Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My new DIY nest boxes!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My new DIY nest boxes! Empty My new DIY nest boxes! Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm

My girls, has of late, had been discontent with their milk crate nest boxes and I had a momentary stroke of brilliance (in comparison to my other strokes of brilliance LOL).

I buy the natural cat litter from Costco, but the trouble is it leaves me with these giant green containers that I feel guilty throwing away! So they've been sitting neatly stack(ing)ed in the basement and I suddenly realized they were a great size for a nesting box. I've been having issues with girls roosting, butt in, on the milk jugs, making for a mess when picking eggs and it's been driving me nuts! These would have no roosting space and they'd be easy to clean, dust and dry.

Unfortunately, they do have a down side -- the girls can tip them when they step in, so they have to be weighted down or steadied with something that wont move. Other than that, I was so proud! I think these could also be easily mounted to a rack in order to elevate them. We'll work on that soon.

Before:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

After!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum