Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winter Waterers

+7
Schipperkesue
calliope
CynthiaM
rosewood
KathyS
coopslave
ChickenTeam
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Winter Waterers Empty Winter Waterers Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:26 am

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

Just wondering what can be used for water in the winter in unheated conditions. Last year I had to bring in an ameraucana a couple of times to thaw and clean the frozen icicles hanging off the beard under her beak. In another post Cynthia commented on frozen wattles and changing the her waterers, and it got me thinking. In winter I just use sturdy bowls that I can bang the ice out of and fill with fresh water. So far only my chanteclers are smart enough to break through the ice to get at the water.

2Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use the stainless steel waterers and put them on heated bases. It works for me at this stage.

3Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:34 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use one of those sturdy rubber buckets you can get at feed and livestock supply stores. When it starts freezing over, I drop in an electric water bucket heater, as I don't like the hens to be without water for any length of time. They need lots of water to keep laying well, and I'm lucky to have electricity in my coops.
It is important to be aware that metal containers in unheated conditions can pose a problem for roosters' wattles. They will suffer some frostbite just from dipping in the water as they drink, but I believe coming into contact with a metal container only makes it worse. When it comes to feeders and waterers, I only use plastic or rubber, and my large feeder is fiberglass.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

4Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use a heat lamp over water buckets here. I tried a couple heated bases, but the water still froze solid. For some I just add warm water to the frozen buckets a couple times a day. We usually do not have very cold weather for more than a week or two here. Last year the Wyandottes spent the winter in an outdoor run with heat lamps. They would have been fine except the hydro went off for 5 hours at -30. Some had frozen combs and one rooster froze his toes.

5Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:21 am

I've tried a number of things, lamps, heated base, insulating around the waterer (with shavings) and have settled on a galvanized 3 gallon (?) font waterer with heat tape wrapped around the outside wall. I can easily remove the lid to refill and so far it's never frozen and the metal stays comfortable to the touch.

6Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:39 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is such a subject that has been touched on before, so many ideas that people have, some successful, some not.

The thought of the frozen wattles shivers me timers. I really have to say that. I had an open heated dog water bowl for my buff orpingtons last year. The rooster as he drank, had clearly dipped his wattles in the water. The air was cold at the coldest point. It was -17 and that is not even cold compared to how cold many of our forum friends get. I know for a fact that the entire bottom part of his wattles froze solid, turned black, fell off, and now he has shortened deformed wattles. It never bothered him either. One day the black wattles there, a few days later, gone. Must have fallen off. I have a friend in the area that had the same issue, with a marans cockerel, only his wattles got infected, she had a horrible time. Anyways. For me, absolutely no open water like that wherein a bird can get the wattles dipped...this scares me.

My experience in how to deal with this is: each of my coops has a heated dog water bowl with water within.

ON TOP of that heated dog water bowl, I place the drinking apparatus. Which is plastic fonts and metal fonts. I do not worry about the metal fonts chilling the birds because the birds don't touch the metal font, they dip their beaks into the water that comes in the small area where the water sits on the metal fonts. The fonts are inside the coops and it goes well below zero in there.

I personally think it extremely important that chickens have free water, at any given time during the day. I am fortunate that I have electricity to my chicken barns. Many do not and must rely on themselves to break ice, or bring water to the birds certain times of the day. This is life. And birds learn to drink when they can. Those without the electricity that is wonderful, have a very big job ahead of them coming the wintertime. (and I don't envy any of you, I think that is a really big job, sigh....packing water....oh so done with that, been there, done that too). Chickens adapt to whatever care they receive, my hats off to ya all!!

I tried using the heated tape, like Farmchiq is talking about, last winter. It didn't work. It was cumbersome and just a pain in the butt. I took it off and put it somewhere, deep and lost I am sure in our container that holds the rest of our life stuff that we can't fit into our current home. I should pull it out and try again, perhaps I just did not do it right. Anyways, I went out and bought another heated dog water bowl, so don't really need it, but should try.

The first year that we were here, I foolishly spent $100 or so, on this freakin' stupid thing that was like a heated base, that only turned on when the temperature went to zero. That was a waster of time and money. I use it for water to sit on in the summertime so it is up off the ground. That is how little I think of it. I think that I am going to get my Husband to pull it apart when the weather is below zero and see why it doesn't work. Could have been just a lemon, but it was a piece of crap, and I did not like it...Maybe it would work if he revamped it, but I have the heated water dog water bowls, so am OK.

I think if I were to give chickens water in an open container ever. and who knows, that day may come where the luxury of electricity is not present in the coops. That I would only put water into a gallon bucket. That way the roosters more than likely would not droop their wattles in the water. The opening is small enough that mostly heads would only go in. Hmmmm..thinking about it, not sure if that might not work, but maybe a thought.

Also something that I think might be an idea to keep the water in the fonts not frozen, would be to make like a bit tea cozy that would fit over the top of the water font. I still might do that, cause I think that insulating the metal, in particular might keep that font from getting really, really cold. That would not be hard to do. Only long enough that it did not touch the water, but surrounded the font. I might engage my Sister, the designer to make one for me. She a premium sewer and would love to make something. But then...on the on the other hand, maybe the chickens might peck it to pieces, blah....but that too is a thought for people that are handy with the design and making of stuff (Uno, you quilter girly, girl, you come to mind, think of a tea cozy thick quilty thing over the water fonts) Razz

Yep, good topic, bring it!! Have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

7Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:35 pm

calliope

calliope

My neighbour gave me a couple of call ducks earlier this year and I am going to be putting them into the winter coop with some chickens once their pond starts freezing up. This is the first time I've ever had call ducks, and I was wondering what you call duck people do for their waterers in the winter. The coop will have one of those tall metal waterers with the heated base to keep it from freezing. I hope they don't get too depressed about not having their pond in the winter, but it will freeze solid. Thanks Smile

8Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use plug in dog water bowls and pails.

I also give the chickens a big vat of snow. They love to peck at it.

9Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

10Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:46 pm

calliope

calliope

Super, HigginsRAT, thanks a lot!

11Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:20 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

So curiousity has me asking what size do you use of heated dog waters? I have yet to purchase mine I haven't had this many birds before and usually just used stainless steel pails that I could bang ** out when I needed to refill. This year I'm thinking its not enough to have these 2 small buckets.

12Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:42 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ruffledfeathers wrote:So curiousity has me asking what size do you use of heated dog waters? I have yet to purchase mine I haven't had this many birds before and usually just used stainless steel pails that I could bang ** out when I needed to refill. This year I'm thinking its not enough to have these 2 small buckets.

The wide low ones, not the bucket ones. The bigger the better. They take minimal electricity and this year I think I am going to rig up a coroplast top with an opening to improve insulation, diminish evaporation, and prevent the chickens from walking through the water.

13Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:48 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Oh yes,

The joys of winter watering..... after the past few winters I have decided to try a new approach... MAYBE... haven't decided yet, as this is something that I should have done a while back.
anywho check out this video, this might be a good idea for summer even.

https://youtu.be/lO-Q2ag00I0

14Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:07 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jonny, I had thought of those water nipples at one time, but decided they might not be worth the effort to install and then (in my set up anyway) would probably not be useable in the winter. I do think it would be great for summer to always have that steady supply of clean water!

hmm...what if a person had a water collection barrel inside the building and you could keep it from freezing?? Piet had a great post recently for keeping his rabbits' water from freezing. But it sounded a bit complicated to me. scratch

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

15Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:40 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I have been thinking of getting a 45gal barrel, clean one. Building a crate/box around it place the barrel in the centre and spray expanding foam inside the crate. let it set. then make an insulate lid as well. Put this inside one of the coops and run a heater and pump inside it to keep the water moving.

16Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:55 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jonny Anvil wrote:I have been thinking of getting a 45gal barrel, clean one. Building a crate/box around it place the barrel in the centre and spray expanding foam inside the crate. let it set. then make an insulate lid as well. Put this inside one of the coops and run a heater and pump inside it to keep the water moving.

I'll bet a pond supply store could help you out with this, Jonny.

17Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:41 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

18Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:29 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Ruffledfeathers wrote:So curiousity has me asking what size do you use of heated dog waters? I have yet to purchase mine I haven't had this many birds before and usually just used stainless steel pails that I could bang ** out when I needed to refill. This year I'm thinking its not enough to have these 2 small buckets.

The wide low ones, not the bucket ones. The bigger the better. They take minimal electricity and this year I think I am going to rig up a coroplast top with an opening to improve insulation, diminish evaporation, and prevent the chickens from walking through the water.

Sue what happens if the chickens spill it or it gets empty do they burn out??
just wondering Thanks

19Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:

Sue what happens if the chickens spill it or it gets empty do they burn out??
just wondering Thanks

I try to keep them full so they are too heavy to spill. However, spilling has happened on occasion. Usually when the bird gets tangled in the cord. I try to attach the cord to the wall so that doesnt happen. When they spill I have never had burn out. The base is usually bigger than the lip. I am thinking a wide plywood base may help with the spillage issue though. You could drill a hole in the base and wire it on.

Tara, I like the cord wrap idea. I usually try to have all the cords outside the runs and zip tied to the wire of the pen.

20Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow, guys thanks for all the ideas cheers

21Winter Waterers Empty Re: Winter Waterers Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I was watching my Orp roosters drinking their water today, I gave them a small round rubber bowl, and with this they had water all over their wattles. I can see that being a problem over winter.
With the traditional poultry plastic fount i gave them later in the day they had less issues with watery wattles.. Razz I am going to play around with this in the coming weeks. See what works better for them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum