Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Electric fence brands

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Electric fence brands Empty Electric fence brands Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have an electric fence but it seems weak. I know some run electrical fencing,so my question is what kind of box do you run. How much property are you controlling?

2Electric fence brands Empty Re: Electric fence brands Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I've used Red Snap'r in various sizes for various sized fences.

3Electric fence brands Empty Re: Electric fence brands Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The most common problem of weak current is a bad ground. Make sure you have a long grounding rod.
Of course that doesn't help with an inadequate power supply.

4Electric fence brands Empty Re: Electric fence brands Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:42 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not sure what brand we recently installed. I think it's called, "Go ahead, just try it."

It's a 40 mile fencer that is attached to about a quarter mile of fencing. It will knock you off your feet. I think OVER doing it is just as bad as under doing it.

Past posts on this topic have also brought up how important it is to have a proper ground and how weather conditions (soil conditions, wet or dry) affect the operation of your fencer. Heard that some people pour water into the ground where the ground rod is pounded, to increase effectiveness. Always practice caution when pouring water near anything that's plugged in! Shazam!

5Electric fence brands Empty Re: Electric fence brands Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:46 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

If you need to increase your zapping power, you can run a grounded wire between your live wires. Then the animal completes the circuit via the wires, rather than through the ground. This is better for dry areas, where the ground doesn't have enough water to conduit the electric current.
Energizers come in different sizes. If it is really weak, and fixing your ground doesn't work, it could be a bad energizer. The place you bought it should be able to test it.

6Electric fence brands Empty Re: Electric fence brands Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:19 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have a good long grounding rod, so thats good. You've got me thinking about the ground and the moisture content. We usually dry up as the season goes on....

on the other hand the box is a hand-me-down from the father in-law. He only used it for keeping a black lab in not 3 400lb cows. Little bit of a difference.Its got to be at least 20 yrs old, so I was thinking maybe its just getting old and weak?

Thanks gang you have me thinking.

Uno thats what I want! I want you to know don't go THERE !!! KAPOW! affraid Its only has to happen once Laughing

7Electric fence brands Empty Re: Electric fence brands Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

A long grounding rod to one, is a short one to another. Depending on your climate, some say to use up to a 15 foot long rod. Now in my yard, I'm lucky if I can get something in 3 inches, so a 3 foot long one to me is long!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum