Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hard decision…

+4
smokyriver
Hidden River
ChicoryFarm
Blue Hill Farm
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hard decision… Empty Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I’ve come to the sad realization ducks are not for me. Sad Besides the fact I’m not very well set up for waterfowl (DH’s already saying told ya so, sigh…) honestly, I am so tired of the mess. I swear ducks are the messiest creatures on earth – or I’m doing something wrong in how I house/care for them. Probably a little of both. As sad as this decision makes me feel right now, I think it’s for the best. Just wish I didn’t feel like I’m letting the ducks down. No I’m really going to miss their funny antics and cheeky personalities. I hope I can find them a good home by summer.

Sigh, I’m not even sure why I'm making this post…I guess I just needed to vent to others who’ve been there and (hopefully) understand. Hubby is so over my moping about selling the ducks. So thank you for listening. (as if you had a choice, haha)

2Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:06 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Comfort There, there Flicker. I'm sorry to hear it's not working for you. If it's not right for you, it's not right for them and you'll find them a good home, I'm sure. It's always humbling to come to these realizations.........I did when I decided to return my two 8 month old Irish Wolfhound sibling pups to the breeder. Raised eyebrows in the neighbourhood in the beginning and then they had the last laugh to boot. Kind of like your hubby....

3Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear that Flicker, ducks are overwhelming in the winter if they are housed too much. I have had a wonderful year with my ducks now I decided water outside with a heater in it, house only for food/sleeping. And they have a large hay bale in their yard they eat, sleep on etc. The only time they have been going into their hosues is when we got that really cold windy streak.

That being said, I know Amy would be more than happy to take them back, let us know a price and we will work on picking them up. If you are really set on letting them go we are heading to Moose Jaw this weekend and could meet you on the way home Sunday for pick up. But ONLY if you are ready to let them go, if not we can work something out for a later date.

I know how much you liked these guys so I understand your dissapointment, and also understand the feeling of not wanting DH to be right and say I told you so....

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:19 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have found most of the mess can be contained if you water outside and just have a shelter for them to go into with lots of straw. They usually don't even use this if they also have straw outside to sit on. They are hardy creatures who really don't need to be housed indoors, just have a shelter to get out of the cold, wind, rain or snow if they wish. My shelter is just a plywood and 2x4 structure that is not insulated for them and they are quite content with that.

Hope your mood lifts, if you do decide you want to let your ducks go, sounds like they already have a good home lined up!! Hugs to ya!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

5Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Smokyriver is right, watering outside helps a lot. But I do hear you and felt the exact same way last year. I let the Silver Appleyards go. I was concerned about my Runners this year.

Guess what? They aren't making a huge mess! My Runners aren't quite tall enough to get down into the waterer.

When I realized this, I gave my Grey Calls a slightly higher waterer. Again, the mess stopped.

Try a taller waterer. Or get a tall bucket and cut access holes around the side. They just need to get in enough to clear their nose.

When I can get them out, they have a shallow pan they can splash in. But my indoor mess is way down.

6Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:51 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear you have to give up your ducks. I know nothing about ducks, but I have been through admiting that something you really wanted wasn't right for you. With me it was dogs. I am not a dog person and realized this with the last dog I had. I'm a bird and cat person. Still I found it hard to admit this to myself as I have nothing against dogs.

Can't offer any advice on the "told-you-so ers." Just grin an bear it, I guess.

7Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:30 pm

la-chicken

I don't have ducks YET.
but will soon.
Thanks for all the information. I now know what not to do.

8Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:42 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I got turned off ducks when I had them in the brooder - the smell just about killed me. Then yes, they were so messy. They went to freezer camp in the late summer and that's the last of ducks.

But now goslings for some reason were fine- maybe an airier set up? and geese for me are delightful. And I only have 4 geese, not 20 the way I did with ducks..

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

9Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you guys, for the support and the duck care tips. It is appreciated more than you know Comfort - and one of the many reasons I love coming to this site.

I know some of what I’m feeling is winter time blues and having a small duck house I have to crawl into on my hands and knees to clean out every few days. Not exactly fun times. I actually do water the ducks outside, though my pails are rather short. The ducks like to climb right inside them, splash water everywhere, and muck away until the ground is a soggy, holey mess. I had their feeder outside as well, until I saw the neighbourhood sparrows were getting more of the food than the ducks. Like I said, my setup is not the greatest.

Regardless, I know in my heart this decision is the right one. I’m finally ready to admit I’m a land fowl gal and let the ducks go. As for hubby, I'll suck it up and let him be right THIS time... Rolling Eyes

Hidden, I couldn’t ask for a better home than on your lovely farm. I will be in touch shortly. Thank you.

10Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:48 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ack! I'm getting flashbacks and feeling nauseated again!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

11Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^ LoL, sorry heda. Embarassed

12Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:41 pm

I did the same thing this summer with my muscovies. It was very hard as I had had them and watched them raise their families for about 4 years. But with so many other things on the go I felt I had to pick my favorite livestock so I wasn't spread so thin and decided that ducks weren't for me. But it was the best decision I could have made for them,myself, and other animals. I found a wonderful home for them with dooversue and am so happy! I was so stressed up intil dooversue pulled in the drive in her truck with her faithful dog in tow. And as soon as we started talking that stress all went away and knew it was totally a great choice for my duckies! And we continue to talk since. I got to meet someone that is very knowledgeable, interesting, and funny who I might not have met otherwise. So in the end I am glad I decided to rehome my ducks. I knew my heart was not in it for my ducks like it should be. I feel like I have more time for who I kept on my farm and just feel more relaxed. So everyone is benefiting from that!

It's very hard thing to do and you do feel like you are giving up somehow. Very hard thing to admit to yourself that something you work at isnt for you afterall. But actually I think that it is a very responsible and carring thing to do too! And to know yourself and be tough enough to do what's best, passing the ducky torch unto somone else. You might have someone pull up your drive that is perfect for your duckies! Goodluck!

Jess

13Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ack!

Even I know "I told you so" are 4 words a husband never utters.

They say and elephant never forgets. elephant Well an elephant is a slack jawed drooling lobotomy patient next to a WIFE!

DUDE! If you're reading this, save yourself while there is still time! Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy???

14Hard decision… Empty Re: Hard decision… Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dutch Girl, you are so right. It was a hard decision, but once made, it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders. I hadn’t realized how stressed this was making me (and my family) until recently. And the best news is I’ve already found the ducks a great home, which makes me so happy. Very Happy I’m so glad I didn’t ‘chicken out’ and posted what I was feeling this morning. Happy endings are the best! I love you

You are one smart cookie Fowler. The DUDE around here shall learn, oh yes, he shall. Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum