Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Power out, cold eggs

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Power out, cold eggs Empty Power out, cold eggs Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

We woke in the wee hours to total darkness and the power out. First thought was AGH! EGGS! Fumble for a flashlight, light a few candles, get downstairs to the incubator and COLD!

Pace the house for an hour feeling frantic. Search for those hand warmer things that you break and a chemical reaction makes them hot. But they are in the snowmobile, I think, or more likely, behind the seat of Hub's truck, and the truck is gone. (he goes to work at 5)

Think Uno, think! Ah! Last night I was putzing around with the waterbator idea. I had lined my big turkey roaster with a black garbage bag and put about 2 inches of water in it while Hub made scoffing sounds from the sofa. Experimented to see if a 60 watt bulb would heat 2 inches of water in a roaster. It does. I meant to clean it all up before bed last night, but was too tired. Went to bed with a roaster full of bagged water sitting in the kitchen.

SO as I stand there, in the dark and cold with eggs getting colder all around me...I lit a fire in my little kitchen stove and set that roaster of cold water over the flame. In short order the water hit 111. I set the eggs in with a tea towel covering the garbage bag of water and took the roaster off the oven. Those eggs were toasty warm. Even though the water was 111, I knew the eggs had a ways to go before they hit that temp themselves. But at least they were warming up and not getting colder.

I was amazed at how long that water held temperature. Not only is air a very poor conductor of heat, it has practically ZERO heat mass. And as we blow it on eggs, we bung up their evaporation rate. I truly think this water bator is going to make me a billionaire! But I still haven't figured out a switch mechanism to turn the heat on and off.

So the eggs were saved thanks to my little wood stove and a roaster full of bagged water. My toes got warmed up AND I made some coffee. Very Happy A good time was had by all.

2Power out, cold eggs Empty Re: Power out, cold eggs Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Why don't you try to find a thermostate from an actual waterbed?

3Power out, cold eggs Empty Re: Power out, cold eggs Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Or, even better, just get a whole water bed. you can turn the eggs just by jumping on it!

You can use this idea, free, from me.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4Power out, cold eggs Empty Re: Power out, cold eggs Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:06 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Size is the issue. The inside of my roaster is only so big, has to accommodate the electrical cord the thermostat is wired too, the bulky top of the garbage bag all twist tied together PLUS the eggs themselves. It gets crowded in there fast.

Hub has suggested buying a thermostat, but they are not cheap and you never know how accurate they are. I would like to invent a bator that any one of you could copy with simple objects you have around your home and the wiring ability of someone with basic electrical skills. Those of us who have bators likely have a wafer or two kicking around. I would like to invent a way for a wafer to do the job. Then all you'd have to buy is a switch for less than $10, and not a thermostat, which is considerably more.

But...when I'm in the thrift store I'm always looking at old appliances and wondering hmmm, could I rip a thermostat out of there? Buying all new parts takes the fun out of inventing. Once I get frustrated and the fun is over I'll start buying.

5Power out, cold eggs Empty Re: Power out, cold eggs Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:08 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ha ha, Heda! In fact, I discovered this morning that a bag of water does indeed have the ability to propel things if you're not careful! There will be no bouncing on the waterbator or there will be broken eggs all over the place! This IS a consideration!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum