Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advice on acreage purchase / lease

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:31 am

rural2a28

New Here

I am trying to transition my family from city to rural. I don't know if we should lease or buy. Afraid leasing will come w/ too many restrictions. Our landlord right now won't even let us paint my daughter's room white.

We can't afford much, maybe 3 or 4 acres. Goal is to have about 12 chickens and garden w/ green house.

Our child needs school and hubby needs work, so we can't be too isolated. I don't know where to start looking for info. Hoping to find some on this site study . Much appreciated.

2Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Re: Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:45 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

It would be helpful if we knew where you're currently located, and where you're looking to relocate to.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 am

rural2a28

New Here

We live in Calgary.

4Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 am

rural2a28

New Here

Sorry. Not enough coffee this morning.

Not sure where to relocate.

5Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Re: Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:16 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

6Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Re: Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

We were looking at real estate a few years ago and we found that there was cheap land to be had around Coaldale, Alberta (near Lethbridge). I have no idea what the job market or schools are like, though.

I live in east central Alberta, Vermilion area, and land prices for full quarter parcels are on the rise thanks to the booming oil economy and the BIG farmers in this area. If you're willing to live 20-30 minutes from a grocery store, though, there are inexpensive small acreage properties still available. There are also LOTS of jobs - mostly oilfield. If your husband is willing to commute 30-60 minutes to work, this area could be a contender. If he has a clean Class 1, he should be able to get a job lickety split.

Here's an example of a local acreage listing, near a hamlet called Clandonald - EXCELLENT K-9 school there:
http://listings.northernlightsrealestate.ca/page.php?9&ptype=17&property_id=292

Or for a little more money, a full 160 acres around Vermilion:
http://listings.northernlightsrealestate.ca/page.php?9&ptype=17&property_id=295

Acreages up for lease are NOT common in my area. Lots of oilfield money, everybody just buys everything.

I suppose it all depends on your own interpretation of what constitutes cheap/expensive. I came from the Calgary area myself, so to my inflated-Calgary-real-estate-pricing brain, property in my area is pocket change.

If you're looking to move outside of Alberta, Saskatchewan might be worth looking into. Land is CHEAP (compared to Alberta), the people are friendly, and the economy is picking up, so there should be some jobs to be had. I can't advise as to a specific area, though.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

7Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Re: Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:45 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am in b.c. and a lot of time large acreages are cheaper than small acreages. Some of the things to think about before you buy. It costs a lot to live in the ocuntry, not as many amenities. If you are on a well, get it tested and make sure it produces enough water. If you are septic get it looked at and make sure it is working well. These are two huge expenses that a lot of city folk don't even think about. Make sure you can afford a quality vehicle because you will be driving lots more. Check into insurance costs, how you heat, material on your roof can have a huge impact on your home insurance. I am sure there are a lot more things to think about but these are a few off the top of my head.

8Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:05 am

rural2a28

New Here

Thank you Tara. Very good to know about the zoning language and what it means. Will definitely read the by laws carefully.

My daughter is very excited about this. Hubby not so much but he has great handy man skills.

A friend of mine is a botanist and has given great advice. Eg. companion planting - planted mint and tomatoes - they just exploded - had to cut back the tomato plants, too heavy. Can't wait to have a proper garden / greenhouse.

Looking forward to reading the exchanges on this site.

-Wendy p.s. love the chicken emoticon - too funny

9Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Re: Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:37 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

10Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Re: Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:06 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

good points tara, there are so many things we take for granted after a while, but I see the city folks moving into the neighbourhood being bamboozled. We have had problems with people not understanding range land rights and that it is up to them to fence their property to keep the cows out. Water is the big one I see over and over. When we moved into our place we still had a party line. Finally got kind of high speed a few months ago. You learn you need to rely on yourself, and the importance of good neighbourly relations.

11Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Re: Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Remember that when you move from the city to the country, you are swapping city amenities and downsides for country amenities and downsides. Some of the country things that you may find shocking are: sounds and smells of farming. Animal noises. Well rigs (are you staying in Alberta?). Farming can be dusty, stinky, loud and long hours. Don't expect the bylaw person to come out because your neighbour's dog barks all night long. That dog is likely working for his keep and doing a good job of it. If your power fails in a storm, it might not come back on too quickly if there are other more densely populated areas effected as well. If you rely on an electric well pump, you may want to consider getting a generator (something I know but have not done). You may need a means to plow your driveway and maybe even your side road if Hubby needs to get to work for a certain time.

Lots of good advice in this thread for anyone considering the move to the country. I hope you do it. It comes with more good things than a person could list, and even if we all listed the things we value about country living, you'll have some of your own to add to the list once you've settled in.

I agree that when you buy, and having done due diligence to get a good picture of the state of your property, buildings, area; once that's all behind you, everything you do will be for YOU.

12Advice on acreage purchase / lease Empty Re: Advice on acreage purchase / lease Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:50 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This is such a great thread for city folk moving to the country. I have seen lots of them come and go in my neck of the woods. The real estate agents don't do anything to help prepare them. So many want the convenience of the city and the lifestyle (hopefully idyllic) of the country. I have seen people come and spend a lot of money building their dream homes only to realize that it isn't what they expected. Too much driving, no take out pizza, too dusty etc. More often than not they sell at a loss and the next person moves in spending more money. On and on it goes. The ones I see staying are usually the ones that have very little to start with and work at slow and steady, doing most of the work themselves and learning as they go.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum