or feedback anyone has about types or pitfalls. This will be our first one.

2Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Re: Thinking about a motorhome. Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Motor homes are nice
I take it you are looking for something that will also pull the horse trailer LOL
Use to have a Motor home for the dog shows but one of the big problems is if you want to leave the grounds you have to unhook everything and unlevel it and drive it off and then find a place to park it when you are out and about
it never fails you need something at a store and there are not always big parking lots around. With a Camper you can unhook and drive the truck to town. we found that a motor home uses more fuel than a truck and camper thaqt might have changed with the newer ones
I agree with the Hubby a Diesel pusher is the way to go
and check on some of the sale sites they can be bought reasonable

3Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Re: Thinking about a motorhome. Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:22 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are you going to become a gypsy and run away from home? I also have this fantasy...

4Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Re: Thinking about a motorhome. Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:44 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Are you going to become a gypsy and run away from home? I also have this fantasy...

You got it, must fit 2 humans, 1 cat, 6 working dogs and 3 horses.......well we have a trailer for the horses like Appway says! That way if we want to quit we have somewhere to camp!! Laughing 

Appway, it is not often we need to go other places when we show. It is often only 1or 2 nights, but it is nice to be able to stay with the horses. I would like a camper, but Hubby, not being from here, hates them. So much cheaper and easier. He says they are to heavy and make the truck 'tippy'. So as hard as I try, no camper. I suppose the full bathroom in a motorhome will be nice. Good to take a shower after a dusty, hot day. I know some campers have that but they are BIG!
Gooseneck trailer is the other route we are considering, but the ones with decent living quarters are out of our reach.

If anyone knows good a good site to look, let me know. I have just done Kijiji and Auto Trader so far.

5Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Re: Thinking about a motorhome. Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You are right Coopslave a camper would be great. We just got a little 19ft one last year and we're having a great time going out on little trips. It's fantastic to pullover whenever and wherever you want to eat or go to the bathroom Embarassed  We travel with 3 young kids 5, 7 and 10yrs (who must stop and stretch legs and go potty everytime hour or so ahhhh!), 2 newf dogs and a tall shepard (so about 370lbs of furry furry dogs) its craziness LOL but we all had a fabulous time and when it poured rain we had a dry place to squish into and play games Very Happy  I like the tow behind because when we wanted to go somewhere in town we could just unhook the truck and we didn't have to park a big trailer in town or pull it down up a big gravel road when we went in search of waterfalls Smile

6Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Re: Thinking about a motorhome. Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:32 pm

pigglet

Coopslave, Look at some Living Quarters Horse trailers. They are coming down in price. I wanted one when we bought our holiday trailer, but my husband didn't want one, now he wishes I would have screamed and made him listen. Check out Northern Horse. Some are used, but still in great shape,looked at one last fall for under $26,000. It had even a extra space between horse area and living area for a 'porch' or storage.

7Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Re: Thinking about a motorhome. Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:38 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Coopslave
I have a nice 35ft coverted school bus with solar power
large bathroom, full kitchen, only single beds though.
Was great to travel in felt very safe and sound.
Only one problem it now has a hole the size of a watermelon
in the engine. We now use it for a guest house.
Anyone know of an industrial 306 for sale or a small block 350.

It is nice to be able to unhook and leave your home away from
home to go to town for supplies or what ever. Especially if this
is going to be a long stay you will need another form of transport,
unless one of you will drive another vehicle.

Good luck

8Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Re: Thinking about a motorhome. Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:39 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

What is it for? Just curious. For living in, like permanently, or just vacation. Next time you come over, you must come and see where my Hubby and I live. I know you have seen it from a distance. We have 2 little dogs, 1 huge, big old dog and us. We live in this unit. I think it is called a toy hauler. It has two slideouts. It is 33 feet long. One slideout for the kitchen nook, which can make into a queen size bed. It has a slide out that is our bedroom, can't walk around it, the king size mattress takes up the entire slide out. The toy hauler part is our storage place, with a wardrobe for our clothes, lots of cupboards Husband put in. So, do you want to live in it or for vacationing? There is actually lots of room for the five of us, smiling. Not really, but it is totally liveable, been here three years now. Some might go stir crazy, but it is beautiful. Warm in winter, cool in summer. Two doors so lots of room to escape if you need to run away. Well actually a third door, which is a ramp for toys to drive into, but it is covered up mostly by shelves, so hard to squeeze out if you needed to Shocked 

So, speak, what is it going to be used for? You need to think about stuff if you are taking up permanent residence in it Razz  . Absolutely, spend a little extra and get the slideouts, it makes the entire operation much bugger and liveable....so, what are you going to use it for? I know you are pissed off about your arrangement at your place and want to move on, but.....oh ya. Ours is a trailer I guess you would call it. We can hook it up to a truck and move it anywhere, anytime. When our kids get sick of us squatting on the back of their acreage, we will find someone else to take us in Cool  Very Happy  Razz Razz  . We can be as mobile as we want. Or just go to the bush.....we could live anywhere if we wanted. Good luck wishes. I want to know what you want a unit for....for sure, something a little older, gently used, you can find beautiful units out there. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM

9Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Re: Thinking about a motorhome. Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:30 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM, it would just be for travelling to cutting shows mainly. 1 or 2 night stays at a time. Would use it for the odd road trip if we had it I suppose.

All the feedback has been great. I know I would miss the luxury of unhooking and just driving to town (usually to a liquor store Embarassed ) if we wanted to. A gooseneck is what we have always had, but I like the idea of the space in a motorhome and the use it has at other times rather than just horsey things and we already have a bumper hitch horse trailer.

Our limited budget is the toughest thing. It means the motorhome will be old and could need lots of repairs in the future. Living quarters gooseneck has less things that can go wrong.

Maybe I need to keep pushing the camper thing for the truck until we save more money!! Laughing

10Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Re: Thinking about a motorhome. Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:47 am

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I agree about the gooseneck less to go wrong.
If you have problems with the gooseneck you
can go to town to get supplies to repair. If
your truck breaks down make sure you have lots
of beer in the gooseneck to keep you going
until help arrives.

11Thinking about a motorhome. Empty Re: Thinking about a motorhome. Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:25 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey coop,

The problem with a camper is that once you're parked, levelled and unpacked you lose your freedom to drive anywhere without having to pack-up, unlevel and do it all over again once you're back at your site. We love the freedom a travel trailer gives us. Once you're all set up, you detach the truck and can go and do anything.

The only other issue is the bigger the trailer the more it costs to pull around. Ours is a 19 footer but the body is really only 15'8" plus the length of the hitch and requires only a V6 to pull it.

Our land partner has one of those living quarters/horse trailers all in one and if I had horses and wanted a travel trailer for myself, I'd consider one of those.

Good luck! Trailer camping is so much fun!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum