Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have been thinking about Father's Day

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Have been thinking about Father's Day Empty Have been thinking about Father's Day Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:58 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

With Father's Day coming up this weekend, I have been getting a few feelings I thought I had sorted. June 26th will be the one year mark for Dad's passing. This will be my first Father's Day without a Father. Some days it feels easier and better and not in the forefront but I think that is when I am moving along with day to day and not really 'thinking' about anything.

So enough with my feelings and onto another thought. Why is it called Father's Day and not Dad's Day? Most people call their Dad, Dad.
Most people that is, but me growing up. I may have told this story before, but I remember my Dad always making me feel very special when we where out and about. Usually at horse shows, as we spent our summers doing that as I grew up. Where ever he was and I called he would always answer. I always wondered how he knew it was me and not some other kid screaming for their dad. Made me think he was such a good dad, he always knew when I wanted or needed him.
It was not until we were having a discussion, when I was an adult, that I found out the truth. I called him Father, even as a young child. I think it was because my Mother would always say, 'go ask your Father'. So while other kids were calling 'DAD, DAD' I was calling 'FATHER!'. That is how he always knew it was me. Kinda burst my bubble when I found out. Laughing So much for the special connection, it was just actually me being some weird kid calling him by a more formal word. Embarassed

Would love to hear some other Father (or Dad) stories, while I remember mine with fondness and happiness and try not to let the tears come.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is a nice story Coopslave.
I didnt really grow up with my dad, so don't have the fond stories you do, sounds like you and your dad had a special connection, even if he did know it was you calling "father". Smile

I know my girls call their dad "dad", but I do tell them to go ask their Father a lot! Funny how some kids just pick up the formal word and some don't.The man I grew up with as my dad, I would call him by his first name, but his kids would call him Father, and it always sounded so strange to me.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Although my father has been gone for years now I do understand that feeling of wanting to talk .listen to him and then reality sets in and you realize that it's been that long .I have a son now who looks up to me in so many ways and I am trying to leave some sort of imorint on him as my father did on me .My most favorite time was the times we spent together fishing along a small river that was within a half hours drive from there house .It was just him and me and we would talk about everything and anything .I truly miss that ,and sometimes I want to call him and just talk and then I remember ..............

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I must say I think my dad installed my poultry bug in me while I was little. He gets blamed for most of the loves in my life. Back to the poultry thing. Dad always knew at rodeos or gymkhanas when I was calling him as he always called me baby duck so I called him daddy duck. We did this forever. He thought I would outgrow it but as I got older it had become such a habit. To this day I still find myself calling him daddy duck if my children are not around. If they are it is papa duck. He instilled my love of horses and I am thinking it must be him who instilled the love of poultry

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum