Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What the beak??

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What the beak?? Empty What the beak?? Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:42 am

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Good morning all!! Having concerns with one of my hens. She came from a mass production farm and had been de-beaked I have had her since February. I noticed yesterday on each side of her beak was pointed. Upon closer inspection it seems the sides are growing back but not the tip. And the sides are starting to crack upward towards her nasal. Wondering how to help her thought about trying to nip the sides off??? I know de-beaking is cruel to begin with and don`t want to hurt the poor girl Sad Also thinking shes probly having a hard time picking up her feed! Any ideas???

2What the beak?? Empty Re: What the beak?? Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:42 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bump. I wonder why no one has responded to this, maybe there is just no advice to be given to you, due to inexperience. I personally cannot help you, but maybe someone will see this and try to help you out. These things are weird sometimes. I wonder what can be done. Have a great day, CynthiaM.

3What the beak?? Empty Re: What the beak?? Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

4What the beak?? Empty Re: What the beak?? Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:02 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Can she eat ok? If so, don't worry. Really. Cosmetic issues aren't that important.

If she can't eat, then you need to act, either by shaving bits off, or by putting her down.

5What the beak?? Empty Re: What the beak?? Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:55 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:about me to know nobody enjoys listening to my stories a second time round!! LOL

OK, fine and dandy...I'll post instead of whining.

Oh I don't mind, Tara, smiling that big smile. I did not realize this has been KIND of covered before, so that is all OK, smiling again. I agree with ipf, that bird needs to be dealt with before she starves to death, she must eat, sigh....fix her or fix her. Still, find something to have a great day, CynthiaM.

Yep, spring is upon us and I got babies comin' out me ears, with three broody buff orpingtons and now cochins that probably will.......plus farmy cleaning up stuff, best time of year ever for surely!!

6What the beak?? Empty Re: What the beak?? Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:20 pm

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Thanks, some good info to have! Sad to say I put the poor girl down on Sunday Sad The over grown sides were at least a centemeter longer(too much to trim) and the cracks were getting more severe just from her trying to peck. I ended up with 21 of these debeaked Leghorns and a few of the other ones will benefit from a trim! Amazingly since I have had them at least half have grown back a normal beak! What I read about the mites makes sooo much sense. I have been dealing with a nasty outbreak and could not figure out how it was so out of control in some of the flock and minor in others? (Good beaks vs. Bad beaks). I actually ended up culling a few other hens on Sunday as well. Cleaned my coop(again) treated everyone and thing in there and made them up a fresh dust bath. The overall happiness in the flock seems much better! And so I am off to the coop with my clippers, nail file...and treats!

Thanks again,
KlassyChic

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum