Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dirty nest birds

+2
KathyS
Swamp Hen
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dirty nest birds Empty Dirty nest birds Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:25 pm

So I've been combating this for a while, and I go through problem free stretches followed by annoyingly problem filled time.

My birds keep dirty nests. At times I could clean them once a month and they'd never get an egg dirty, but then there's times I could clean them every single day and my eggs would come out caked.

Any hints on what I'm doing wrong? The nests are on the ground right now (have been since I brought them home, mind you) and have no outer roost spots they can set in. They soil them while in the nests.

2Dirty nest birds Empty Re: Dirty nest birds Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:48 am

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is crowding? Are there certain lady's consistantly messing things up? Sometimes my birds that are lower on the peck order like to hide in the nest boxes. Extra roosting perches might help? Hope you figure it out, thats fruistraiting!

3Dirty nest birds Empty Re: Dirty nest birds Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:00 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think you will notice an improvement by moving the nest boxes up off the floor. A clear distinction between their egg-laying spot and the floor might help them learn to keep their nests cleaner. Other than that, I dont have other suggestions. Just clean out any droppings as often as you can, add new straw or shavings regularly and the eggs will stay cleaner for you.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

4Dirty nest birds Empty Re: Dirty nest birds Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:06 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are they spending the night in the nests? That is usually the only time they get sooo dirty. If they are doing that, block the nests at night so they can't get into them and unblock them for laying time.

I have to say I have never had trouble with dirty nests. My birds always seem really good about them.

5Dirty nest birds Empty Re: Dirty nest birds Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:06 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Kathy, I think you are onto something here. I have seen hens jump on the edge to get into the nest box and defecate before entering. Perhaps there needs to be a definition clear in the hen's mind, which is floor and which is nest box. That makes total sense. Awesome days, CynthiaM.

6Dirty nest birds Empty Re: Dirty nest birds Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:42 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I go through the poopy nest box stage when I introduce youngsters to the group. They get bullied and shoved off the roosts, then huddle in the nest boxes all night and fill them with poop.

If your adult hens are pooping while laying eggs, then I agree that the difference between ground and nestbox is not clear enough. You might not be able to get them screwed to a wall just yet, but can you set them on blocks or some stacked 2x4s, just to get them off the ground a bit?

I'm with you, poopy eggs and boxes make me furious! Mud is one thing, they can't help muddy feet, but poop? Come on!

7Dirty nest birds Empty Re: Dirty nest birds Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:10 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My nest boxes are on the floor, but separated by a 2x4 on edge. About two feet from that are roosts of varying height that they prefer over the nest boxes for spending any time in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum