Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When to clip a broken beak --- Nevermind!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1When to clip a broken beak --- Nevermind! Empty When to clip a broken beak --- Nevermind! Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Our Dark Cornish (DC) rooster finally got what was coming to him. After the Chantecler (Sarge) healed up from being bested by him, it is apparent they had one hell of a scrap that DC came out on the losing side of.

Not only did DC lose a claw in the match, I have discovered he broke his beak while he was at it, and I believe he is already losing weight as I haven't seen him eat for a couple days, he's just not interested. I assume this is because it hurts. The front third of his top beak is cracked and broken and resting at a slight angle -- his beak is closed normally, but you can clearly see the break and dislocation.

I've read you can clip their top beaks, like a dogs nail, and I remember when I worked in a factory barn many (Many) years ago, all the hen's beaks were clipped on the top. I don't want to do this, but if it'll mean he'll live I'm willing to. He's bound for the table next year, but I want some crosses out of him starting in early February, so if I can give him a good quality of life until harvest day, it would be preferred.

How is this done, and does anyone have a humane-as-possible picture series or know of a tutorial with pictures to help get this done?

Also, how does one keep a chicken from squirming/biting down during this process?

Thanks

Edit - DC was DOA when we got home this evening. No need to answer.

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Sorry to hear that Sweetened! Roosters can be frustraiting!

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear the roo passed away. Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum