Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mandarin Duck Eggs

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mandarin Duck Eggs Empty Mandarin Duck Eggs Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Bob1

New Here

Mandarins have started to lay in the nesting box.
Found 4 frozen eggs.
My question is can you sneak eggs out of the nesting box and incubate them while the hen continues to lay? Does she lay a set amount of eggs or will she continue to lay if you leave a dummy egg?
Thanks

2Mandarin Duck Eggs Empty Re: Mandarin Duck Eggs Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:42 pm

shelan

Too Early ... Well you can take the eggs , if you can get to them before they freeze , she may or may not continue in the same nest box . If you had some dummy eggs to replace with the eggs you take, this would help. She may not like you disturbing her nest , and abandon the nest all together. She may lay another clutch later , depends on her age and if she feels comfortable enough. Older hens can lay even three clutches if the season is right . I will cover the holes of boxes this time of year so they can't go in the boxes . You need them to hold off until April for sure , depending on where you live.

Shelan

3Mandarin Duck Eggs Empty Re: Mandarin Duck Eggs Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:33 am

Bob1

New Here

Thanks Shelan,
I will cover holes and hope for a later batch. They also have alternative nesting boxes inside heated building maybe they will use these.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum