Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rant about neighbor

+2
fuzzylittlefriend
smokyriver
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rant about neighbor Empty Rant about neighbor Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok it's my turn to rant!! The other day my neighbors dog crossed the line she came and was trying to get into my turkey coop. I phoned my neighbor and ask that they confine/tie her up. I keep seeing her, but didn't say anything else as she is not coming right to my yard

I get a phone call this morning after seeing their dogs here again that my big boy is at their place. He followed their 6 dogs back to their house. The neighbors wife was quite nasty about it, and when I mentioned that he must have followed their dogs back home she got nasty and half yelled at me I tie our dog up at nights. Well it has never been nights that their dogs show up here but during the day.

I really feel like just doing the SSS deal, but am scared if retaliation if my boy follows their dogs home again. Any ideas in what to do? I am going to try catching the dogs the next time I see them and locking them in my horse trailer until the neighbor comes looking as I know then my boy would not follow anyone as they would be here!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

2Rant about neighbor Empty Re: Rant about neighbor Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Catch them and call dog control so they have tp pay to bail them out. They should not be wondering.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

3Rant about neighbor Empty Re: Rant about neighbor Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't want to be rude but if you don't want their dogs in your yard and you have called to complain, you better make darn sure your dog doesn't go to their yard. How would you feel if they SSS your dog? ...Just saying Embarassed

Being as this is your neighbour you need to try to solve the problem as friendly as possible.

4Rant about neighbor Empty Re: Rant about neighbor Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:10 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good neighbourly relations are, to me, VERY important and I feel this takes work and restraint and consideration by all parties.

First and foremost is to make sure that your dog is NEVER doing what you don't want someone else's dogs to do. Yes, your dog might have wandered over because that's where the gang was headed and he just followed the gang to their house. The reason for your dog being there does not matter however. The fact that he is there after you've complained, eek, that's kind of bad. Embarassed

Where we live here on these little acreages, all in sight of each other, dogs ARE a problem for chicken keepers (like myself). SO this is how I deal with new neighbours or dog neighbours who let their dogs wander. I say, "I do not want my dog to be a problem to you. I want my own dog to stay home and if he ever shows up here PLEASE DO NOT BE NICE TO HIM! Pick up a stick or rock or brick and thump him and make sure he knows he is NOT WELCOME at your house! And if your dogs show up at my house and harrass my livestock I will open fire on them with the paintball gun. The paintball gun will not kill them, but it will hurt like hell. I do not want to shoot anyone;s dog in a way that will cause real injury or harm, but I WILL impress upon your dgos that hey better NOT show up at my house."

By telling your neighbour to go ahead and kick your dog's ass, it takes some sting out of telling them that you are going to open fire on their dogs. Fair is fair. It shows that your dog is held to the same standard you expect of theirs. You can even ofer to loan them the paintball gun to shoot your own dog with if needed!

It sounds like things are tense and uncomfortable already. THat is too bad. At this point it would take a big act of humility to call neighbour and say "We have gotten off on the wrong foot here. I really do not want to shoot your dogs, but I can't have them in the turkey pen. Can you think of something I could do that would scare your dogs or discourage them from coming here?" This approach sounds like you are owning their responsibility for their dogs. But not really. What you are doing is graciously and tactfully creating an opportunity for them to not be hostile, not be defensive, not feel attacked. It gives them the chance, if they have any grace themselves, to respond with a considered and more neighbourly response. It's you offering an olive branch and you hope they are good enough people to take it.

You could say something like "I have friends who have shot at dogs with rock salt. It doesn't kill them but it burns and scares them. Do you know anything about that? HAve you ever used salt in a gun? I don't even think we have a gun for shooting salt..." Again, an opportunity for them to do some problem solving with you and even if they have nothing to add, perhaps your kindness and grace will prompt them to keep a better eye on their dogs. And if not, if the dogs are still a problem, then you are free to do whatever you must, knowing that you went above and beyond the call of duty in attempting to resolve this problem peacefully and with no dogs being harmed.

5Rant about neighbor Empty Re: Rant about neighbor Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

My boy is now tied during the day with hopes my chickens don't become lunch for coyotes. I am going to catch the dogs every time they come visiting then phone the neighbor to come and get them. I am hoping that if they have to come get their dogs enough times maybe they will do something. It wouldn't bother me that their dogs were here IF they do not bother my animals. I had explained that to them. There is also an alcohol problem in that home so they are not always prepared to deal civilly with others. I really do t want to fight with them, but I also cannot afford to loose my birds!! I am hoping my solution will help!! If not, I guess I will have to figure out what my next step will be

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

6Rant about neighbor Empty Re: Rant about neighbor Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote:Good neighbourly relations are, to me, VERY important and I feel this takes work and restraint and consideration by all parties.

First and foremost is to make sure that your dog is NEVER doing what you don't want someone else's dogs to do. Yes, your dog might have wandered over because that's where the gang was headed and he just followed the gang to their house. The reason for your dog being there does not matter however. The fact that he is there after you've complained, eek, that's kind of bad. Embarassed

Where we live here on these little acreages, all in sight of each other, dogs ARE a problem for chicken keepers (like myself). [color=red]SO this is how I deal with new neighbours or dog neighbours who let their dogs wander. I say, "I do not want my dog to be a problem to you. I want my own dog to stay home and if he ever shows up here PLEASE DO NOT BE NICE TO HIM! Pick up a stick or rock or brick and thump him and make sure he knows he is NOT WELCOME at your house! And if your dogs show up at my house and harrass my livestock I will open fire on them with the paintball gun. The paintball gun will not kill them, but it will hurt like hell. I do not want to shoot anyone;s dog in a way that will cause real injury or harm, but I WILL impress upon your dgos that hey better NOT show up at my house."

By telling your neighbour to go ahead and kick your dog's ass, it takes some sting out of telling them that you are going to open fire on their dogs. Fair is fair. It shows that your dog is held to the same standard you expect of theirs. You can even ofer to loan them the paintball gun to shoot your own dog with if needed![/color=red]

It sounds like things are tense and uncomfortable already. THat is too bad. At this point it would take a big act of humility to call neighbour and say "We have gotten off on the wrong foot here. I really do not want to shoot your dogs, but I can't have them in the turkey pen. Can you think of something I could do that would scare your dogs or discourage them from coming here?" This approach sounds like you are owning their responsibility for their dogs. But not really. What you are doing is graciously and tactfully creating an opportunity for them to not be hostile, not be defensive, not feel attacked. It gives them the chance, if they have any grace themselves, to respond with a considered and more neighbourly response. It's you offering an olive branch and you hope they are good enough people to take it.

You could say something like "I have friends who have shot at dogs with rock salt. It doesn't kill them but it burns and scares them. Do you know anything about that? HAve you ever used salt in a gun? I don't even think we have a gun for shooting salt..." Again, an opportunity for them to do some problem solving with you and even if they have nothing to add, perhaps your kindness and grace will prompt them to keep a better eye on their dogs. And if not, if the dogs are still a problem, then you are free to do whatever you must, knowing that you went above and beyond the call of duty in attempting to resolve this problem peacefully and with no dogs being harmed.

Yes This....

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

7Rant about neighbor Empty Re: Rant about neighbor Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 am

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

Have you looked into the invisible fence systems? They are much better than tying the dog up and you always know where he is. I would tend to go with a permanent solution, as the 'one time' your dog goes to the neighbours could be his last trip too.

http://LynBarRanch.com

8Rant about neighbor Empty Re: Rant about neighbor Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:02 pm

Find some fire crackers and put them into a tube 2"-4" by three or four feet long ,hold the one end shut with a piece of wood that the crackers are at and aim in what ever direction you want and light ( lady fingers worked real good doing this ) .Sounds like a machine gun Smile ,no one gets hurt ! a bit of a mess maybe to clean up along the exit trail and most likly a scarey lesson learned Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum