Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hard decision *sigh*

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hard decision *sigh* Empty Hard decision *sigh* Mon May 16, 2011 8:09 pm

cassiadawn

cassiadawn
New Here

Got all of the farm cats spayed this spring, except one who was pretty far along already. She went into labor sometime this weekend, and I took her to the vet today as nothing seemed to be happening. She's in surgery now - vet figures at least 2 of the 3 kittens have died, probably the 3rd as well. Going to cost a small fortune (don't know exactly yet, but lets just say I could buy a cow/calf pair for what this is probably going to cost!)

Hubby is not happy with the cost (can't say I blame him), I just have such a hard time choosing to euth. an animal that's otherwise healthy. Especially since I feel like it's my fault for not getting her in sooner. No So I made the choice I can live with - but why do I still feel like crap?

2Hard decision *sigh* Empty Re: Hard decision *sigh* Mon May 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Aww Sad sry that things didn't go smoothly with her delivery. It is a tough decision and i am sorry that you had to make it. I would have made the same decision as you did.

3Hard decision *sigh* Empty Re: Hard decision *sigh* Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dawn I would have made the same decision. I hope she does ok through the surgery. It is a hard decision because you are struggling with your hubby's consent, he will come around and understand you made the right choice for your sanity.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Hard decision *sigh* Empty Re: Hard decision *sigh* Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You may be struggling with hubby's disapproval right now but in your heart of hearts you did the right thing. He will come around and you will feel better soon. Lou

5Hard decision *sigh* Empty Re: Hard decision *sigh* Tue May 17, 2011 10:11 pm

cassiadawn

cassiadawn
New Here

Thanks all. Zen is home now, and seems tender but otherwise she's doing pretty well. The surgeon seemed to rather like her, he mentioned a few times how friendly she is, and that even right after surgery she was rolling on her back and rubbing on her cage trying to get someone to pet her.

Surgery/meds/emerg appt/etc cost about $400 less than I was fearing (though still very expensive), which was kind of nice. Her antibiotic is a nice small tablet, but they gave me these big gel caps for her pain meds that are very hard to get her to swallow. I think they get too sticky once they get wet. She ended up biting the first one in half, and foamed at the mouth for about 10 minutes afterward. tongue If I can't get her to swallow her next dose tomorrow morning I think I'll call the vet and see if they have it in some other form.

I spoke to hubby on the phone before going ahead with the surgery (he's away right now - stuff always happens when he's away!) - he did tell me "if it's something you have to do, then do it, we just won't be able to do everything this summer we wanted to". It just makes things tense for awhile, and I hate tense!

On a happier note, I had my 13 week ultrasound today, which cheered me up immensely. Smile Hands and feet and face (and all major organs) all present and accounted for!

6Hard decision *sigh* Empty Re: Hard decision *sigh* Wed May 18, 2011 7:33 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad that she did ok through surgery and that the cost was less than you anticipated.
Also congrats on the ultrasound, I remember how magical they were.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

7Hard decision *sigh* Empty Re: Hard decision *sigh* Wed May 18, 2011 7:48 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes Congrats on all counts. It looks like all turned out well Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum