Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

plastic waterers

+2
uno
Rasilon
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1plastic waterers Empty plastic waterers Tue May 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi Has anyone tried to hang the plastic waterers? You know the white with the red bottoms. My chicks keep filling the tray with shavings and if it was hung they couldn't do it. Thought I would ask.
Geri

Boy do I need guinaes. I pick up woodticks each time I cross the yard.

2plastic waterers Empty Re: plastic waterers Tue May 07, 2013 3:54 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have never hung one. But I have propped them up on platforms so the chicks had to hop up to drink. Otherwise, just as you say, they kick them full of shavings.

3plastic waterers Empty Re: plastic waterers Tue May 07, 2013 3:56 pm

katyb

New Here

Hi, hanging doesn't really work well as the chickens move it around and water spills. We always set the waterer on a piece of plywood for small birds and up to a cinder block for adult birds. That way the birds can not scratch anything into the trough. I used any waterers from quart size up to the five gallon size that were filled with the garden hose. Karin

4plastic waterers Empty Re: plastic waterers Tue May 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

katyb wrote:Hi, hanging doesn't really work well as the chickens move it around and water spills. We always set the waterer on a piece of plywood for small birds and up to a cinder block for adult birds. That way the birds can not scratch anything into the trough. I used any waterers from quart size up to the five gallon size that were filled with the garden hose. Karin

I have the big metal waterers on milk crates. Its the small ones for chicks that I have the problem with .

5plastic waterers Empty Re: plastic waterers Tue May 07, 2013 4:24 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Switch to a nipple watering system and you'll never have to pick shavings out of a waterer again.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6plastic waterers Empty Re: plastic waterers Tue May 07, 2013 5:01 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hang both the plastic and the metal ones. They don't get knocked around to much until they are almost empty. Make sure it is about back height for whatever age bird you have.
I also have propped in on wood and blocks. Either I find works well.

7plastic waterers Empty Re: plastic waterers Tue May 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:I hang both the plastic and the metal ones. They don't get knocked around to much until they are almost empty. Make sure it is about back height for whatever age bird you have.
I also have propped in on wood and blocks. Either I find works well.

what did you use to hang them?
Geri

8plastic waterers Empty Re: plastic waterers Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

My best friend, baling twine! I use twine with a snap or hook on the end. The plastic ones can be snapped right in, the metal ones I tie a little twine on the handle as well and clip to that. Make sure they are level when you hang them or all the water will run out.

9plastic waterers Empty Re: plastic waterers Wed May 08, 2013 10:48 am

Llee's Llamas

Llee's Llamas

We put the chick waterers on the shavings until they are a few days old and stronger. Then we cut a Styrofoam (so it doesn't rot or mold from spilt water)egg carton to fit the bottom of the waterer. Then we place the cut carton with the bottom pointing up and rest the waterer on top of that. Works well for us! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum