Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chick born with neck bent backwards

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chick born with neck bent backwards Empty Chick born with neck bent backwards Sun May 19, 2013 8:27 pm

foal0069

Was wondering if there is anything I can do for this chick that was born earlier today. Looks like it was positioned wrong in the shell maybe because it was born this way. Is there anything I can do for it or should I let my husband take care of it. If there is a chance for it I would prefer not to put it down, but I also don't want it to suffer. Thanks for your opinions

2Chick born with neck bent backwards Empty Re: Chick born with neck bent backwards Sun May 19, 2013 9:54 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Chicks like that are called star gazers. Depending on whether it can eat and drink it might make it. I believe giving it vitamine E can help.

3Chick born with neck bent backwards Empty Re: Chick born with neck bent backwards Sun May 19, 2013 10:17 pm

foal0069

Thank you, it should be able to eat and drink but will it's neck straighten out

4Chick born with neck bent backwards Empty Re: Chick born with neck bent backwards Sun May 19, 2013 10:38 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have had 3 or 4 of these and they have all pulled through. They seemed to be able, after a day or two, to at least straighten out their neck long enough to eat and drink and the actual flipping of the head stopped after a week or so.

The important thing is you do not breed this bird nor sell it to anyone who is planning to breed, whether seriously or for fun. And I always tell the people I give the chick/bird to that it had wry neck (or star gazer) so therefore not a breeder but should still be a good layer if a hen in the end.

5Chick born with neck bent backwards Empty Re: Chick born with neck bent backwards Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 pm

foal0069

Thank you, this baby will get it's own special tag and if it's a hen will live out her life here on our farm

6Chick born with neck bent backwards Empty Re: Chick born with neck bent backwards Sun May 19, 2013 10:55 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Your welcome. Smile

I do tend to dip its beak more than just the one time when I first put it in the brooder. Usually, 4 or 5 times over a period of the first few days. I feel that it is able to observe the others eating because they eat way more often than drink but worry they might miss where the waterer is given they are in an awkward position for awhile.

7Chick born with neck bent backwards Empty Re: Chick born with neck bent backwards Sun May 19, 2013 11:10 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

If this chick was able to hatch on its own, its abilities are better then you might think. Thus, I would give it the chance to live.

Also...I think there are two things that can go wrong in the shell, of course we'll never be able to know what has gone wrong...if a chick hatches a 'stargazer' due to genetic issues, that's one thing. If a chick hatches a stargazer because of an unfortunate fluke of a bad turn in the egg one day, that's another thing.

If you sleep on your arm funny and it gets weird with pins and needles, is that a genetic mistake? No. It's a misfortune of bad positioning. I think some of the mistakes in eggs are NOT due to bad genetics, but simply bad luck. I would not condemn this chick simply because he put his head in a bad place and it got stuck there. Hatched with a kink in his neck.

For 'flippers', chicks that tip their heads backwards and then flip onto their back, I have propped them up in a coffee cup, in a standing position, for several hours at a time. They can't flip if they're propped upright. Sometimes this helps them get sorted out. If yours flips himself over backwards, the coffee cup trick might help.

8Chick born with neck bent backwards Empty Re: Chick born with neck bent backwards Mon May 20, 2013 9:52 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Again, I am realizing just how much I have to learn. I had never heard of this before.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum