Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

chicken eggs vs duck eggs

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1chicken eggs vs duck eggs Empty chicken eggs vs duck eggs Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:02 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We went to the farmers market yesterday and there was a lady there with duck eggs. Being a duck owner myself ( we have Khaki CampbellsMuscovys and have just hatched out 4 Welsh Harlequins) I went over to talk to her. She has Runner Ducks that lay from late May until some time in October, and has an excess of eggs. She says that she has been to the Wednesday market and the Saturday market and sells maybe one dozen a week. At the moment I have no problem either selling or using my eggs, chicken or duck. I have heard this before from other duck raisers (is that a word?) What I am wondering is why people are so reluctant to buy duck eggs??? They are excellent to bake and cook with and ya they are a little tough if you just fry them so we do omlettes and scrambled etc with them, they are delicious. Can anyone give me insight into this question? I like both.

2chicken eggs vs duck eggs Empty Re: chicken eggs vs duck eggs Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Because they don't see them at Safeway's so it is novel and unusual.

Also, the reality is, in North America we don't have a food culture, where a variety of products are used and eaten and are in fact common.

My 2 cents worth.

3chicken eggs vs duck eggs Empty Re: chicken eggs vs duck eggs Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are excellent for baking. It sometimes just comes down to culture. I knew a guy who sold all the duck eggs he could produce to ethnic groups in the area. Certain cultures actually prefer duck eggs to chicken if they can get them. I think he said that, in his area, the Chinese and Dutch were his main customers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum