Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Need to vent...my neighbor stole my birds!

+11
viczoe
CynthiaM
BriarwoodPoultry
jon.w
toybarons
Schipperkesue
Dan Smith
uno
Prairie Chick
DCChick
Karma Creek Farm
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Karma Creek Farm

Karma Creek Farm
New Here

I had a very beautiful white guinea roo and his pearl mate. This past summer the hen disappeared, I figured she must be on a nest somewhere or perhaps a coyote got her. Well some time later she started showing up again with 9 keets. The male came home every night to roost, but he spent the days with the hen & keets. I spent a few days trying to lure her back to the coopyard, as she was nesting somewhere on the neighbors property.

Then the pair and all the keets just disappeared.

Well now a friend of mine (who loved my white roo and wanted white keets this year) just called me to say she found my guineas! Apparently my neighbor (an older lady) decided that she would trap my guineas in her barn and give them to her sister and niece.

She told them that she called me over and over and I wouldn't come get them (not one call, and she chatted with me across the fence quite often). I even told her I was missing my guineas and she suggested a coyote got them. She also told them that my little cow wrecked her fence and I owe her lots of money so she was justified in taking my birds. This is the first i've heard about it, especially considering that I put in all new fencing between our properties this summer, and it is just fine.

Turns out the niece is (was) friends with my friend and had offered her these guineas, without knowing we were buddies. She told her the whole story of how they were stolen from me. (on another note this same niece only a day earlier was at my place, I sold her a duck!)

My friend then called me to tell me she found my birds and was going to get them and return them to me.

I cannot believe this neighbor lady! Why would somebody feel it was ok to steal another person's animals?

This isnt' the first issue I've had with this neighbor and I am pretty sure it wont' be the last.

I am quite shy and hate confrontations...not sure if or when I will ever say anything. I also fear having reoccurring neighbor feuds, too much stress for my liking. Perhaps one day when I am really ticked off I'll have some words with her. Until then, thank you for letting me vent!

http://www.karmacreekfarm.ca

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Wow Shocked I really don't understand people at all. It's unbelievable that this is happening to you. Some people just have a lot more nerve than me I guess.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not a very gracious neighbor in my eyes, some people do strange things.

However maybe she figured because they were on her property for so long that she was justified in getting rid of them... Even tho if she would of told you they were there you would of retrieved them. Suspect

If you had photos of them you could ask to have them sent or brought back ? I wouldn't tolerate this to long , just demand that they be given back , or else

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I know nothing about guinea hens. Will they survive confinement? Animals don't understand fences and property lines, so it's up to us to keep our animals where they belong.

Your neighbour was wrong to take your birds, but I can see the train of thought that people use to justify and excuse their bad behaviour. She probably thought well gee, these birds have been nesting, eating and residing at my place, their babies were hatched out at my place, the owner does not seem too worried about them (whetehr this is true or not) therefore...happy day, I guess they are mine!

This is a fine example of dishonest social conduct. But had she called you earlier and said, keep your guineas off my property, is there a way you could have done this and are you prepared to do this now?

Livestock and pets that wander off the property are vulnerable to vehicle collisions, predator attack and neighbours who think that possesion in nine tenths of the law. Under the law, all livestock is to be contained. We've had posts here about the agony people are caused when dogs are allowed to roam the countryside at will, killing livestock. Guineas are livestock. I think to be safe from this sort of thing again, your gunieas are going to have to be confined, because free fowl seems just too good for your neighbour to pass up.

I do not envy your position. Bad neighbours can make life miserable! I hope you can get past this and not let it affect you for too long, although it is sure upsetting right now!

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

File a report with the RCMP. Then tell her what you have done. Pretty sure she will be afraid to have anything to do with you or your animals. She is not worth having as a friend or neighbor.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Unfortunately she IS a neighbor and I wouldn't be rocking the boat. Bad neighbors with the kind of thinking she has, the kind that rationalize their poor behavior can become dangerous neighbors if provoked.

I would have little more to do with her, but I would certainly keep a wary eye for further transgressions.

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Woman has balls, or what Shocked

First, if you had any friendship with the woman to begin with, I would cool it off. If she notices your change of behaviour towards and says anything, then I would say something. Politely and matter of factly, "I just think it was a scummy thing you did saying my birds were killed by a coyote when all along you knew where they were. If you had a problem with my birds on your property, then you could have just said and I would have done something about it."
But that's just me.

Brass tacks is, what Uno already said about it being unsafe for your livestock to be wandering around is correct. Most places have bylaws and codes that are clear that livestock must be contained by the owner. Build yourself a beautiful coop and put your birds in their to enjoy.

Just make sure it's got a neighbour proof lock on it Very Happy

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I agree lol!
toybarons wrote:Woman has balls, or what Shocked

First, if you had any friendship with the woman to begin with, I would cool it off. If she notices your change of behaviour towards and says anything, then I would say something. Politely and matter of factly, "I just think it was a scummy thing you did saying my birds were killed by a coyote when all along you knew where they were. If you had a problem with my birds on your property, then you could have just said and I would have done something about it."
But that's just me.

Brass tacks is, what Uno already said about it being unsafe for your livestock to be wandering around is correct. Most places have bylaws and codes that are clear that livestock must be contained by the owner. Build yourself a beautiful coop and put your birds in their to enjoy.

Just make sure it's got a neighbour proof lock on it Very Happy

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

How old is this woman? Her behaviour almost makes me think maybe she has a loss of mental function - alzheimer/dementia? Either that or pathological liar Sad Glad you got your birds back but not a great situation.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh no, this is just awful to hear. Really gotta wonder what goes on in some people's minds eh? I am just happy that your friend has the means to get the birds back to you. Yes. Sounds like this woman may be a little off her rocker (well, maybe even more than that). Doesn't she know what a small world it really is, after all? If she is a little unbalanced, or even a whole lot, I would consider her a foe and be very careful of how you deal with things. for now, I would just leave it, let those sleeping dogs lie, sometimes things are better that way. But remember, she has an eye for your stock there. When she sees the stock returned, she will know what has happened, that is a given, maybe she will come to you and confess, who knows. But this is a happy day, as far as I am concerned. But best try to confine a little better if you can, perhaps a really nice big pen is in the order for "one day". There have been some weird things going on with things happening to people. Still thinking of Islandchick and the feathers that were CUT off her birds recently and the other horrible things that happened when she had left her home "looked after", blah. So sad. Why can't we all just be nice people, and all be well, just nice people. With that, do have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sorry but I don't want to sound like a naysayer but it is your job to keep your birds home and it is a well know fact that this type of birds tends to wander a little more. It is your job to keep them off her property and she is under no obligation to call and let you know they are not staying home.
While it may have been polite of her and she may have had reasons for not apporoaching you.

I tell my neighbours if my poultry is home and their dog comes over expect it not to come home but if my birds go on to their property they are fair game, as it is my job to make sure they are adquately confined. We get along really well and as neighbours we respect each other enough to do what it takes to be good neighbours.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

la-chicken

I had a similar situation but it involved a turkey.

My turkeys were in their pen but something broke into the pen. I figured it was a coyote.

Got every turkey in but 2 hens. So, I figured they were coyote dinner. 4 months passed and another neighbour was telling me the closest neighbours have a very friendly turkey. So friendly in fact that she was driving them crazy.
Really? they are on the same 1/4 section and not a peep from them. They now I have birds, they drive by everyday. they watch us fix their fences to keep out their horses and could not even ask.

Did I talk to them about the turkey? No, I just growl in their direction. If their horses come on to my land again I will lock them in the pen closest to the road. Then comment they wondered onto my land. I didn't know who's it was so I was keeping them just like someone kept my turkey!

Of course, I will return the horses. Just want to make a point.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry for your troubles KCF. Sad I think it’s shameful this person knowingly gave away your birds, and then had the gall to lie to your face about it. No This is not someone I’d want to have dealings with ever again, neighbour or not. Confinement is probably best for the future safety of your birds.

Flicker Chick wrote:Sorry for your troubles KCF. Sad I think it’s shameful this person knowingly gave away your birds, and then had the gall to lie to your face about it. No This is not someone I’d want to have dealings with ever again, neighbour or not. Confinement is probably best for the future safety of your birds.

That's the main jist of my thinking on this too. Your neighbour may have been slightly justified in some peoples' minds to keep your birds after they made a home on her property, but to LIE to you about it is reprehensible and there is NO justification for that. I would do as others say and confine, and redefine your over the fence friendship. I have zero tolerance for liars and thiefs.

I'm glad you're getting your birds back.

Karma Creek Farm

Karma Creek Farm
New Here

You folks are right, I understand it is my responsibility to keep my animals on my own property. For the most part they do stick around home. Both myself and my birds are happier when they can free range during the day. For the past few months all of my chickens have been cooped 24/7 as the neighbor lady recently got her own chickens and was claiming a couple of my fave hens as hers.

That being said, when my guinea hen disappeared I did ask this lady to let me know if she comes across her so I can retrieve her. She told me that she didn't mind my chickens and guineas visiting her, she fed them scraps in her yard (thus encouraging them), said that she could enjoy them without having to own them.

I work at the local store and she came in today. I really wanted to say something but there were other customers and it just wasnt the right time/place. Boy was my heart pounding though! I hate that stress! She tried being chatty but I wouldn't engage, just served her and moved on to the next person.

I do think there is something else at play here (Alzheimers, not quite all there?) as last spring she had a yard sale, sold almost everything she owned as she was up and moving to california for a couple of years. I bought all of her farmy stuff, feeders, buckets, waterers, fenceposts, etc. The feeders had her name painted on them and we joked about it.

Well she was back home that winter as her plans didnt work out. I asked her to farmsit for a weekend. When I returned, every one of my bird's feeders was missing and replaced with dishes.
I confronted her about it, asked if she knew where all my feeders went. She got all huffy and said they were HER feeders, HER name was on them!
I explained to her that at her yard sale I bought them and if she needed/wanted them back that was fine, but she was going to pay me back for them.
She argued for a bit, said she didn't remember selling them to me, and said she didnt want to fight over it and tossed the feeders back over the fence into my field.

So you see, this isnt' the first issue I've had with her. There have been other things but this thread was really just for me to vent to fellow bird owners about my 'chicken-thief'...I don't know how much I want to drag up (it would sound pretty bad all written down in one place LOL)

http://www.karmacreekfarm.ca

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Definitely some form of dementia going on with the lady, that or she thinks if she plays dumb she can get away with things. I would say you would be best to stay away from any contact with her if you can.

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, it does kind of sound like it could be dementia.

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Would your guineas go to her place if you clipped one wing so they can't fly too high? I know guineas can make an awful racket. I got rid of ours for that reason. And they can fly over some pretty high fences.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

That's so terrible... There are people like that everywhere sadly, all with their own self-justified (though flippin' crazy) motives.

A co-worker/friend of mine, not long ago, had one of her treasured male bloodhounds go missing. They went to wander their acreage as they always do and only one came back. She and her kids (as well as the other hound) looked for him for a week to no avail. He showed up suddenly on their doorstep a few days after they had felt the dog was gone for good. It was -40 outside and he was standing at the door, warm and there were fresh tire tracks outside. He was also showing signs of having tied with another dog. Needless to say it seems to her (and myself as well as others) that someone picked him up to breed their dogs and dropped him off when they were done.

I'm never really amazed anymore by what people do, but it saddens me that good people like you (benefit of the doubt here Wink we don't know eachother well) get shafted in this fashion, not to mention have to live beside this woman for the rest of your time there (or until you force her out).

All the best

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

I'm so sorry to hear about your trouble with your neighbour. I think the important thing is for you
to resolve the situation to your own satisfaction so that it doesn't affect your life negatively. Speaking as a person who doesn't like confrontation either (I'm dealing with a difficult neighbour myself at the moment - he's trying to acquire my property at a bargain basement price and doing things to prevent me selling to someone else) I have found that sticking up for myself in a way that works for me (working with local government in my case) has really helped me let go of the anger because I'm taking action and recognize I can't control the results. I don't know if this helps but it sure has worked for me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum