Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Roofing advice needed please :)

+5
uno
Schipperkesue
Fowler
coopslave
Blue Hill Farm
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:35 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm hoping someone with roofing experience or know how can offer me some suggestions on what might work to weatherproof the roof of my round bin coop. I'm looking for something cost effective (hah) that will last a few years or more. I plan to put metal on eventually, just not in the already blown budget this year. The roof is 2 layers of old, weathered plywood and amazingly doesn't leak - yet. I don't want to get to the yet part. DH wants to paint it with tar, but there must be a better option...any ideas? Thank you. Smile

Roofing advice needed please :)  Chickens2013095

2Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

What about the rolls of roofing you can buy?  I used it on my coop.  You can cut it to size, it isn't that expensive.  It is easy to put on, did it myself.  I am sure someone here will know the proper name for what I am talking about.

3Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Is this the stuff you mean, Coop?
http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-renovation-materials-roofing-Soprema-Roll-roofing-8m-x-1m-26-26-x-39-W0QQAdIdZ489144657

because hubby didn't think it'd work, but couldn't really say why. Rolling Eyes A roofer he is not. lol

4Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:52 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you're looking at something temporary, what about a tarp or maybe a large army surplus tent?

Roll the ends around strapping and tack it around the sides so the wind can't catch it.

5Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:53 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

First of all I love your use of the cross out option!

I was thinking that a tarp arrangement may work.  If you used two you could wrap one from each side, pull them tight, fasten down with boards and screws then trim the edges.

6Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:54 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler! Wink

7Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not sure if that is it Flicker.  Let me see if I have a picture with my coop roof in it.

8Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is a picture of it on.  3 years now and not a leak to be had.

Roofing advice needed please :)  100_2267_zpsf8f7610a

It just came in a roll.  Kinda like the asphalt shingles in texture but maybe a little thinner.  Was very easy to work with, just used some sealer in the seams and over the nails.

The tarp option would drive me crazy personally, but that is just me.... Rolling Eyes

9Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:36 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

HUb built a temporary structure over his pile of lumber to protect it from the rain and snow over winter. He used plywood for the roof. Temporary. It was there for 18 years! The plywood weathered, cupped, cracked, but never leaked.

Maybe you don't need to do anything. Maybe staying off the roof and leaving it alone until you do have the budget is a good idea. You know what they say, if it ain't broke...

10Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:45 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm with Uno on this one. But, tarring the seams would definitely help prevent leaks anytime soon if youre the least bit concerned. It will expand and contract with the wood and I'm betting you'll get more years out if it than you think.

11Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:10 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly wrote:I'm with Uno on this one. But, tarring the seams would definitely help prevent leaks anytime soon if youre the least bit concerned. It will expand and contract with the wood and I'm betting you'll get more years out if it than you think.

Well, my mom always said, if it ain't broke, dont fix it!

12Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:12 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There used to be an acrylic paint on product that would create a continuous seal. I don't know if it is still around or if it would work. There was a similar product that was rolled on the roofs of trailers.

13Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

14Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:55 pm

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

15Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Give it a oil stain ! Water proof , multi colors to shoose from ? some even look like paint ? or buy some barn paint ( it's a oil paint ) and paint it

16Roofing advice needed please :)  Empty Re: Roofing advice needed please :) Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:23 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rolled roofing, of course! That stuff looks handy, but not sure it'd be as easy to put on a round roof. How would that even work?

Heh, Sue. Too bad it wasn't that easy to strike out the bank book. I'm still in shock over how much everything costs these days. And used is hardly any better!  Sure, there are deals to be had if you look long and hard enough, but the trend seems to be asking new prices (or higher) for used materials. Kind of discouraging to say the least.

I actually already purchased a tarp with that intent in mind, then realized it was going to be more headache than anything due to the north east wind.

I like the idea of tarring the seams and giving the whole thing a good coat of white barn paint, which I already have. Oh, and hubby now thinks we should cover the roof with driveway sealer, Rolling Eyes but I'm not seeing any pros of a black roof besides it only costing $20 for a 5'er. I want happy chickens, not roasted alive ones.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have lots to consider and mull over....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum