Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Broken beak

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Broken beak Empty Broken beak Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:17 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

One of my cockerels chipped the middle out of his beak. It doesn't look like it bled or anything, just broke right to the quick. I trimmed the outside edges with a nail clipper to round it out for him.

The issue is now his top beak is shorter than the bottom. The top does not overlap the bottom like it should. I see there is a bit of non living bottom beak but I remember being advised never to trim the bottom.

Should I do anything? He seems to eat fine. But it just looks so wrong. And i want to take him to Wetakiwin in February...

2Broken beak Empty Re: Broken beak Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I trimmed the bottom once and it took forever to stop bleeding. The top will grow back and meet up with the bottom. They will use the bottom like a scoop to eat until the top heals. Just like a beak trimmed bird does.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Broken beak Empty Re: Broken beak Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:25 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks hidden!

As if -38C is not enough Rolling Eyes There is always something new to learn and cope with!

4Broken beak Empty Re: Broken beak Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:31 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My replacement POL brown layers I bought last spring all had their beaks trimmed prior to me getting them. I understand why it is done, but if it was my choice, I wouldn't do it! It just looks wrong! And these ones looked as if it was done poorly! I picked them up at the beginning of July and their beaks were supposedly trimmed a couple weeks prior. It is now the third week of January, and their beaks have not grown back to where they should be yet! They are still very short. I give them both Lime Stone and Oyster Shell soluble grit for extra calcium, thinking it should aid in growing their beaks back but it is a very slow process!

5Broken beak Empty Re: Broken beak Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:18 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Top beaks are highly unlikely to grow back completely - I had some birds with hatchery-trimmed beaks years ago, and they still looked wrong when the birds died of old age. Never again.

One important thing to note is that beak trimming interferes enormously with grooming and parasite control - in a fairly recent study, birds with trimmed beaks were found to have more than 10 times as many parasites as their intact sisters! Makes sense when you think about it, and watch how they use their beaks.

Last edited by ipf on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Broken beak Empty Re: Broken beak Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

I used to have a rooster with a weak beak, when it reached a certain point it broke off on the top. Don't know if that would be genetics or just damaged.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum