Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013 Empty Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013 Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:07 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I picked up bon appetite magazine yesterday and was flipping through today. One artical was the top 25 food trends of 2013 and number 4 was a trend towards duck eggs as they have a more intense and richer flavour compared to chicken eggs.

I have to say I made chocolate pots de creme for christmas dessert using 10 duck egg yolks and it was the most amazing creation ever! I also made a chocolate cake using them.

Those welsh harlequins are laying machines and the only creature currently laying here so we have been eating a lot of duck eggs.

Funny to be ahead of the trend!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

2Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013 Empty Re: Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013 Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:33 pm

This is interesting to know. I read duck eggs were great additions to bread and pastries, replacing 1 for 1 in recipes, but I'm not sure how accurate that is as I have no experience.

I think we'll get ducks this year, but I read they don't start laying for two years. I'm not quite sure where I read this, or if it's true for that matter, but I am sure looking forward to trying duck eggs and meat!

3Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013 Empty Re: Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013 Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:45 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Mine were born June 1st and started laying in November! They are so far an egg a day with no extra light and even in the cold.

I think that might be geese as I think they take longer to mature.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

4Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013 Empty Re: Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013 Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm

fuzzylittlefriend wrote:Mine were born June 1st and started laying in November! They are so far an egg a day with no extra light and even in the cold.

I think that might be geese as I think they take longer to mature.

*blush* Oooh, mayhaps. Thanks!

5Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013 Empty Re: Duck eggs gourmet trend for 2013 Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:32 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We love our duck eggs Very Happy We love them poached or boiled and I always use them in my baking.

We tried our goose eggs and although they made magazine perfect omelettes they were dry. Kids ate them up but hubby and I decided to stick to duck eggs and chicken eggs Very Happy My geese laid their first spring but I think they breed better in year 2. Ducks however are breeding very early and I almost never get unfertile eggs even though I keep very few boys

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum