Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

duck anatomy expert please

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1duck anatomy expert please Empty duck anatomy expert please Mon May 27, 2013 10:19 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Have one little duckling, and I do mean little, and it has something large lodged in the crop. Noticed tonight when I was giving cuddles. Have noticed that for the last couple days this little duck seems 'off'. Tired. Lays down a lot, off by itself. Not feeling up to snuff.

No no, I am pretty sure whatever this is isn't shavings. They mostly don't mess with the shavings anymore. I suspect this is one of those spongey, mini-cones that fall out of trees. They're very small, but still too big for a duck to move through their system, although I think this is what is in there, judging by the feel.

What are the chances that I could reach down there and grab this object and pull it out? Without killing the duckling. Yes, I've done crop surgery on a chicken. But it was full grown chicken with a large body. This is a TEENY duckling and I'd need a magnifying glass to see what I'm doing!

I thought about attempting to manipulate the thing to break it up but they are very hard to break apart when they're NOT in a ducks' crop!

I think my window to do something for this duckling is small. It does not have a lot of body reserves to draw from if this object is blocking adequate food intake.

Had anyone tried reaching down a duck's throat with a tweezer? Any suggetions? I feel I have to try something!

2duck anatomy expert please Empty Re: duck anatomy expert please Mon May 27, 2013 10:28 pm

If you're sure that's what it is, and it's not going to pass it on it's own, and you can't float it out, then try with the tweezers. What does the little babe have to lose?

I would be ready to dispatch it though, if things don't go well and it declines. Be ready to put it to death. It will have suffered enough I think.

3duck anatomy expert please Empty Re: duck anatomy expert please Mon May 27, 2013 10:33 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did a little Googling about duck anatomy and if I read correctly, I may ( fingers crossed) be able to manipulate it up and out. It's not like it has a long way to go. Small bird. Small distance. The tweezers will be a last resort.

If ducky is fading, yup, dispatch. But not without giving it a fighting chance. This is awful!

4duck anatomy expert please Empty Re: duck anatomy expert please Mon May 27, 2013 10:49 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

That was easy.

The kid must have got word that he was about to be the subject of a gruesome medical procedure because when I got there, with all my instruments, the blockage was gone. I gave all ducks a shake down, just to be sure I had the right duck and could no longer find the trombone sized object-in-throat. Everyone felt fine. Whew, dodged a bullet!

Hey FarmChiq, I know you like ducks...these are so cute! But not for eating. Just for cuddling.

5duck anatomy expert please Empty Re: duck anatomy expert please Mon May 27, 2013 11:01 pm

Gah! They will be the death of us! Little booger!! Was it a test? I do love ducks and am glad your little ones are doing well. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum