Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them

+6
Schipperkesue
fuzzylittlefriend
Pollywog
R. Roo
smokyriver
authenticfarm
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:24 am

I hate that I'm even posting this, it annoys me to absolutely no end and is downright embarrassing. I didn't put this in the advice needed section because it's not chicken related; if it should have gone there, I hope the mods will move it for me Very Happy

I own cats, dogs, chickens and now goats. I've been in a home with several cats almost my entire life and one thing my Mom and my Grandparents drilled into my head was that people should be able to walk into your house and not know you have pets. When Moose's Mom was out last year, early fall, to visit, this was the case. She sat on my couch and said, "I don't know if this is inappropriate to say, but I'm surprised. I can't smell pets at all." I said I burn candles and incense daily and she remarked that no, it wasn't that, it was the lack of smell altogether. Phew, I thought. I've always worried that I'm just immune to it.

A few weeks ago I walked into the house, sighed and then realized if I took a deep breath, there was an undertone of something. Hrm... dust, candle, incense, vacuum, alright, it's gone. A few days later I noticed it again. Then again.

I caught one of my cats urinating on the carpet days later. Threw him outside, sopped it all up, sprayed it with natures magic and so on. I started smelling it -again- and got down with my nose and found out he's likely been soiling the same part of the carpet for a while now. From reading, it can take a while for the smell to just start lingering after it's dried. I'm -so- angry, embarrassed and irate about the entire matter and it makes me upset to walk in the door at night. Come spring, he's an outdoor cat, done. I can't leave him outside without an undercoat in (well I can, but that's wrong to me on many levels). The other cats aren't marking there, as far as I can tell, anyway. Argh, I hope no one thinks less of me for this topic.

I've tried to review the stressors that could have caused it, I've considered the fact that this is the first home he's ever been in with Carpet and, from some reading, some cats prefer it. I've tried moving litter boxes, I keep them clean, I've even changed the litter to see if that would help. He is already neutered, has been for a while, or I would have cut his nuts off myself.

I need advice on getting this smell out. It's not (yet) overwhelming, but, a deep breath leaves a bitter undertone and I know if I can smell it, he definitely can, and that'll bring him right back to that same spot again and maybe get the other cats doing it. >>Removing the carpet is not an option right now<<. I've tried vinegar, nature's miracle, baking soda, carpet fresh, even just water. Since it's a protein stain, I don't ad heat, as that exacerbates the smell and re-activates the crystals. It needs to be known I didn't just spritz the top of the rug, I've poured, literally POURED these liquids into the floor and let them sit so they'd get into the pad underneath and the sub-floor (wood). I let this sit for an hour and pull it up with a shop vac

I read Borax is good, but extremely toxic to animals if ingested, so I'm worried about the puppies tramping on it and licking their paws. I also just read using powdered laundry detergent or liquid mixed with water and pouring it on will also help, has anyone tried this? I'm picking up a bissel little green in hopes that'll help, but there's really mixed reviews on the efficiency and integrity of that product and I don't take lightly to spending $100.00 on something that doesn't work well.

This is likely an -old- situation that just reached enough of an apex to become a noticeable issue. I specifically will -not- have people in my house right now (not that I usually do) because of this situation. Any information or things you've tried are appreciated. As well, similar stories if you have them are fine to share here, as it'll let me know I'm not alone and I'm not a filthy dirty person. Again, the cat being thrown out/put down/shot/disposed of/given away and carpet removal is -not- an option.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sweetened on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total

2Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Call in the professionals! Rather than keep trying new products continuously, bite the bullet and call in some carprt cleaners. They should know the best way to clean it.

Alternately, see if your local fire/flood/restoration company or crime scene cleaning company has a miracle product for you.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:52 am

authenticfarm wrote:crime scene cleaning company has a miracle product for you.

This is a dark thought, yes? But... I can see it.

Thanks for your suggestion. Part of the reason removing the carpet isn't an option is cost -- well, that's most of it. It's possible I might rip it back, shellack the floor and then put it back down. I did read that as well.

Thanks for stopping by.

4Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

As for your kitty have you had him checked for a bladder infection? I had a female do that.

As for the carpet once it is clean, find an odor he doesn't like and spray/sprinkle it on. I would also go to a disaster clean up place or somewhere that sells commercial cleaning products and tell them what you are dealing with. They should be able to help you with a product that will give a good cleaning

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

5Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 am

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:30 am

smokyriver wrote:As for your kitty have you had him checked for a bladder infection? I had a female do that.

As for the carpet once it is clean, find an odor he doesn't like and spray/sprinkle it on. I would also go to a disaster clean up place or somewhere that sells commercial cleaning products and tell them what you are dealing with. They should be able to help you with a product that will give a good cleaning

Excellent suggestion, thank you.

I haven't taken him to the vet, as I have had 3 cats in the past with bladder infections, one with crystals so bad it killed him, and the only sign he shows is urinating out of the box. I also have a cat with Feline IBS, so I know those symptoms (very) well also. The thing with boots is, he used to be an outdoor cat, then I got him and made him an indoor one. He escapes on occasion and since moving to the farm, we started letting him back out. He stopped going out by himself when there was a vicious tom who tore him open. Said tom is now gone, and the new tom of the town is ours and doesn't beat up on the cat in question at all. So I don't know if its a revenge thing or what, because he's doing it right by the front door (not primary access door, but other one). We're considering putting in a cat door so he can go in and out as he pleases, just worried about the several feral cats on the property trotting in.

It should also be noted, all cats (and dogs) get a course of oregano oil once a month, as it helps the cat with feline IBS and it's just easier to throw it in the water so everyone gets it. The cats have also started drinking Kefir, and purportedly Kefir and Oregano oil for 3 days will cure both bladder and yeast infections.

Last edited by Sweetened on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

7Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] <- Maybe try this? I only have 2 little dogs in the house and no carpets (except for an area rug in the livingroom) so don't know if this will work but it's all products that most people have at home anyhow.

8Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:37 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

[/quote]Excellent suggestion, thank you.

I haven't taken him to the vet, as I have had 3 cats in the past with bladder infections, one with crystals so bad it killed him, and the only sign he shows is urinating out of the box. I also have a cat with Feline IBS, so I know those symptoms (very) well also. The thing with boots is, he used to be an outdoor cat, then I got him and made him an indoor one. He escapes on occasion and since moving to the farm, we started letting him back out. He stopped going out by himself when there was a vicious tom who tore him open. Said tom is now gone, and the new tom of the town is ours and doesn't beat up on the cat in question at all. So I don't know if its a revenge thing or what, because he's doing it right by the front door (not primary access door, but other one). We're considering putting in a cat door so he can go in and out as he pleases, just worried about the several feral cats on the property trotting in.

It should also be noted, all cats (and dogs) get a course of oregano oil once a month, as it helps the cat with feline IBS and it's just easier to throw it in the water so everyone gets it. The cats have also started drinking Kefir, and purportedly Kefir and Oregano oil for 3 days will cure both bladder and yeast infections.[/quote]

You can get cat doors that only let animals out and not in. Might work if you want the cats to only go out and not come in.

9Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:38 am

Pollywog wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] <- Maybe try this? I only have 2 little dogs in the house and no carpets (except for an area rug in the livingroom) so don't know if this will work but it's all products that most people have at home anyhow.

Peroxide... I will give that a go.

Re: Cat doors, that's a good suggestion, I could let them in and they let themselves out... I will look for those.

10Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:26 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Speaking from someone who works in emergency vet medicine get some urine checked. For what ever reason this time of year uti's and feline urological syndrome are common. We have had have 2 to 3 completely blocked cats a week for about a month now. Give him the benefit of the doubt. He may have a sterile cystitis, he may have crystals. I have no idea how oil of oregano affects urine ph so if he's prone to crystals who knows there are many factors. If his urine is clean then he's bad kitty and you can toss him out. One of the receptionists had a female cat inappropriately urinating. Urine was clean everythime. They then found a tooth with a cavity removed it and the peeing around the house stopped.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

11Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm

fuzzylittlefriend wrote:Speaking from someone who works in emergency vet medicine get some urine checked. For what ever reason this time of year uti's and feline urological syndrome are common. We have had have 2 to 3 completely blocked cats a week for about a month now. Give him the benefit of the doubt. He may have a sterile cystitis, he may have crystals. I have no idea how oil of oregano affects urine ph so if he's prone to crystals who knows there are many factors. If his urine is clean then he's bad kitty and you can toss him out. One of the receptionists had a female cat inappropriately urinating. Urine was clean everythime. They then found a tooth with a cavity removed it and the peeing around the house stopped.

Alright, thanks so much.

12Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do you mind if I take this in another direction?

I have had animals in the house all my adult life. I have also had the same expectations from family. At first I cleaned like a paranoid person in fear someone would smell an animal when they came in the house. At this point I don't care anymore and I clean to my own expectations. It was hard but you will be happier if you let go of the expectations of others. Why should they tell you how to live your life.

That said, work towards a smooth surface home. Vinyl, wood, leather and lino are your friends. Carpet and cloth are not. It also helps with dust and allergies.

A lino floor does not have to be ugly. Check out this stuff. I have it throughout my home and visitors swear that it is hardwood. It is installed in an instant and all you need is a utility knife and a straight edge.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

13Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Schipperkesue wrote:Do you mind if I take this in another direction?

I have had animals in the house all my adult life. I have also had the same expectations from family. At first I cleaned like a paranoid person in fear someone would smell an animal when they came in the house. At this point I don't care anymore and I clean to my own expectations. It was hard but you will be happier if you let go of the expectations of others. Why should they tell you how to live your life.

That said, work towards a smooth surface home. Vinyl, wood, leather and lino are your friends. Carpet and cloth are not. It also helps with dust and allergies.

A lino floor does not have to be ugly. Check out this stuff. I have it throughout my home and visitors swear that it is hardwood. It is installed in an instant and all you need is a utility knife and a straight edge.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hi Sue;

I understand your point, and I'm good with it, completely good with it. If I don't vacuum for a couple days, I don't care if it's up to other people's expectations. I'm also of the mindset that if you don't like cats on the counter, don't eat at my house! Though I keep them off there while cooking and wipe it down before using the surface, any cat owner will tell you you can't 100% keep a cat from being anywhere or doing anything. However, I cannot handle the smell of cat urine if it's not within 3 or so feet of a freshly used cat box. That smell seeps into your clothes and I smell it everywhere I go, then I'm terrified >>I<< smell like that; I already have the crazy [insert the word goat, chicken, dog or cat here] title to most who know me because I have more than one of each (city folks... no offense, but srsly, not everyone lives a sterile, sanitized life and likes commercial beef).

I hate wood floors, hate them, and will not have them in the bedroom ever again. I prefer carpet because instead of a whole dog worth of hair disappearing under the couch only to be seen once or twice a year when I move eeeverything for spring cleaning purposes, it gets in the carpet and can, for the most part, be pulled up! However, that said, we are planning to remove the carpet from the living room and just use an area rug, but we're not there yet. Maybe this summer, but not now, now is not an option.

I am in complete agreement with you that the house only needs to meet the standards of those who live there, and I started a feud with my grandparents over that. A couple dishes in the sink was enough for them to make a snide remark and I was done with it. Love them, but not everyone has all the time of the day to keep everything perfect. Sorry, I live in my house, I don't keep a museum, and I work/commute making a 10 hour day away from home. That's life.

Thanks for the video Sue, I will look at it tonight!

14Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My cats wet on the dogs bed when we took her away to friend's for a long weekend (we got a house/pet sitter so theyt weren't alone) Someone told me to get Orange-A-Peel from a website call [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It really worked for me and I passed it on to a co worker. It takes the smell of urine out and I even used it when my dog rolled in bear poop...(stinky!). Cost about $10.99 with free shipping. Hope this helps.

15Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:55 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

annoying problem for sure, hope you can solve it soon.
I remember hearing about cleaning the problem spot and then covering it with aluminum foil?
Although if there is a problem they will probably just find another spot?!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

16Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:41 pm

vic's chicks

I had a cat that started to pee on the furniture. She had kidney disease that she later died from. My daughters cat started urinating in her laundry basket, She gave him colloidal silver for awhile and he stopped. My vet says it is urinary tract infections that mostly cause cats to go in the wrong places.

17Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:57 pm

vic's chicks wrote:I had a cat that started to pee on the furniture. She had kidney disease that she later died from. My daughters cat started urinating in her laundry basket, She gave him colloidal silver for awhile and he stopped. My vet says it is urinary tract infections that mostly cause cats to go in the wrong places.

I'm sorry for your loss, Vic. I'll get him into the vet, however I'm certain he's fine. Better safe than sorry though. He only marks the same spot, as though it's a litterbox, not as an alert, and he does it in private excluding the one time where we caught him. From having sick cats in the past, it just doesn't seem the same. However, we'll find out!

18Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:20 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I just let my last senior cat go a couple weeks ago she was 1 week past 16yrs old. She started peeing last spring in the wrong places for no reason. She seemed completely fine and I was MAD but found her kidneys were failing Sad She went on meds and seemed to be doing well until one day she got bad bad bad and I had to rush her up to the vet so she didn't suffer. I'd say something is bothering kitty like a change in the household or health wise. If it's a change in household new animal etc then I had good results with Feliway plugin it releases happy kitty pheremones which you can't smell but they can. I used it with my old girls everytime we moved or had a new baby etc but I'd say a vet check is a good idea just to rule that out.

19Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:34 pm

SerJay wrote:I just let my last senior cat go a couple weeks ago she was 1 week past 16yrs old. She started peeing last spring in the wrong places for no reason. She seemed completely fine and I was MAD but found her kidneys were failing Sad She went on meds and seemed to be doing well until one day she got bad bad bad and I had to rush her up to the vet so she didn't suffer. I'd say something is bothering kitty like a change in the household or health wise. If it's a change in household new animal etc then I had good results with Feliway plugin it releases happy kitty pheremones which you can't smell but they can. I used it with my old girls everytime we moved or had a new baby etc but I'd say a vet check is a good idea just to rule that out.

Thinking about it... It somewhat coralates back to when I brought home the blue point siamese. I got him from an auction. I bid on him because they were lingering at a dollar with no bids, and USUALLY when someone throws in a bid on that, someone else will go up one dollar. Well the time I don't actually want the animal, nobody bid me up -- bought him for a dollar *Sigh* he will also become an outdoor cat in the spring! He's raring to go out as well. Hrm... possible. I will look for one of those machines as well.

20Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Empty Re: Pet stuff, issues, dealing with them Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:01 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well, I'm hoping he's just mad about the new cat and not in need of vet care. Whenever my girls would get mad they'd "mark" my bathmat to let me know GRRRRR but at least it was easy to throw out so I got the feliway and tried that since in my younger days I moved quite often. It used to be very expensive but it's relatively cheap now and it certainly helped us. I think the last refill I bought was only about $25 and it lasts a month. I used it again last summer when we brought home 2 SPCA kitties and we didn't have any "marks". I believe there are some knock offs available at the pet stores now as well. There is also a spray that can be used when travelling or in specific areas

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum