Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why my eggs are not priced competitively with Walmart eggs.

+6
bckev
KathyS
bigrock
'lilfarm
coopslave
Schipperkesue
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, I realize I ask more for my eggs than you would spend at Walmart and normally I would just say "Feel free to purchase them there." But not today. Today I will tell you what you are also purchasing when you buy factory eggs.

Let's start at the beginning. Factory chickens are a cross breed. Mine are a heritage breed. Before you call me a chicken snob, let me tell you a little about what this means. My eggs are a by-product of my efforts to improve and preserve our old fashioned breeds. Walmart eggs are not. The end product there is the egg, not the chicken. I raise all my chicks, select the ones that will be the best contributors to improving the breeds I have chosen, and sell the remaining hens to others as layers. The boys are also kept to maturity and eaten. When a Walmart chicken is hatched it is put in front of a sorter. This person will sort the chicks by sex. Females are placed in a brooder to grow into layers. Males are put into large plastic bags into which a pipe pumps carbon dioxide. These chicks are killed and incinerated. That is what you purchase when you pay for Walmart eggs.

My chickens grow up on dirt. Run in the sun. Eat bugs. Walmart chickens are raised in closed bio secure buildings. That is what your Walmart dollar buys.

My chickens grow to adulthood in uncrowded conditions. They hop into nest boxes when they want to lay an egg. They scratch and dig in their bedding in the barn. They roll in dirt. They run and chase. Walmart chickens are called battery hens. They live in a building in a small wire pen by themselves with a place to eat and drink. They stand on wire all their lives. They can eat and drink and poop where they stand. That is what you support with your Walmart dollar.

My hens lay eggs throughout their lives. I have had chickens seven years old and still laying! Their bodies rest in the winter and begin to produce eggs again in the spring. Battery hens burn out quickly. They lay year round. When their laying days are up they are destroyed and new hens take their place. This usually happens before the age of two. This is what your Walmart dollar purchases for you.

So yes, you can buy pale flavourless eggs at the Walmart or other grocery stores for $2 or less, but remember, you are buying a whole lot more than just those dozen eggs.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you Sue, very well written.
Do you mind if I use it as well?
I don't often sell eggs, but I may be a bit more in the future.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Please help yourself, Coopslave. I like it when consumers are informed.

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

Amen to that!
I sell my eggs at work where I'm lucky to have a good number of urbanites who support “buy local” and appreciate farm fresh eggs. To separate my product from the confusion about free run and free range, I market my eggs as “ethically and naturally raised”. And I don’t sell them for Walmart prices! One day I posted my extras for sale and had a response from a fellow asking where he could buy eggs from unethically and unnaturally raised hens. I told him, “Just go to Walmart” and that he would be able to get them a lot cheaper there too. He’s known to be a bit of a jokester but I took the opportunity to educate him a little bit. Gave him the same spiel you did in your excellent post. I also told him about the immense suffering caused by what is euphemistically referred to as “Cage Fatigue Syndrome”. This is essentially brittle and fractured bones (severe chicken osteoporosis) caused by the depletion of calcium from the bones from extreme production and a “just enough” diet, accelerated by the inability of hens in a small cage to move naturally (so no bone strengthening activity) and high levels of cortisol (a stress hormone) caused by battery cage living. I’ve read that about 30% of battery hens are found with some degree of this condition at the point they get to be turned into chicken by products. Some don’t make it that far. Not sure what is worse, the dying or the suffering in pain from fractured or broken bone(s) for weeks or months. I’m sure the people working in these factory barns do their best to take out the dead ones from those masses of hens stuffed in cages, row upon row and row on top of row……

I try to educate people whenever there is an opportunity. Some care a lot, some care a little, some don't care at all and there are some that simply don't know. I can't change the world but I might be able to start a little ripple of awareness if I can educate and change a few people's minds.

Very good post!

I would like to use this too Sue if I may. I'm a bit of a crusader with the barnyard layers. Mine are not all heritage, though some are, but I tout the virtues of happy, healthy, bug-eating, firepit-ash-bathing birds to all my customers. Still, I get the odd 'sniff' of disapproval over my pricing. Thanks for writing this out. It's exactly what I try to convey.

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

well said Sue. I often feel bad about the price of my eggs. I know about everything you said, but you said it with such eloquence....
i feed my birds organic food and scratch from babies, and i get the comments about the "other" eggs costing less. The food i buy my chickens costs twice what standard food costs...the chickens cost twice what the standard chickens cost... Again, i try to educate...but it is what it is. If people don't want to pay; they don't have to.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Please go ahead Farmchiq. I know many of us are passionate about our practices

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very, very well stated. We all know our farm-fresh eggs are so much better than store eggs in every way. Even the high priced organic ones are sadly lacking in real egg flavor, freshness and the nutrition value is higher in our own eggs too. We've seen this topic on the forum before, but not stated in quite this way. I really like this explanation, Sue. It touches on so much more than the eggs themselves. I wish this could be added as a disclaimer on every carton of eggs sold in grocery stores in Canada, just like the health warnings on cigarette packs.

I think this is a very good reminder not to take it for granted that all people know the horrible conditions endured by caged hens, or the fate that awaits all those male chicks produced by hatcheries that supply those hens. Ignorance may be bliss, but ignorance does not drive positive change.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just got back from a little vacation where I ate out all meals, and had eggs for breakfast. The difference in flavour and quality was horrendous. I have no problem selling my eggs and occasionally have people buy cheap store eggs but they come back really quick and always say how much better my eggs are.

Beep

Beep

I've been raising chickens for almost 20 yrs.  And although I know how the factory hens are kept (and the poor lil roos!), it still makes me SO sad and MAD to read posts like Sue's where these wonderful birds are treated SO poorly in the factory farms Crying or Very sad I wish there was a disclaimer on those factory egg cartons so people actually know what they are supporting.  I've learned that the baby roosters are thrown (literally) into a grinder and turned into "mechanically seperated chicken".  My kids won't touch chicken hot dogs for fear that they are made from baby roosters!  

Hooray for people who ethically raise birds and cheers to those who support them! cheers

Last edited by Beep on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was in Walmart yesterday and saw their fancy organic, free-rangey eggs were $6.50/dozen.

Makes my ethically raised $3/dozen eggs look pretty good.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

How much were the bottom of the barrel eggs, Authentic?  Last time I looked in the Drayton Walmart. They were $1.89 a dozen!

I too sell for $3 a dozen. Five years ago in Edmonton I was asking twice that.

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue. so glad you pointed out how your older birds are still laying eggs. I'm not saying this to knock people who keep the man made egg laying breeds but so often I read posts where the man-made egg breeds are burnt out by the time they reach 2 years. Even on farms where they are allowed access to all the good things a chicken needs, I do read the posts saying how these type of breeds are spent. My heritage breeds well past 5 years still lay eggs. Maybe not as often as they once did, but we never want for an egg.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bravo! Amen! Well said!

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I didn't look at the price of the cheapo ones. I just looked at the ones I felt were on par with my eggs. Although I doubt those fancy organic - egg producing hens had someone hand-pick them organic, home-grown apples and raspberries this morning.

There will always be faster horses, younger women, greener grass and cheaper eggs. I am just not interested in marketing to people who don't already understand that.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum