Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nest Box picture

+2
Hidden River
appway
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Nest Box picture Empty Nest Box picture Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:54 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Saw this on one of my Friends pages  
No instructions but I am sure there are people on here that can build it if they wanted to
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

That looks pretty simple to build, and durable. Smile
Looks like a cut off pallet on the bottom, milk crates with a 1X4 in the front to keep the nexting materials in, then some 2x4's for separation and so forth. Thinking a person could just use the other half of the pallet for the separation?
I just might have to try this. I use milk crates upright for my nests in my breeding pens right now, work good, but having a top on them like this would maybe cause less of the crowding issues I have right now...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:37 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm getting a lot of broken eggs with the wooden boxes I made that are the same basic shape.  I have put in carpet pieces for the Delawares, but the plastic crates may be less harsh.  Any suggestions for obtaining the milk crates?

4Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:45 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Milk Crates check with your local store sometimes they will have them

Jayme did you see that the front boards are on with looks like wire ties
I wonder if they are wire tied to the pallets Or maybe use Fence staples to attach them to the pallets

5Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:40 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nifty design! Milk crates seem to be a hard find though...

Rosewood, do your nest boxes have lots of nesting material? I find a good, thick layer of straw really helps in that regard. Even when 2+ hens all cram in to one box because everyone just has to lay their eggs in the exact same spot. Rolling Eyes

6Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:43 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:Milk Crates check with your local store sometimes they will have them

Jayme did you see that the front boards are on with looks like wire ties
I wonder if they are wire tied to the pallets  Or maybe use Fence staples to attach them to the pallets

Yeah, looks like heavy duty zip ties.

7Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:20 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

The litter in the nesting boxes is definitely part of the problem as the hens just kick the litter out. I can't even find the straw in the area after 3 days so they must be eating the straw.

8Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:59 am

Flicker Chick wrote:Nifty design! Milk crates seem to be a hard find though...

Rosewood, do your nest boxes have lots of nesting material? I find a good, thick layer of straw really helps in that regard. Even when 2+ hens all cram in to one box because everyone just has to lay their eggs in the exact same spot. Rolling Eyes

Flicker, I can probably get you some. I have an in with our grocer, it's called 'friendship'. He told me the black ones are up for grabs but the yellow ones are not.

I also have a problem with birds smashing eggs, but it seeeeeems to be turkey birds smashing eggs when they get in the nest. It does not matter how much straw, once she climbs in, there's eggs smashed in the shape of a raptor foot.

Rosewood, what about laying out grass clippings to dry thoroughly and using that?

9Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:25 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

rosewood wrote:  Any suggestions for obtaining the milk crates?

Get drunk and walk home late at night on a route that takes you behind a grocery store. From what I remember of myself and my friends in university, the milk crates magically appear in your room the next morning.

10Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:57 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

if you can't wait til morning to check, don't worry, sometimes they magically appear on your head a bit sooner.

11Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:14 am

I think Hillbilly and Fowler together would leave me breathless on the floor with laughter.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

12Nest Box picture Empty Re: Nest Box picture Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:26 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened, that would be fabulous! Smile I'd love to have a few more milk crates of any colour. I actually have one prized yellow that I "borrowed" from my mum a few years ago  Embarassed until she finally relented and just let me have it.

And this way I won't have to go the Fowler/Hillbilly route and ruin my relations with our grocers in town. Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum