Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advice needed on building a roost

+4
heda gobbler
bcboy
ChicoryFarm
Echo 1
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Advice needed on building a roost Empty Advice needed on building a roost Sun May 26, 2013 11:56 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I need to build a new roost for the birds and really don't know where to start. What should the dimensions of the boards be? 2x4 on the flat with rounded edges or a 2x4 on edge again with rounded edges? Is a dowel better than a 2x4? They are at the age that they want to roost and I need an improvement on what I have. HELP!!!! Question

2Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Sun May 26, 2013 12:23 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Long term I provide my birds with 2x4's on the flat approximately 20" from the floor and give 10" per bird in width - the latter to give them space from each other at night in the heat of the summer to help keep them cool.

By providing wide, flat roosts for large fowl they are able to rest comfortably, relaxing on the roost without having to grip it all night long (in the case of a dowel) AND they are able to completely cover their feet with their feathers to keep them warm in the winter.

That's my two bits. Smile

3Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Sun May 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks for the two bits...makes perfect sense!

4Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Sun May 26, 2013 2:14 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

how long is the roost going to be?
Have you thought about a poop hammock?
I have a poop hammock that take 60 seconds a day to clean and no ammonia smell in the coop. cheers

Advice needed on building a roost Roosting
Advice needed on building a roost Roost

Here is a video of my setup...

Last edited by bcboy on Sun May 26, 2013 2:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

5Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Sun May 26, 2013 2:15 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My pleasure. And an after thought on what I said...

Choose 2x4's that DO NOT have splits or cracks in them (in other words don't choose less expensive 'seconds'). Having had external parasites (red mites in particular), you are just providing a very convenient home for them to live as they come and go off your bird. Ensure roosts are sealed all around with no flaws (including knots)....if possible. You won't regret it.

We started out with very cool looking rustic fencing rails for roosts and they were full of cracks. We no longer use them and the 2x4 look is very conventional but extremely practical.

Last edited by ChicoryFarm on Sun May 26, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Sun May 26, 2013 2:19 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just about to put up roosts in my new sheds - this is very helpful!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

7Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Sun May 26, 2013 3:24 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great pics bcboy. What are the red birds? Buckeyes?

Don't want to hijack but am curious.

8Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Sun May 26, 2013 6:24 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have one roost that is lightly built, rests on the wall against some big nails. When it's time to shovel, I take the whole roost out of the way, lean it against a wall, shovel, replace. This would not be practical for a big roost, but is sure handy for cleaning up.

9Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Sun May 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We are looking into a poop hammock and think they are a great idea! Thanks to taking time to share your thoughts.

10Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Sun May 26, 2013 7:50 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Echo 1 wrote:We are looking into a poop hammock and think they are a great idea! Thanks to taking time to share your thoughts.
Here is a video I took this afternoon.

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

11Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Mon May 27, 2013 7:00 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

There are so many options to building roosts, but I really think the 2 X 4 with the wide side flat so chickens can have their feet in a normal position, which is flat, not curled, as in hanging onto round roost like dowel are best. Phew long sentence, but oh well, too lazy to correct. There are some awesome designs for roosts and you will see many, diversity is what this ol’ world is all about, and it is indeed an interesting place, smiling.

Two of my coops are in the big coop. Separated by poultry wire. The roosts were made in the fashion you see because I only had one area at that time for the birds. Since then, the area has three separations. My Husband did quite a bit of work to cut notches in the 2 X 6 to lay the 2 X 4s in, to help with strength. Chickens can be very heavy when there is a good many of them. The lowest rung on the roost is about 18 inches off the ground, with increments going up to the third level. All birds try to squeeze on the top rung, probably warmer. I like to have a low rung, then the ones that are higher and higher, this allows the birds to easily jump from one rung to the next. Large, heavy birds are heavy. I once upon a time, a long time ago, read that heavy birds should not have too far to jump down onto ground from the roost, as they can cause injury with the heavy weight, banging on the ground. They have an easy time to jump from level to level. Building is fun and you will probably design or redesign over and over. My poor Husband, I don’t think the designing will ever end. He builds, redesigns, tears down, rebuilds, redesigns, you get the picture. Personally, I think I have the perfect set up for me, so easy to take care of my critters and I love what I have. I am sure there will still be more designing, building, tearing down and redesigning and rebuilding. Thankin’ me lucky stars I have a Husband that loves to do that, and would move heaven and the very earth for me if he could, so I let him do these things, smiling that big smile. Enjoy the pictures, and you will have awesome roosts, taking a little information from your forum friends, have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Advice needed on building a roost ChickenBarn1_zps8173a2d3

The nest box you see in the picture is one of the old styles, before Husband built me new ones. We used these back on the coast, and boy did those Muscovy ducks ever love to brood their babies in those boxes, sometimes two would go in there. And that was also where a turkey mamma had squeezed in to raise her babies. Not with the ducks, but birds love to brood in quiet, dark places and this was perfect....

Advice needed on building a roost ChickenBarn2_zps0f9be1c0

Oh I thought I would add a picture of my nest boxes too. These are the extra ones. I hang them on the wall to keep them out of my hair. It is so handy to have so many extra nest boxes that I can put anywhere. I speak to having broody hens. I can place their little brooding boxes anywhere I would like and this sure does come in handy. Like now, with 5 brooding mammas and probably many more to come. When the mamma chick hatches out the eggs, and after a few days, I take that nest box away, hang it back up on the wall and she nests on the floor, in a separated area for about 10 days, to get the sea legs going on her babies. I have double nest boxes, but I like for the broodies the single ones.

The nest boxes are quite light, maybe 15 pounds each and have a handle on them, so easy to move around.

Advice needed on building a roost NestBoxes2-1_zpsf2804c75

12Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:16 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am going to get this one going again

we need assistance building our new roosts. I have read 10" per bird along the roost, and i have read 12" apart for the roosts. Is this standard? Do bigger birds like Orpingtons need more room?

13Advice needed on building a roost Empty Re: Advice needed on building a roost Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:54 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The 2X4 work well.

I also sometimes chop down a sapling. Big enough around that they don't have to really grip (as others have said). Maybe 3 inches diameter. Figure out how it will set and then shave down and flatten each end to nail into place.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum