Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

help incubation advice

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1help incubation advice Empty help incubation advice Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Rosie C

I just checked my incubator, and my temp was at 95 Sad Im worried now, I dont think it was for more then a few hrs, but are my chickens going to be ok?
Im amateur, this is the first hatch. I have read they will die, but I dont know how long they have to be cooled for before they die? sigh..... Just needed some personal though on this. Also my incubator has to humidity gage, how much water should it take, my instructions say evey 3 days add water...

2help incubation advice Empty Re: help incubation advice Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

A low temp for a short time is not a problem Momma hen gets off twice a day at least to eat/drink/poo and the eggs will cool, so as long as it has not been 95 for a long time I wouldnt worry.
Humidity I find it not a huge issues, if you are using a hovabator I would add water on the last 3 days and open the vents, should work ok.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3help incubation advice Empty Re: help incubation advice Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:50 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always leave the vent plugs out here.

4help incubation advice Empty Re: help incubation advice Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:56 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree, they should be fine. I think they are more resiliant than we think and cool is better than to warm. I have had the power go off for 8 hours before and then have a good hatch. It was just a bit later than I thought it would be.
Good luck, I hope all goes well.

5help incubation advice Empty Re: help incubation advice Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah, the first time worries of the incubation mamma (don't worry, we still all worry about our babies, smiling). I have read so many posts about people that have lost power for periods of time whilst incubating, the babies hatch anyways. Picture the inside temperature of an egg. That is pretty warm. Even with no heat in the incubator, that will take quite a time to cool down the entire guts of the egg. Yes, I have seen broody mammas, even in cool spring, get off the eggs for a long period of time. Those babies still hatch. You will see. I doubt if it will affect the hatch, perhaps by half a day, but don't sweat it, they will be just fine. There is such concern when first learning to incubate, and all the responses you will hear will point to things that will help you, we learn by others' experiences. It is a good thing to listen and ask questions, you are doing this. Good luck....you gonna have some beautiful little fuzzy butts, and you will watch them for hours. Also remember, and this is a hard one, a chick can take up to a day to get out of the egg, even after it has pipped that first hole....some get out within a very short time, others take longer, dependent on breed too. I remember my light brahmas were always the first to actually get out of the shell. I remember some that I thought would never get out, but do eventually. Some may pip and never emerge. Those are the weak ones that you should think about if you want weakness in the flock or not. I do not help chicks to break through the shell anymore. Too many have times have I done this, only to have a chick not do well and die anyways. I have a tough love with incubation of chicks. I do not help them out, if they are too weak to get out, they do not have a place in my life. Just me. Have fun, you gonna be a happy mamma soon. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

6help incubation advice Empty Re: help incubation advice Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Rosie C

Thank you everyone, my mind is at ease Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum