Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chantecler Leg Colour

+2
Arcticsun
KathyS
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Last edited by reneggaide on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:57 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's interesting. Those legs are much whiter-looking than the few willow-legged girls I had this spring. Even his beak is white compared to the nice yellow ones behind.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Last edited by reneggaide on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

If I remember correctly, you should NOT use roosters with willow legs, because it is sex linked. I think that if you want the yellow leg it was important to not use the white leg either, although it is not as bad as using a willow leg.

Tara Higgens wrote an article about it. You should read that. Im not 100% sure I remember correctly.
s

5Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:46 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmm.....I don`t think I would use them if you have other decent cockerels to use.
This can be a problem in some light sussex too, you may find a better idea if you do some searching about yellow legged light sussex! Very Happy
I am not great on leg colour, so would have to do a bit of looking, but I think you will find that white is actually dominant. If my memmory is correct white is W+ and yellow is w. If a bird is carrying any white it will present with white legs as yellow is recessive to white. I hope someone corrects or confirms this. I will have a read if I have some time later.
I suppose the real question is where did the white come from in the first place. Are these your birds or did you hatch them from eggs?

Arcticsun, cockerels never present with willow legs, only the pullets. That is why it is so difficult to get rid of.

6Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:54 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

So my brain is turning over with this a bit. If white is dominant that means these birds could be carrying yellow. If you bred them yellow you would get a high percentage of yellow legged birds. You would still get whites as well. If you were willing to eat the whites, you could use one for breeding. It really depends what you want I guess. It sounds like some work when you seem to have some nice yellow legged ones in there.

7Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Last edited by reneggaide on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

gubi

Interesting that this shows up with the Chantecler too. The Euskal Oiloas are supposed to have yellow legs too but I have yellow, willow, blue and white legged birds hatch this year. I'm keeping a white legged rooster to mate over the yellow legged hens. I don't think I would keep a blue legged rooster though. Blue legs means that he has white epiderm which is the outside of the leg and has dark inside of the leg too. White legged birds have white skin and beaks. Here's a link to the Euskal Oiloa site where we discussed leg colour.http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=110
I'm still learning about it too.

9Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:59 am

chicken crack

chicken crack

Good thread. I'll look up the links and info everyone mentioned. Always willing to learn! I have White Chanties too so the info would be great!

10Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:00 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Where did some of the posts go? Perplexing to say the least. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

11Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:03 am

chicken crack

chicken crack

I was wondering about that myself Cynthia. Thought it was just my phone.

12Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:08 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm.....It is a shame when this happens, particulary when the information is so good and we can all learn so much.

13Chantecler Leg Colour Empty Re: Chantecler Leg Colour Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:36 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, where did the posts go? Oh oh, I see ALL of Rennegaide's posts are gone, except for the one about the chicken fight night, all gone, wonder if he is upset about something, that is not a good thing, sigh....does anyone know what happened, I need to know. Have a great day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum